China GP Banter

Cagey

McLarens and Mercedes fast in P1.

Scary incident for Sebastian Buemi - BBC Sport - F1 - Buemi's wheels shear off in F1 crash :eek::eek: , although I like how he still tries to steer away from the wall.

EDIT: During the onboard footage, watch the spectators scatter as one or both of the wheels bounce over the catch fencing. Not good. I think STR will be getting a visit from FIA bods very soon.

Edited by Cagey

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF happened then? they just popped off, how the hell does that happen?

:eek:

New uprights were fitted and they must have overdone the weight-saving as they clearly weren't strong enough and being carbon fibre they failed catastrophically rather than flexing or bending as ally ones would have.

I've been at a race when a wheel has jumped the fencing and it is very scary, luckily no-one was hurt but that's more luck than anything else. A fast moving wheel has a lot of momentum and the fencing would have to be very high to stop it if it took off at the right (wrong?) angle. The one I saw went about 30ft into the air.

Right, so who's going to win? I reckon

1 Button

2 Massa

3 Vettel

Alonso will retire with reliability probs, Hamilton will be too busy whinging to notice he's being overtaken and Webber will get tapped off by someone on the first corner. Rosberg will be fourth and that other German bloke in his team (who's name I forget) will finish somewhere around tenth...

One good thing to come out of this ash nightmare that's stopping me getting to Tenerife.... Eddie Jordan can't fly out to China either to present the F1! :grin:

Ah disagree I like EJ - he may be a bit of a clown but you can not fault his knowledge and contacts in the pit lane.

Great drive once again from Jenson and I loved watching 'the rainmaster' being overtaken ....lots! :o

Good race to watch again, just need a bit of rain in every race this year to make sure there's no more prosessional races again!

Wait to see Lewis' and Mclaren's fate on the pit lane release and also the incident pushing Webber off after the restart ...payback for Australia I think personally! :D.

The release is questionable yeah, but theres arguments for both sides really... could swing any way. Although they are discussing on the "F1 Forum" the possibility of Hamilton being punished for not yielding when Vettel was alongside him in the pitlane, as opposed to the "unsafe" release.

As for Hamilton pushing Webber off... couldnt see anything wrong with that? Vettel was closing in on the other side and he had nowhere else to go :o

Interesting how it's the second race in a row that Hamilton is getting a reprimand!!! For me in this race alone he should have been "reprimanded" 3 times !! Don't really see how Vetel gets an equal slap on the wrists for that.

Well done Button, would have won by a country mile if not for the 2 safety cars.

Don't really see how Vetel gets an equal slap on the wrists for that.

Because in the eyes of the stewards they both were at fault. Hamilton should have yielded and Vettel shouldn't have crowded him off.

When I first saw it, I thought the fault was entirely with McLaren and Hamilton. Having seen the replay, the McLaren release was just one of those things, and as EJ said there is no way any lollipop man could have reacted quickly enough to hold their guy back. Once they were both released like that, ending up alongside each other, it was down to the two drivers to sort it out amongst themselves. With the benefit of replays and hindsight, we can easily see that it was Hamilton who should have given way, but he wouldn't have been able to see this at the time - from his viewpoint it would have been a Red Bull suddenly trying to overtake him in the pitlane. I think most drivers - let alone somebody as hot-headed as Hamilton - would have found it difficult to yield under those circumstances. But yield he should have done.

If that had been the end of it, a reprimand would only have been due to Hamilton. But Vettel decided he needed to mark his territory by twitching his steering wheel towards Hamilton, pushing him towards the other teams' pit boxes. There was no need for this - he had a clear exit ahead and Hamilton was heading for the wall. But it was this act that made him deserving of a reprimand.

A couple of years ago, I'd have been saying that there needed to be proper penalties over this sort of behaviour - drivers can't be arsing about with dozens of mechanics milling around. But the current rules pretty much make this sort of event inevitable. The shorter pit stops resulting from no refuelling. The closure of the pit-lane during safety car deployment. The requirement to change tyre compounds every race. The difficulty of overtaking on the track. All these things lead towards more congestion in the pit-lane and more pressure on teams to get their car in and out as fast as possible.

What a cracking race, plenty to keep the viewer occupied in that race.

Button did another cracking job, his smooth un-fazed driving style is doing wonders this season as predicted though it was also great to see Hamilton fight through the pack to get second.

As for the reprimand, they both got released within a fraction of a second to each other but by the time the Mclaren had dropped off the jacks and struggled to get away they were both along side each other. Hamilton should have backed off but then Vettel squeezing him towards the pit garages was hardly going to get un-noticed either. I think it was a racing incident that got the right judgement, two wrongs and all that.

As for the bits going into the pits I bet Massa and Alonso have a big falling out over that move (yes I know Hamilton and Vettel did the same), not very sporting towards someone in your own team.

Schumacher wasn't too happy today I bet he isn't used to being passed by so many people, bless him. :eek:

This season is shaping up to be a cracker, again. +++

Because in the eyes of the stewards they both were at fault. Hamilton should have yielded and Vettel shouldn't have crowded him off.

When I first saw it, I thought the fault was entirely with McLaren and Hamilton. Having seen the replay, the McLaren release was just one of those things, and as EJ said there is no way any lollipop man could have reacted quickly enough to hold their guy back. Once they were both released like that, ending up alongside each other, it was down to the two drivers to sort it out amongst themselves. With the benefit of replays and hindsight, we can easily see that it was Hamilton who should have given way, but he wouldn't have been able to see this at the time - from his viewpoint it would have been a Red Bull suddenly trying to overtake him in the pitlane. I think most drivers - let alone somebody as hot-headed as Hamilton - would have found it difficult to yield under those circumstances. But yield he should have done.

If that had been the end of it, a reprimand would only have been due to Hamilton. But Vettel decided he needed to mark his territory by twitching his steering wheel towards Hamilton, pushing him towards the other teams' pit boxes. There was no need for this - he had a clear exit ahead and Hamilton was heading for the wall. But it was this act that made him deserving of a reprimand.

A couple of years ago, I'd have been saying that there needed to be proper penalties over this sort of behaviour - drivers can't be arsing about with dozens of mechanics milling around. But the current rules pretty much make this sort of event inevitable. The shorter pit stops resulting from no refuelling. The closure of the pit-lane during safety car deployment. The requirement to change tyre compounds every race. The difficulty of overtaking on the track. All these things lead towards more congestion in the pit-lane and more pressure on teams to get their car in and out as fast as possible.

Find all the excuses a bit lame actually, Vetel was in the lane where hamilton wanted to be, he knew he was close as did the lollipop man but they chose to release him on a split second decision (tough that's what they get paid for) Vetel was clearly moving first and because of the proximity of the garages obv would be inside the required release space!! It's not rocket science! They made a bad call which requires a penalty then Mr Angry then compounds by driving along outside the pit lane strip and then tries to muscle vetel out of the way!! It's not designed for 2 cars wide Hamilton you Muppet! vetel then moves to the edge of the line to stop him trying to leap frog him! he never crosses the line!! FFS Hamilton almost drove over a mechanic in the pit in front of him!!

Just watched it again and clearly vetel is a good cars length out of his box before the MC lollipop man raises his board - the whole idea of the new rule was to stop this so why not stick to it on the first time it is contravened??

Really don't see how Vetel gets a reprimand for refusing to be budged over by a car running along the garages and not the pit lane!! I really think driving along there on it's own is bloody dangerous and should be penalised!! Just adds to my thoughts on him - a F@cking idiot!

Byron, Vettel didnt just refuse to be budged over - He himself was budging Hamilton towards the mechanics. If he hadnt done that, then he probably wouldnt have gotten a reprimand.

You seem to be directing it all towards Hamilton, where under those circumstances he has no control of when hes being released. His car is surrounded by mechanics, making it impossible for him to see anything behind him through his mirrors. His trust is placed entirely on his team at that point to release him safely.

As for the lollipop-man, looking at the replays from Vettels cam, his view is clearly obstructed by bodies, and his main priority is looking down the pitlane itself, and not at the garages behind Hamilton. When Hamilton is released, Vettel is not in the pitlane. This is exactly what the lollipop-man would have seen, and would have reacted on this.

Perhaps Vettel should have backed off on the exit pit lane incident?! Hamilton made it clear to me that he felt he should have been in front of him. Had he over taken Vettel in the pit lane then he would almost certainly have received a penalty then.

Hamilton came across very badly again when he was interviewed. When questioned about the incident he made out he didn't know what the interviewer was on about whilst he was obviously thinking of what to say. Of course he knew what they were on about - just lied again...

He's a great driver but really doesn't really help himself sometimes.

Edited by Tarmac_Terrorist