7 months and 6 days later the mk6 arrives

Snoopy

I would have thought the mk6 is much more likely to develop squeaks and rattles being as it was designed to cut costs over the manufacturing costs of the mk5 more than actually being a 'new' model.

But cutting manufactering costs does not meen cutting quality and people who are not design engineers or involved with manufacturing often don't get this concept. Im not saying you don't but its often the case is all im saying and people jump to assumptions. Just because you make somthing quicker to assemble because in the design process you as a design engineer actually consulted other members of the company for there thoughts which was not the case with the mk5 i will point out (as stated by VW a few years back). Then it does not make it an inferior or worse product infact if its easier to assembly its often a better products as the monkeys building them cannot as easily screw it up.

That's the theory, but in my experience, when anything is made with 'cost cutting measures' in place, the results are usually inferior and the product becomes a 'generic' product through platform/component sharing, which let's face it, sums the VAG group up perectly, generic cars all built from the same bits!

Edited by Tipex

Its my job as a R&D design engineer to do similar to what VW has done with the mk6 i have yet to make an inferior product to the one i have replaced. I have made existing products much simpler and easier to assemble (Often the worst part of QC) therefore making them cheaper but at the same time superior quality. So i can see it from the other side were most people cannot.

Another point that may apply to VW or may not i don't know, but just because things are shared does not meen there the same, each part of a group often has different standards. I due to a contact have seen this with renault/nissan shared parts. A certain nissan based renault the rear axle was not upto nissan standards and so was dropped. This happens a huge amount with all sorts of sort of things, different standards a diff version of a part but the public don't get to hear about it, or see it, and jump to assumptions its all the same. Which is incorrect.

Edited by Snoopy