Key Fob Stopped Working

j50sho

hi guys i noticed my fob started to die the other day when it took a couple of press's to open the car, now its died...

whats the best route from here, dealer £100 or can i get a key and get it programme at bmw for cheaper?

thanks

• 6 months later...

The coding of the key to the actual car, in my experience, only takes 2 mins and when I had to buy a new key the dealers coded the key for free (they did point out that they could have charged me) so I think the majority of the cost is in the key itself rather than the programming. If you really didn't want to go to the main dealer a lot of the indys now have the same EWS/key equipment (at least my local one does) so may be able to do some parts of it for you, but I've no idea if they could actually cut the key for you.

Edit: Sorry I just noticed the original post was from May so no doubt you've dealt with this now!

Edited by saab

• 11 months later...

depending on the era of the BMW i think i see an e46 in your avatar you can pair the replacement key to your car so far as the unlocking/locking side goes. bmw or person with the technical knowhow will have to cut the key and deal with the immobiliser side of things but the locking and unlocking remote function can be programmed with a set of keypresses and key turns. google knows all on that, its very straightforward.