intake or exhaust

jhal

hi all,

did a bit of digging around but did not find anything definite.

my gti has been mapped, and thats all so far....

been getting a bit itchy lately and was thinking about upgrading the air intake or the exhaust, eventually both will be done.

however i am wondering which is the better starting point, i am not looking for a power increase, as the remap has taken care of that.

i am looking to make the car a bit more drive-able, and i am wondering what would best suit the remap?

i am currently leaning towards a cat-back milltek, then the TB or de-cat down pipe,

or would i be best just biting the bullet and getting the full TB system? even though i would be parting with about 1500Eur, by the time it is shipped.

all thoughts welcome.

thanks

Change the exhuast first and, if your money will stretch that far, get the full turbo back system. If not, do it without the cat first. Milltek is your best bet.

You should also consider getting it remapped again to take advantage of the exhuast - the Milltek frees up a whole load of power and torque, especially when it's mapped to match.

You'll get minimal advantage from an uprated intake, even a cold air intake (CAI).

mook,

thanks for the info.

have you got a milltek?

is it a resonated or non. i spend about 70% of my driving time on the motorway, and have heard that the non-resonated can get a tad annoying.

so thinking the resonated one would be the better choice.

cheers.

I've run full Millteks on four of my cars. Non-res on the R32 was too loud, but it was modified in other areas as well, so was loud with the res. Res on the S4 was a bit too quiet, but I did like the V8 rumble :D

I'd go for resonated, especially with motorway miles. Doesn't make any difference to performance, but you can still hear it properly +++