Why you shouldn't wash your car this weekend

farmerpalmer

Intreasting stuff, i already washed mine last week and will probably do them tommorow too! There is always the problem of mixing ash with water and then ending up with high or low PH reaction causing problems with the protection or rubber etc.

I have seen people saying the ash is sharp, i dont think i have even seen any ash around my way. So a decent pre-wash and wash with a good shampoo and really good rinse would be ideal.

Yes definately interesting but have just washed my car this evening,but another question springs to mind.With all this dust settling on our cars,what about the water we use to wash them.With a lot of reseviors open to the elements doesn't the dust go in the water?

And then I wonder is it filtered out completely or is it not possible.you then use this contaminated water on your car.

Like I say just a thought. :confused:

I didnt read this before cleaing my car today, having said that i always rinse, snow foam, grit guard and two bucket method when cleaning the car.

My reason for wanting to clean the car was that it had been sat in the open for two weeks and was covered in dust (i only got back from the USA yesterday), knowing how bad this volcanic ash stuff is i wanted it off the car asap.

Sadly my concerns were confirmed once i had finshed cleaning and drying, all the upper surfaces have been pitted, its like a million small mild bird etchings, size of the are like small water drops.

Im guessing whilst i was away it either rained or dew formed on the car, mixed with the ash and turned acidic :( i have come to this conclusion as the marks are only on the upper facing surfaces (roof and bonnet being the worst effected)

Tried Dodo Lime Prime by hand on a small area, seemed to clear it a bit, then tried a clay bar - no effect. Guess next step will be Dodo Juice Lime Prime by machine and see what that does.

Im rather annoyed at the moment, owned cars for over 20 years and ever since i paid out for a professional detail last year the car has been hit with major bird crap and now this :(

I didnt read this before cleaing my car today, having said that i always rinse, snow foam, grit guard and two bucket method when cleaning the car.

My reason for wanting to clean the car was that it had been sat in the open for two weeks and was covered in dust (i only got back from the USA yesterday), knowing how bad this volcanic ash stuff is i wanted it off the car asap.

Sadly my concerns were confirmed once i had finshed cleaning and drying, all the upper surfaces have been pitted, its like a million small mild bird etchings, size of the are like small water drops.

Im guessing whilst i was away it either rained or dew formed on the car, mixed with the ash and turned acidic :( i have come to this conclusion as the marks are only on the upper facing surfaces (roof and bonnet being the worst effected)

Tried Dodo Lime Prime by hand on a small area, seemed to clear it a bit, then tried a clay bar - no effect. Guess next step will be Dodo Juice Lime Prime by machine and see what that does.

Im rather annoyed at the moment, owned cars for over 20 years and ever since i paid out for a professional detail last year the car has been hit with major bird crap and now this :(

Hi

Sorry to hear there has been damage done to your car's paint work,I washed mine today snow foamed first then rinsed,followed by the two bucket method as car has been covered in dust for about a week. But I seem to be lucky compared to yourself there doesn't seem to be any paint work damage.

I am having it professionally cleaned next week not a full detail,if they spot anything hopefully they can sort it.

Rick

Oh wow Spikeyboy! Hmm, i knew that was a possbility but i did not think it would happen to anyone.

Are you sure its acutally damage to the paintwork not ask or something bonded to the car? I have seen the effects of acid rain removed many times so i suspect you have a fixable problem. You will probably need something more aggressive then Lime Prime though as it contains some fillers you might not know how far your getting.

You can always try claying the car too if they are above the surface damage it could be the ash has formed and stuck on the car giving the feeling of pitting. Does the damage look like the images in this post? How To Remove Water Spots - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

Geoff

Geoff,

Thanks for your reply - i first tried limeprime by hand on a side panel - it improved it a bit, then tried claying a small area of the bonnet but had no effect, hence why i beleive its echted.

Think i will try scratchX-2 with mild polishing pad.

Not a great picture, but you can see the marks on the bonnet, if you look directly at the bonnet you cant see them, look from the side and it looks real bad.

[ATTACH]39072[/ATTACH]

Worst bit is the wife saying "its only a car" so i have somehow got to find the time to get out there, wash the car again and then hit it with the DA and ScratchX-2, then wax again.

post-14723-137914447501_thumb.jpg

Now thinking about getting some better polishes to sort this out with my Megs 220.

Thinking of getting:

Menzerna Final Finish Polish - P0 85 RE 5 - 250ml

Menzerna Power Finish Polish - P0 203S - 250ml

Presume that 250ml will be enough to do the car ?

I have the Sonus Red, White and Yellow pads to use with my G220.

Presume the above polishes will be good to use, and the power finish should be used with the White (medium) pad and the Final Finsh with the Red (polishing) pad ? will i actually need both products or could i just use the power finsh polish with first the white then red pads ?

My only other concern is that the car was corrected by Nathan at Cambridge Autogleam last year, so trust doing it again wont be an issue and i run out of clear coat.

I'd imagine you've got a good 10 hours solid work correcting and rewaxing via ayour DA polisher.

I'd imagine the Menz 203s would do the trick nicely on a polishing pad (not familiar with the colours / type you have without researching).

I believe the 203s will finish down to a nicely without a seperate finishing polish but you'll need to work it very thoroughly so as not to leave micromarring from the abrasives not being broken down properly

Pehaps Nathan took some depth readings before your earlier correction. I'd imagine you'll be fine or i'm sure Nathan would not have taken the risk with abrasive polishes in the first place. He probably only removed 3-4 microns at the most.

Personally I'd be tempted to try Autoglym SRP via DA first on a polishing pad. SRP does contain some abrasives and cleaners. I've achieved some great results from SRP via my Kestrel dual action polisher and working it fairly well. True, it does fill scratches / swirls well but obviously it's the cleaning / light abrasive properties that matter here.

It would be much quicker if srp does work too. Why nor try taping off a quarter of your bonnet first and having a good bash at it. You can always step up to the more abrasive Menz polishes if you need to. :)

250ml of polish will be enough to do your car....and the rest of your neighbourhood too!!

Thanls for the reply.

10 hours - ouch the wife wont be happy.

I have a couple of bottles of SRP laying around so could give that a go first, will order an extra polishing pad as well as the menz stuff, just in case the SRP doesnt work and i need to use the menz.

Sonus pads: Red = finishing (no cut) White (polishing, mild cut) yellow (heaviest cut).

I hate that damn volcano, not only did i get stuck away from home on my birthday, plus an extra 2 days away, but it also buggered my car, and i only applied a fresh coat of Dodo Super natural the week before i went away.

Hi Spikey,

I have the 203s and just used this weekend, it corrects really well on an Orange Lake Country Pad on the Mitsubishi which is really soft paint and finishes out well too. Had an accident hitting some bits of a bush a few weeks ago!

I think its a good all around polish, i cant help but think prehapes SIP would 100% clear up the problem. Either products, on hard paint would need to be followed with less potent like the other Menz you mentioned.

I would start 203s on the Sonus White, but i suspect you will need it on yellow and speed up at around 5-6 and a bit of pressure to start.

As TT said your probably fine with regard paint depth, you never know b/c you dont know who what happened before you had in your hands. But you'll probably be fine.

Once you have primed the pad you need a couple of pea, if not smaller size drops for a foot or so of polishing!

Let us know how you get on.

Geoff

Hi Guys,

my gear turned up yesterday.

Menz Power finish polish and Final Finish polish, plus new megs soft buff 2 polishing pad.

Had yesterday off and after spending most of the day shopping with the wife at Bluewater, she let me get out on the car, sadly just as i finished drying it it started raining (just light drops), anyhow i wasnt going to let this stop me at least trying out the menz power finish polish on the megs pad to see if it would work.

Managed to do one hit on the whole bonnet, and it appears to have sorted the problem out.

Now to find the time to do the whole car properly.

Also spent most of last night watching you tube videos on how to use a PC to polish, was doing a coulple of thing wrong (only had speed 4.5) and also using wrong amount of product.

Also from what people were saying on youtube, it would appear very diffuclt to actualy run out of clearcoat using the megs G220 with mild polishes.

Thats great news that you can sort it out and that your mastering the polisher! I hope you find the time over the bank holiday, prehapes you will have to take the wife shopping again!

Once you have the knack of the polishing, ie speed, movement and how much polish getting good results becomes alot easier.

I found 203s (Power finish) very easy to use, you will probably achieve more gloss with the Final Finish as a second step if you have time. If you do not dont worry as you can wait until the autumn to give your car a yearly "clean up" with Final Finish. Remove light marks that we get from general use and washing and restore some gloss.

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...