37 replies to this topic

#1 Black Rat

Black Rat

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

Simple question is why do folks get them ?

#2 cruiser647

cruiser647

BBC Correspondant

• Members
  • 28,245 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

I think they are usually (or were) found on old cars - pre-60's. Before the advent of reliable all-weather vinyl and sticky stuff.
Not for modern cars.

Possibly mainly US cars where the prisoners used to make them!

You are the son of a thousand fathers. Every one of them, a ******* like you!

#3 Mook

Mook

the Puke like

• Moderators
  • 30,831 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

Welcome to Tyresmoke Black Rat +++

Black and silver pressed ones are, like Cruiser says, for pre 71 cars. There's a lot of scene people who put them on their cars, German style etc.

To answer your question, though - no idea!
Yeah, yeah...

#4 Black Rat

Black Rat

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:46 AM

I've seen quite a few on modern cars, and I'm curious as to why folks are buying them ?

Welcome to Tyresmoke Black Rat Posted Image

Cheers mate.

#5 Mook

Mook

the Puke like

• Moderators
  • 30,831 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:47 AM

Because they can. Technically they're illegal, but that doesn't mean much!
Yeah, yeah...

#6 Booster

Booster

Caravan Salesman

• Members
  • 8,430 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

Tend to see a lot of them on black Range Rover Sports :coffee:
​Seen the light.....

#7 Black Rat

Black Rat

Fiat 500

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:08 AM

Tend to see a lot of them on black Range Rover Sports :coffee:

And BMW X5's

I think they get discount on the plates if they buy illegal tint for the windows as well.:grin:

#8 m4ttm4son

m4ttm4son

Audi R8

• Members
  • 8,023 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

You can get legal metal pressed ones now. The reason they were illegal is because they had no reflective high-vis coating like the modern plastic ones. I've been thinking about getting some as my plastic ones are de-laminating, so think metal ones should last longer IMO.

#9 Cockney Boy

Cockney Boy

Volkswagen Golf GTi

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

The pressed metal paltes are not legal, as these plates cannot be read by ANPR camera's. If found using these plates, you will get a nice fine and a few points. +++
A6 Avant 2.7 TDI S Line (C6)
MMI 3G
Audi RS6 LED headlights with AFS
LED Tail lights
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Stage 2 re-map (+45 PS & 100nm)
Winter Pack
Flat Bottom MFSW
Rear view camera

Next Project
Jeep Wrangler TJ with 35" wheels, 9500lb winch, 3" body and 3" chassis lift

#10 m4ttm4son

m4ttm4son

Audi R8

• Members
  • 8,023 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

The pressed metal paltes are not legal, as these plates cannot be read by ANPR camera's.

This is the issue which I thought had been sorted. FFS

#11 Mook

Mook

the Puke like

• Moderators
  • 30,831 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

What's a pair of metal plates cost you Matt? Is it not cheaper to buy additional "normal" plates every two years or so, rather than fork out for the metal ones?
Yeah, yeah...

#12 SINGH

SINGH

BMW 330d

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:29 PM

I brought a set of pressed metal plates about a year a go as I prefer the look of them. Every car that goes into my local Shell get ANPR'd as I have seen the police lurking around the corner and busting someone once (probably for no tax/insurance) and it has ANPR in Operation written by the pumps as well.
I was even stopped by an undercover traffic officer in a Focus ST because I suspiciously turned into a driveway then back out again (was my friends) and he had a good look around my car and didn't mention the plates whatsoever.

My pressed plate :)

Posted Image
RS6 V10 Saloon - Ceramics, Milltek, MRC, 757 BHP/967NM
'13' plate DS3 DStyle Plus 1.6 HDI Company Car, 88 MPG

#13 bazza_g

bazza_g

Clumsy Bastard with pipe & slippers

• Moderators
  • 19,643 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

The pressed metal paltes are not legal, as these plates cannot be read by ANPR camera's. If found using these plates, you will get a nice fine and a few points. +++

I don't get that, why would the material the plate is fabricated from prevent an ANPR camera from reading it? :confused:

#14 Drinks

Drinks

Atomiser

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

I don't get that, why would the material the plate is fabricated from prevent an ANPR camera from reading it? :confused:

Surely it meets and has passed BS AU 145d and is legal or not...

PART 1
VEHICLES REGISTERED AND NEW REGISTRATION PLATES FITTED ON OR AFTER 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (MANDATORY SPECIFICATION)
1. The plate must be made of retroreflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of -

(a) the British Standard specification for retroreflecting number plates published on 15 January 1998 under number BS AU 145d[13], or

(b) any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British Standard specification,

#15 Cockney Boy

Cockney Boy

Volkswagen Golf GTi

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

Because ANPR camera needs a refective surface to see the numbers and letters correctly. It also needs the spacing between the letters for a positive I.D

MMI 3G
LED Tail lights
Winter Pack
Flat Bottom MFSW
Rear view camera

Next Project

#16 Scotty

Scotty

Ooh we can change our Member Titles!

• Members
  • 17,700 posts
  • Location'arlow & London

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

I thought it was coz you couldn't press the legal font's into metal. i.e. the sharp corners etc :confused:

Audi B8 A4 Avant 2.0T FSI quattro S-Line Executive
Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird

Suzuki GSX-R1000 (Road / Track bike)

#17 Speedywheels

Speedywheels

Vauxhall Corsa VXR

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

I'm not saying you are wrong but these guys think you are.

3D Vision Number Plates
.:R32 - quickly destroying the planet and emptying my wallet

#18 Tipex

Tipex

A right arse

• Members
  • 17,078 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:15 PM

Not sure I'd trust the info on that site to be honest, it's a bit heath robinson, and the link to the metal plates goes to a web registration site.

I cant really see any problem with them though, if the font is correct, and the colours, and it's got the BS mark or whatever it is, then I can't really see how what it's made of is important.

And I'm pretty sure there is nothing in the MOT regs that states what a plate should be made of.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.

#19 Biscuits

Biscuits

Mr Chick

• Members
  • 4,284 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

I've had German font pressed plates on my Audi and BMW's and believe me ANPR can read them fine ! :ffs:

Have been stopped once after over taking a marked up car doing 70mph (I was doing 70 according to my Road Angel :) ) Just told to get them changed as they don't have the BS standard and supplying dealer details on them.

They are LEGAL in the EU, it's just not legal in the UK to have them as the font is different

Edited by Biscuits, 31 March 2010 - 07:50 PM.

#20 Cockney Boy

Cockney Boy

Volkswagen Golf GTi

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

ANPR wont read them, all the system will do is flag them up as un-readable and notify the operator to performa manual check. Trust me i work for a Security manufacturer who designs systems with ANPR and facial recognitions systems.

I've had German font pressed plates on my Audi and BMW's and believe me ANPR can read them fine ! :ffs:

Have been stopped once after over taking a marked up car doing 70mph (I was doing 70 according to my Road Angel :) ) Just told to get them changed as they don't have the BS standard and supplying dealer details on them.

They are LEGAL in the EU, it's just not legal in the UK to have them as the font is different

MMI 3G
LED Tail lights
Winter Pack
Flat Bottom MFSW
Rear view camera

Next Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic