Getting Rid Of E46 vert For Diesel Hatch, But which one?

j50sho

hey guys, im a young lad new to this forum, had my license a year but im 20.. already wrote my r32 off as my first car but as it wasent my fault it didnt effect me as much, ive got a e46 vert m3 rep for sale which i fell in love with for sound and looks but now its come where i need someting cheaper to run but guttsy..

im looking at these, i want to razz them up abit as my golf was around 200bhp

golf gt tdi 2.0 140

audi a3 2.0tdi

audi a4 b6 1.9tdi

mini one or cooper

bmw 120d

what do you guys think?

Welcome to Tyresmoke.

Do you want go, or handling and go ? Out of your list I'd take a close look at a 120d simply because of the RWD/Driver involvement thing. The Mini One (petrol I assume) will be a plodder, the Cooper isn't much better (but the Cooper S is). The others are pretty similar I reckon, the best guy to talk to is Ben (Shark Performance), he'll tell you how much can be wrung out of each TD engine and the ins and outs. Shark Performance - Volkswagen Audi Seat Skoda Mercedes BMW Ford Renault Tuning

Good luck +++

thanks mate, hmm i like the 120d coupe but not sure on the 5door and as the coupe is newer i doubt ill be able to afford that. im kind of looking at the a3 tdi and making a project of it over a year or so see how much bhp i can get out of it.

I dont jst want fast in a straight line i want somthing thats comfortable when it needs to be as ill be covering 300miles once a month, my bmw is too loud for me on the long journeys.

thanks for the help :D

Small? Diesel? Quick? good handling?

I wouldn't look past one of these mate:

Boss Performance : SEAT IBIZA 1.9TDi Cupra 2005

Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI.

I had one for about 9 months and loved it. The handling isn't quite as sharp as a Mini - but it's not too far behind and with a few tweaks, it could match a mini all the way. Out of the box the 1.9 has 160bhp and suits the car very well. As standard, it chewed Cooper S's for in gear acceleration because if it's 250Ib's torque figure. As standard the Cupra did 0-60 in around 7.2 seconds. Comfortably quicker than any listed above.

A re-map would give it c210bhp - and around 300Ib ft of torque. Mine returned around 55mpg on a motorway run and about 45mpg around town.

I needed something bigger so chopped it in for a GTi - but really was gutted to sell it.

It's a very rare car - so something different and stylish from your usual common stuff.

P.S - if you decide to do some research by means of forum searching - don't believe the bull **** the owners of the TDI FR owners come out with - Their FR's are nothing like the Cupra.

Edited by 330dcoupe

Evo Loved it: SEAT Ibiza Cupra TDi | evo Car Reviews | Car Reviews | evo

So did autoexpress:

SEAT Ibiza Cupra TDI Car Reviews | New SEAT Ibiza Cupra | SEAT Hatchback Cars Review

Autocar also did it a group test against the most powerful diesel cars out the time and it really held it's own. I can't find that article.

I also forgot to mention, it revs nothing like a normal diesel VW. It's almost like a VTEC - when you think the usual diesel wave of torque is coming to an end - it just keep getting meatier; and it makes a lovely rasping noise from the big oval tailpipe.

I think my enthusiastic reply to this thread shows how much I enjoyed mine. LOL!

thanks for the replys guys.

Look Im gonna come clean, im abit of a badge snob.... i mean i want somthing that does as you say just not a seat or skoda.. no disrspect to the drivers but the guys i see driving them are the 28year old, ginger, glasses, and never had a girlfriend before kind of drivers. plus im pritty sure somthing with a better badge i.e an audi will hold its value more.. i forgot to mention, im a first year uni student so mpg and holding its value is VITAL.

i like the idea of getting a cheaper a3 2.0tdi getting it wrapped in white and start playing with the beast get near to the 300bhp as poss.

let me know what ya think...

oww btw, ive seen an rs4 tdi diesel, which i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee but couldnt justify turning it on and hearing the tractor grumble

lol.. sorry to cut the story for you..

btw if u ever lose or dont have a job, apply to seat for the promo team lol, the way you speak about that car its like a testical... i yet to feel that about a car, maybe when my insurance isnt 7k for an r32 at 18 haha

I have had a 2.0tdi s-line A3 DSG that was mapped. Alright, but nothing more than a nice interior and pretty bland to drive.

When I sold my last M3 there was only one car for me, 335i or another 1 series. I ended up with a mapped 123d.

It was my second 1er and they are fukin' awesome motors.

The hatch is a little more edgy than the coupe to drive, a bit more twitchy and a bit more fun, not much, but definitely a slight edge.

I would go for a mapped 120d, awesome all round car. +++

300HP diesel front wheel drive doesnt sound like fun mate, sounds like useless brag for a pub debate.

You want usable power and a decent car. The SR180 comes with wheels and suspension set up from Toyotas Motorsports div.

Enlightening info on tuning and stuffs for people to read....

http://press.tunit.com/press_releases/toyotaauris.pdf

I had no part in producing this document, thats a different Geoff.....

thanks for the replys guys.

Look Im gonna come clean, im abit of a badge snob.... i mean i want somthing that does as you say just not a seat or skoda.. no disrspect to the drivers but the guys i see driving them are the 28year old, ginger, glasses, and never had a girlfriend before kind of drivers. plus im pritty sure somthing with a better badge i.e an audi will hold its value more.. i forgot to mention, im a first year uni student so mpg and holding its value is VITAL.

i like the idea of getting a cheaper a3 2.0tdi getting it wrapped in white and start playing with the beast get near to the 300bhp as poss.

let me know what ya think...

oww btw, ive seen an rs4 tdi diesel, which i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee but couldnt justify turning it on and hearing the tractor grumble

Personally, I would think you have a bit of taste and knowledge for cars if I saw you in a Cupra TDI than a Audi TDI. I'm not getting the whole badge thing either...The Seat uses Audi parts and is owned by them. Would you rather have a run of the mill Audi A3 or a (very) rare performance diesel which allot of people have never seen...never mind heard of?

It's your choice of course .... but I wouldn't putt 300hp through the front wheels of an Audi - as it's a bit of a suet pudding for handling. And I'd imagine it would be very hard to put that sort of power down...unless you get a Quattro, of course.

What car is in your picture? And what is your username? Your personalised plate?

thats my plate mate, just awating putting it on retention for when my new baby comes.

its a e46 vert 320ci m3 rep carbon fibre hood

btw if u ever lose or dont have a job, apply to seat for the promo team lol, the way you speak about that car its like a testical... i yet to feel that about a car, maybe when my insurance isnt 7k for an r32 at 18 haha

Was the 7k quote after or before your accident?....please tell me you did`t actually pay 7k just to get behind the wheel of an R32.

lol, before mate.. i had it insured as standard when i was 18 and it was 7k, wrote it off and lost 3k for modifications!

Undeclared modifications ? Hmmm, not wise admitting that in the public domain. Also, badge snobbery is ignorance epitomised, the Seat/VW/Audi/Skodas are all more or less the same Kraut in a different frock, but you'd be daft to ignore 'em. Try one. Then get a 120d ;)

Carbon fibre bonnet on a 320ci ? You can get spray on stuff now, print this off and take it to Kwik Fit for a free can : +++

EZCFC.jpg

No. I have not particular interest in SEAT as such - just giving you (the best) Idea for something to fit your criteria. I just find it annoying when people dismiss something without even trying it. ;)