whining turbo i think

aldo286

my daughter has a pd 150 02 plate with 75k on it , the turbo spools up fine then at 2000rpm this whining noise starts only under load ,it doesnt make the noise when you just rev the car ,its not a wooshing noise but a whine , you can play with the noise if that makes sense take your foot of the gas and the noise is gone back on the boost and the whine is there,had it to various techs and the all think its a leak , but no one can find it ? spoke to a vw tech and he says its the bearings in the turbo that are whining , ive took the pipe of the turbo , there is no play in the shaft and it spins ok , no sign of any damage , spoke to turbo technics and they want me to send the turbo to them to check it , anyone any ideas or heard of this before, regards alan

First option is always leaking pipework, but it's really hard to diagnose without seeing the car.

Have you taken it to an independent to look at? You've done the right thing getting loads of opinions - removing the turbo isn't a small job - it'll eat a day of your time if you've not done one before - they're awkward things to get off the Golf.