mk3 golf driving me mad!

hi, ive got a mk3 golf 2.0 that is giving me huge headaches, drives like a dream 50% of the time the rest it judders when i take my foot of the accelerator, when slowing down at junctions etc it either idles perfectly one minute or judders like crazy then stalls, took it to a garage who said it was the oxygen sensor, had that replaced still the same problem, then had the air flow meter changed,didnt solve the problem so i went to another garage who put it on a diagnostic machine and changed the temperature sensor, and surprise im still have the same problem.....HELP!

• 3 weeks later...

buy a can of MAF sensor cleaner (mass air flow) and try clean your MAF sensor, its located right next to your airfilter, running along the airhose to your throttle body, if its dirty, it could send the wrong information to your ecu, and cause your problems the link below is a picture of your MAF sensor, completely remove it from your car, and then use the cleaner on it, allow it to dry, re-secure it to your car, and dry driving it now, and let me know how it works.

http://www.pgautosale.com/catalog/125001.jpg

thanks will try that tomorrow, the car has now been to the garage about 10 times, had the oxygen sensor,maf,ecu,temp sensor, hoses and now the throttle body changed and still the same problem, luckily ive managed to return the ecu and throttle body as these werent faulty, im losing the will to live with this car!!!

Might also be worth cleaning the throttle body with Carb Cleaner (available from Halfrauds).

Spary in loads (engine off) let it soak for a while and then start the engine in a few minutes. Lots of smoke.

Then when the engine is warm, spray the stuff in with someone revving the engine.

cleaned the maf sensor, throttle body, and the garage checked the car over again and said it might be the crank sensor, but they couldnt find one on my car, everyone is now at a loss, vw and the other 3 garages i have taken the car to have no idea what is wrong with it, i dont know what to try now or where to take the car, the only option i can think if is to change the engine completely, anyone got any other ideas????

• 1 year later...

I have recently bought a mk3 golf Gti and I am starting to pull my hair out with the running problem it has. It splutters under load, randomly, sometimes fine sometimes awful. It ticks over at about 900rpm and sounds fine but when I'm driving it seems like it has a misfire and the loss of power is drastic. Annoying as I love the way they drive when good.

I have replaced the following;

Spark plugs (ngk)

Ignition leads (gsf)

Distributor cap

Rotor arm

lambda sensor

breather pipes

air pipes all over

cleaned throttle body

coil

also had the timing checked

I have had it diagnosed by a garage and they are telling me that it is showing the sensor in the distributor is faulty, I just don't want to through any more money at it with out knowing. It's really getting to me.

HELP !!!!