Snow Foam Vs Car Shampoo

Rick 63

Hi Rick

Snow Foam is dedicated to the purpose of being on the car and softening dirt, car shampoo isnt. The problem with using car shampoo is getting the right dilution ratio so that you wont strip wax but will strip dirt.

Car shampoos can also tend to dry out and leave marks on the windows etc. I would stick to Snow Foam, it costs alot less too!

Some car shampoos do make good foam, Optimum Car Shampoo gives some serious foam!

Detailers Pride (DP) also make a hybrid car shampoo/pre wash foam, i quite liked it.

Make sure with the 2 bucket method your MF cloths that they are quite plush. I always use a wash mitt but i know some people like cloths.

After recommendations on here, i started using sno foam a few years ago - great stuff.

In the winter it is so much easier removing all the crud, and rarely needs a second going over.

In the summer, i usually snow foam and then 2 bucket method for the better finish.

cannot recommend it higher.

I tend to rarely snow foam these days unless the car is really filthy. I'm mindful that it is potentially a little harsh to the LSP (wax) if used weekly. It' sa bit like washing the car twice.

I'm too fussy to just snow foam and then just let the car dry and snow foam does not remove enough dirt to allow proper drying without marring the paint.

It's handy to have the foam and lance in the kit box and it does have an important place / part to play - particularly before a full detail beit my car or someone elses I happen to be working on.

I think my foam is made by Autobrite - Super Snow Foam? Pink stuff??

I was using Bilt Hamber but ran out so trialled using my Duragloss Shampoo instead today and have to say it works well. Like TT I'm little concerned about snow faom stripping wax. When I use it and then rinse off you can noticably see reduced water sheeting / beading.

I am continually impressed by Duragloss products. Currently doing an alloy wheel experiment, one side of the car with AG SRP / EGP and the other Duragloss 601 PBA, 111 CCP and then 105 TPP. The latter combo produces better sparkle and brake dust repelent, lets see about durability.

PG you might see a reduction in beading or sheeting as the snow foam may leave something on the surface. Or you might not be leaving be leaving the brighteners that Duragloss 90X leaves behinds.

If you like DG90X then you should try Chemical Guys Glosswerks! Its quite economical and unlike Hyperwash or Bilthambers shampoo you dont need to add more to make it "decent".

It doesnt clean as well as 90X so i wont be using it in the winter on my daily driver but it does leave an amazing shine and its very lubie too!

Im also no big fan of Snow Foam, it has its place but it is not as effective on all dirt as i think they would like us to believe.

Geoff

Hi

Thank you everyone for your input as I am new to this snow foaming,1st decent car for a long time.Seems snow foam is better than foaming car shampoo and it has it's place,not neccessary to use all the time.

Thank You

Rick

Think the key is to remove as much dirt as you can before actually touching the car, this will then reduce the chances of putting swirls in when you touch the car, which you have to do to remove all dirt.

Completely agree +++

I always wash my daily driver weekly and in the summer months, it probably doesn't really get dirty enough to warrant snow foaming up. A thorough rinse with a hose pipe and spray nozel is usually all that's required. Also depends where you live. My inlaws live in a small village and gave to travel down narrow lanes everywhere. One rainy day and their car is plastered!