AMI Retrofit Info

Mitchet

All now fitted and working. Interestingly, both players worked fine without enabling the second one in the CAN gateway.

The only annoying thing is the way the AMI seems to forget which album/track was playing when the MMI system is shut down. Any fix for this? It plays the first alphabetical artist, and I don't care for ABBA to anything like that degree!

Ian

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an iPod thing :)

You'll probably find that that battery in it is screwed, so it has to reset every time. Mine would do it if I hadn't been in the car for a day or two (that's how long the iPod battery would last on standby). After a couple of hours it would be OK.

Not a problem with the USB HDD so far.

Yep.. When the iPod had charge, it was up and running in a second or so. When it was flat, 10-15 seconds was the norm. The HDD takes a wee bit to start up as it's always a cold start. A flash drive may be a bit quicker as it doesn't have to spin up.

Thanks - at least I now know what to expect.

I'll try and get some charge into "Ghetto Pod" as it's now known, try and find the 32GB compact flash that I know I have "somewhere" and see what works out best.

If anyone else needs the AMI fitting instructions, they are here.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/433250/AMI%20Retrofit%20Instructions.pdf

The instructions give the part number for the kit, which includes cables and the instructions. You then just need the AMI itself (which includes radio keys) and an iPod and/or USB lead.

Ian

OK, I bought a new iPod for this application, and fully charged it before sticking it into the AMI. It all looked fine to start with, but I just got sodding Dancing Queen when moving the car. I drove it maybe 10 miles on Friday, and just a couple of miles yesterday, so I guess the iPod went flat.

What's odd is that it still seems to be on even after being left in the drawer for a few hours - the Audi logo is still on the display and there is text on the screen. Is there some way to either get it to shut down or to keep it powered from the car battery?

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks

sorry getting little confused so what are the part numbers for ami for a8 3.0 and want to keep the Cd working.

Have mmi version 21.2.0 so will need to buy upgrade if i buy the 5570 if thats the latest will i need disks for firmware inbetween or will it go this far.

how do you protect battery with a charger ?

cheers

M

According to my notes, you need:

4E0 057 785 B [AMI Module & Casing]

4F0 051 592 A [MOST and PSU cables + instructions]

4F0 051 510 L [ipod cable ]

You may also want the USB cable. I got one but probably won't use it.

You will also need the MMI update (very cheap from dealer) and theoretically a VCDS lead to enable the second CD changer. Mine was already enabled.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi all, first post here, be gentle!!

just picked my A8 D3 up last friday, shes back in the shop today having a few things put right, ive serious seperation issues at the moment! such a great car.

now i was in the main Audi centre on tuesday seeing about sat nav retrofit(i was quoted €8,000 incl labour by the way!) but was told that AMI cant be retrofitted, but from here, it obviously can!

do you reckon my best bet is to order the parts from the Audi centre, or online, then get them to do it, or is it literally so easy that anyone can fit it in! i have zero confidence in touching anything on the car! :confused:

one good thing is that they offered to update my mmi as it is on a 2004 version and only shows numbers dialed through the bluetooth from my iPhone, so an update shoould help that issue.

so any help and advice is appreciated, looking forward to getting some pics of my new baby up here and getting some more like minded advice!!

Hi, and welcome to TSN!

Funny that Audi have said they'd upgrade your MMI but then told you AMI can't be retrofitted, as normally the reason for Audi saying they can't retrofit AMI is because they don't want to do the MMI upgrade!

Anyway, yes you should be able to retrofit AMI (I did on my 2005 A8), so it comes down to whether you are okay to do it yourself or get someone else to do it for you. I personally think it's a very simple upgrade, and even easier if you just replace the CD changer for the AMI unit. When I did mine, I didn't even have to take the glovebox out or dismantle anything on the car (aside from simply removing the cd changer temporarily to get access to the cables).

If you don't fancy the DIY route, see what Audi will charge for the whole job (including the kit), which should be no more than £399. Alternatively you could try someone like Craigyb (you'll see him around on some TSN threads) and drop him a personal message.

If you're around the Peterborough area, I'd be happy to help. I bought my AMI from Peterborough Audi for less than those going on ebay, so beware of paying too much if you go down that route.

thanks for the welcome guys!

firstly, craigyb, thanks for the offer mate, really appreciated, my car is in the shop at the moment getting the power boot fixed, wont be back until 7pm. pity as it would have been handy!

im going to audi on monday to see about the ami parts, ill give them the part numbers and see how much it will be, i want to lose the cd changer, as i will never ever use it when my ipod is in, so as long as its a completely straight swap of cd changer out, ami module in, ill do it myself.

i may very well be taking a trip over to the uk soon as i found somewhere that will fit the OEM sat nav for £1200.

Seems expensive when I do the sat nav for 800 quid. Im still in dublin until sunday.

Audi seem reluctant to do anything really,there are no Audi dealers in Ireland anymore, they are regrouping and running it all themselves centrally, im going up there now to get a price on the AMI parts, but if its more than £300 ill tell them where to go.

if you have an AMI with you craigyb i could meet you later this afternoon where ever you are in dublin and do it there and then, depends on what quote Audi give me.

i know i cant pm so ill email you through your site later this afternoon if Audi shaft me.

cheers!

Your best bet for the MMI upgrade disks is to look on eBay for the original Audi set. I've heard a few shocking stories about people who have downloaded them only to find one of the files corrupt and it leaves you in a world of pain with module with no software!

I bought a set a few months back for £15 to my A8 and my brothers A6. If you get stuck, I can always ship these over to you.

Mostly labour, and mostly for my peace of mind. Sure I already had a source of the discs, but the thought of bricking a module with zero recourse wasn't something I was happy with. Neither do I have a way to keep the battery topped up through the upgrade process, and it's my only car.

While I know the upgrade is supposed to be a "insert disc, walk away for 40 mins, repeat" type of job, they spent more than an hour in the car it due to one of the modules needing several goes to upgrade.

And, WizBit, "£100. Ouch"??? You own an A8! £100 ought to be pocket change :-D :-D