Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snoopy

Warning: Watch out for VW cost cutting.

20 posts in this topic

A-pillar blue paint only goes halfway to the edge of the wing edge and also not all way down the apillar.

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00450a.jpg

Back of the front wings in the door jam area no real blue paint just grey, notice it below the wing crease. Note: the blue is mainly reflections

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

Front wheel arches behind and in the strut turret

DSC00448.jpg

Boot floor (interior), why are some of my hooks blue and some grey makes no sense.

Note the sound damping pads and grommits are black were other cars i have seen there coloured.

Note: Also how my back panel in the second photo below of the boot is a different shade of white again, with brown seam sealer in view.

DSC00537.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

Under the back of the car only grey white paint. Around the boot area, note the car only has 100 miles on in 99% dry conditions

DSC00542.jpg

DSC00541.jpg

Rear wheel arches (i think i spot a hint of blue overspray here at least :grin: )

DSC00548.jpg

If that is representative of 2010 VWs then I can safely say you'll never see one on my drive. People say Audis are overpriced! At least they're finished properly, that is a disgrace, absolutely shocking. Good luck to them selling £40k Golfs if that's their idea of quality.

To be fair my old M3 (previous gen) didn't have a painted bootwell. It was primer as well. But the other bits on the mk6 are a bit poor IMO

The boot well/floor pan bits wouldn't bother me too much but the exterior is unforgiveable. I cannot believe that is normal for a VW (or any manufacturer for that matter); if it is, then they've got serious problems which will affect sales. How can you possibly expect people to part with 10s of thousands for a car that looks like it's been resprayed by a very dodgy back street garage (no offence meant Snoopy :()?

Bit of a dilemma there for you Geoff - especially as you've been right royally messed about over this car?

Options?

1. Reject

2. Get Dealer/VW to correct poor external paintwork and risk a unacceptable job.

3. Accept it as 'new normal'

If it were me I'd be looking to get rid - as it'll never be right in your eyes now?

Good luck - and such a pity that this happens to some who actually cares - rather than a fleet user who couldn't give a toss :(

I haven't heard of anyone else flagging up problems with shoddy paint on the new GTI. Could this be a one off of are they all finished like this?

The car was delivered a week gone friday when i was not in so no i have not rejected it. It basically sat in my garage for a week as it was pissing down and it arrived filthy.

I went to two local dealers on Thursday evening and had a look at the cars outside and one GTD in the showroom.

It seems it does not just effect 2010 cars i got to see a 2008 R32 in light grey which the a-pillar bit was the same as mine!

I also got to see some new unregistered golfs

A graphite blue base model had similar a-pillar to mine just not quite as bad but very similar.

A pair of black TDIs when looking through the door shuts you could see the paint similar to mine on the rear of the wing.

A-pillars were fine on those from what i could see but the panel gaps in this area varie wildly! These two cars the gaps were very small so they may have been like mine.

I got to see two dark grey GTDs,

One in the showroom whos boot floor was similar to mine. (not sure of the back panel as i did not get a chance to check that bit)

Its a-pillars were slightly like mine but not as bad.

The rear of the wings were about 3/4 as bad as mine.

So looks like this is normal VW paint in the past few years.

I have been asking on other forums for others to post pics so i can compare to see if this is normal or not but only one or two have helped sadly.

Edited by Snoopy

Have you brought the issue up with the supplying dealer yet?

Personally, I wouldn't care what any other Golfs are like, I don't care if the car in the showroom has sh1t paint too, I've just bought a new car, I expect it to be painted properly.

Until people start refusing cars from manufacturers that make poor quality products, they'll keep doing it.

I've been saying it for for a while now, that VW give the illusion of being a quality product, but actually haven't been very good quality for some years now.

To put it slightly more directly, are you actually going to do something about it, or are you just going to bore us by moaning about it on here? :coffee:

To put it slightly more directly, are you actually going to do something about it, or are you just going to bore us by moaning about it on here? :coffee:

The point is i want the FACTS before i challenge them.

If you don't want to read the post then don't, rather than make useless unhelpful coments. :rolleyes:

After looking at a few more golfs today and even the new polo it looks like this has been happening since 2005 when the mk5 came out.

If someone had bothered to spot this in the past, and point it out, like i just have NOW! to help inform others i would not have bought the car in the first place.

Are forums not here to help and inform others of whats going on? I guess you think not.

Edited by Snoopy

Just don't research your facts for too long or you'll reduce your position for any negotiation, time is not on your side.

Inform the dealer immediately that your not happy, then carry on your research whilst you wait to hear the response.

Just don't research your facts for too long or you'll reduce your position for any negotiation, time is not on your side.

Inform the dealer immediately that your not happy, then carry on your research whilst you wait to hear the response.

That's a good shout. I'd agree that the best course of action is to tell the dealer and VW UK that you are unhappy asap. +++

The point is i want the FACTS before i challenge them.

If you don't want to read the post then don't, rather than make useless unhelpful coments. :rolleyes:

After looking at a few more golfs today and even the new polo it looks like this has been happening since 2005 when the mk5 came out.

If someone had bothered to spot this in the past, and point it out, like i just have NOW! to help inform others i would not have bought the car in the first place.

Are forums not here to help and inform others of whats going on? I guess you think not.

We are all here to help, Garcon was just having one of his PMT 5 minutes they come and go not even he knows when or why. :rolleyes:+++

But you do need to raise the issue with them and PDQ.

Garcon was just having one of his PMT 5 minutes they come and go not even he knows when or why. :rolleyes:+++

Aye, you'd f*cking know about them, wouldn't you Phyllis. :rolleyes:

To be honest it's shoddy work from VW but I suspect that from a technical point of view they will just say that's how they come, if there were any bare metal then fair enough but it's all painted and sealed. From memory my last 3 cars all had "primer" in the boot well.

Good luck though in what ever course of action you decide on.

I emailed my dealer (they are 240 miles away and useless with a capital F.)

I have been messed about by them for over 7 months now, thats a very long story. Put simply they really don't understand simple instructions so this will just baffle them.

I have emailed VW customer service who have a case still open on my car due to my dealings with my dealer in the last 7 months.

I sent them both copies of the 2 a-pillar photos and 2 of the rear of the frontwings/door area one from inside the car and one from the outside. As these are the worst areas and not really acceptable imo.

It does seem though that this is the normal VW paint finish and mine is just one of the medium to worse cases, the colour does not help as it highlights it and my panel gaps in the a-pillar/wing area are quite large compared to some.

I emailed my dealer (they are 240 miles away and useless with a capital F.)

I have been messed about by them for over 7 months now, thats a very long story. Put simply they really don't understand simple instructions so this will just baffle them.

I have emailed VW customer service who have a case still open on my car due to my dealings with my dealer in the last 7 months.

I sent them both copies of the 2 a-pillar photos and 2 of the rear of the frontwings/door area one from inside the car and one from the outside. As these are the worst areas and not really acceptable imo.

It does seem though that this is the normal VW paint finish and mine is just one of the medium to worse cases, the colour does not help as it highlights it and my panel gaps in the a-pillar/wing area are quite large compared to some.

You've done the right thing getting it logged mate. No it's just a matter of making enough noise for them to do something about it! If the panel gaps are noticeably wider than on other cars then I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for that to be sorted out. I've got a pal who made his Audi dealer refit the dash in his A4 because it wasn't central and the gap on one side was wider than the other!!!!

Get a solicitor, a letter and dump the car right on their front main enterance.

Riz +++

Snoopy, sounds like you're doing the right thing in contacting VW customer service, given the fun and games you've already had with the dealer.

Unfortunately I suspect VW will say you've missed your chance to reject the car, but if there's anything actually wrong with the paintwork that should be rectified under the paint warranty.

If they successfully argue there's nothing wrong and that's standard quality it's a great shame - everything I've heard about the Mk VI until now has been good, interior quality to rival cars well above its sector.