Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Black Rat

Pressed Metal Number Plates

38 posts in this topic

I think they are usually (or were) found on old cars - pre-60's. Before the advent of reliable all-weather vinyl and sticky stuff.

Not for modern cars.

Possibly mainly US cars where the prisoners used to make them!

Welcome to Tyresmoke Black Rat +++

Black and silver pressed ones are, like Cruiser says, for pre 71 cars. There's a lot of scene people who put them on their cars, German style etc.

To answer your question, though - no idea!

Tend to see a lot of them on black Range Rover Sports :coffee:

And BMW X5's

I think they get discount on the plates if they buy illegal tint for the windows as well.:grin:

You can get legal metal pressed ones now. The reason they were illegal is because they had no reflective high-vis coating like the modern plastic ones. I've been thinking about getting some as my plastic ones are de-laminating, so think metal ones should last longer IMO.

The pressed metal paltes are not legal, as these plates cannot be read by ANPR camera's. If found using these plates, you will get a nice fine and a few points. +++

What's a pair of metal plates cost you Matt? Is it not cheaper to buy additional "normal" plates every two years or so, rather than fork out for the metal ones?

I brought a set of pressed metal plates about a year a go as I prefer the look of them. Every car that goes into my local Shell get ANPR'd as I have seen the police lurking around the corner and busting someone once (probably for no tax/insurance) and it has ANPR in Operation written by the pumps as well.

I was even stopped by an undercover traffic officer in a Focus ST because I suspiciously turned into a driveway then back out again (was my friends) and he had a good look around my car and didn't mention the plates whatsoever.

My pressed plate :)

AmarS8_2009_10_17_20_.jpg

The pressed metal paltes are not legal, as these plates cannot be read by ANPR camera's. If found using these plates, you will get a nice fine and a few points. +++

I don't get that, why would the material the plate is fabricated from prevent an ANPR camera from reading it? :confused:

I don't get that, why would the material the plate is fabricated from prevent an ANPR camera from reading it? :confused:

Surely it meets and has passed BS AU 145d and is legal or not...

PART 1

VEHICLES REGISTERED AND NEW REGISTRATION PLATES FITTED ON OR AFTER 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (MANDATORY SPECIFICATION)

1. The plate must be made of retroreflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of -

(a) the British Standard specification for retroreflecting number plates published on 15 January 1998 under number BS AU 145d[13], or

(b) any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British Standard specification,

Because ANPR camera needs a refective surface to see the numbers and letters correctly. It also needs the spacing between the letters for a positive I.D

Not sure I'd trust the info on that site to be honest, it's a bit heath robinson, and the link to the metal plates goes to a web registration site.

I cant really see any problem with them though, if the font is correct, and the colours, and it's got the BS mark or whatever it is, then I can't really see how what it's made of is important.

And I'm pretty sure there is nothing in the MOT regs that states what a plate should be made of.

I've had German font pressed plates on my Audi and BMW's and believe me ANPR can read them fine ! :ffs:

Have been stopped once after over taking a marked up car doing 70mph (I was doing 70 according to my Road Angel :) ) Just told to get them changed as they don't have the BS standard and supplying dealer details on them.

They are LEGAL in the EU, it's just not legal in the UK to have them as the font is different

Edited by Biscuits

ANPR wont read them, all the system will do is flag them up as un-readable and notify the operator to performa manual check. Trust me i work for a Security manufacturer who designs systems with ANPR and facial recognitions systems.

I've had German font pressed plates on my Audi and BMW's and believe me ANPR can read them fine ! :ffs:

Have been stopped once after over taking a marked up car doing 70mph (I was doing 70 according to my Road Angel :) ) Just told to get them changed as they don't have the BS standard and supplying dealer details on them.

They are LEGAL in the EU, it's just not legal in the UK to have them as the font is different

ANPR wont read them, all the system will do is flag them up as un-readable and notify the operator to performa manual check. Trust me i work for a Security manufacturer who designs systems with ANPR and facial recognitions systems.

Hmmmm..... that's strange as when I've been filling up at petrol stations which have ANPR CCTV, my reg has always been listed by the systems.

Because ANPR camera needs a refective surface to see the numbers and letters correctly. It also needs the spacing between the letters for a positive I.D

ok, you're going to have to get more techincal with me then - why does the ANPR camera need a reflective surface to read the plate? Reflect what? Last time I checked cameras could still film non reflective surfaces...?

My reg gets picked up fine at Heathrow airport, I push a button and the barrier goes up and in less then 5 seconds I have my parking ticket with my reg no on...

You don't get points for illegal number plates, just the £60 fixed penalty and a form sent to DVLA with a photo of the illegal plate.

I used to work for the company that project managed the implementation of the Congestion Charging... I know for a fact that the system is capable of flagging stuff like TAXI (or Police for that matter) written in plastic on the cab roof without issues. A metal plate such as the ones being discussed should show up fine.

If the system detects something it thinks is a number-plate but has issues (e.g. can only get partial number/letters) it will flag these for manual checking.