O Dear!

Woppum

I have just seen the prices of RS4's on PH. It seems the prices for a good one are under 30k for a saloon which is reasonable when you consider a new coopers s works is 26k ish and good gti's are 30k!

what are running costs like? Do audi do warranty extensions, if so how much? Any known problems i need to think about or colours that are stupid when resale comes? There is a red one with grey wheels i quite fancy.

need to buy something within the next 2 weeks. I am away very soon virtually non stop and the gt3 has over 3.5k now. Any help at all very much appreciated?

The car would be a personal buy so really looking to see how much it would cost me as a 2yr ish prospect.

thanks,

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Audi certainly do warranty extensions, but I think they are £2k or so. On Dynos most put out 380BHP, but MRC tuning can work some magic on it. With an exhaust/map and a few other things and they make 447BHP on the dyno. Yes 50 BHP difference on a NA engine!

I would try and buy one from an Audi dealer, it will come with one year warranty anyway and try and get another year thrown in as a deal closer? Plenty of sub £30k ones here at Audi.

Audi Used Car Locator

wopps, warranty extension is now £1600 :eek: and can only be extended as long as the car is still in warranty

you need to try the bucket seats v the standard recarros to see which suit you best

make sure its got a FBSW

colours are down to preference, not a major effect on price unless yellow!

mpg will be somewhere between 15-28 depending on how hard you drive it, remember its a 4.2 but the noise will more than make up for it

rs246.com is a good place to look for info but I think its down at the moment and I wouldn't neccesarily trust dealer cars too much even though they offer you a 1 year warranty > I've found its better to do your own background checks rather than trust the crap audi tell you!

best bet would be to try and find a 1 owner car with low miles, but I guess that may just be above the 30k budget

ask if you want any more info +++

thanks guys. need to do the math on this one. is it much better than an s3 for example or is that a silly question? It is more than i wanted to spend unless i find a good 25k example but that will be a bit more worn than i would have liked. only just realised you could pick them up for these prices. need to sit on my hands till the morning.

I would say so, if only for the noise they make over the S3s 4 pot. You can get some sub £25k examples from autotrader then buy a warranty from someone like warranty direct I suppose. How about a S8, yeah its a barge but have you heard the V10!!

Think you can pick up a nice one with Bang & Olufsen sound and cermaics for just under 30k.

I have one & did a fair bit of research so here is my 2penneth

They are good cars, they feel "special" when you drive them & still have a lot of "presence" so I think will hold their value for some time to come.

I know you will be used to spending money with Shell but they are thristy 26 mpg average, round town worse still. Weak points seem to be the brakes (well they seem to last well or chew through depending on the driver) replacing them is I think about 1500 so check them out & DRC (suspension) but this is covered for 5 years from Audi now. There was a minor face lift when they got clear indicators although mine is an MY07 but has the orange indicators - there were a few revisions (clutch pipe was the main one I think) also people seem to prefer the clear indicators so might be worth trying to get one of them. Colours are a bit take it or leave it - Avus & Daytona are popular as the "stealth" colours, Sprint Blue & Red as the "enthusiast" colours.

Avoid any car without the "lambo" wheel (FBSW) as people just don't like them come resale time although the other wheel is more useful as it has phone/stereo controls instead of the lap-timer. If you have to get one with the std wheel then TT-RS wheels are a popular fix. Phone cradles are also unpopular so most get removed or (like I did) just fit the Audi Bluetooth kit & dial from the RNS-E (it syncs the phonebook calls etc. with most modern phones). Technology pack was popular (adaptive lights, coming home lights, Sat Nav) & so was dimming mirror, auto wipers etc. RNS-E is considered a "must have" but is easily retro-fitted so probably not that important when buying, the choice of seats is a matter of preference so wheel is the only real "deal breaker".

The engines can use a bit of oil & smoke a bit on start up (although a software fix reduced this) but considered reliable - the speed is good although am sure you will be used to that ! Tax is 405 apart from a few early ones that snuck into the pre April 2006 regime. All in all running costs are bad if used to "normal" cars but so far not hugely worse than my R32 was although the round town fuel is noticeable, + things seem a "bit more" Servicing seems OK so far but lots of oil (9 litres) Get one with an Audi warranty with the car then after a year can decide if worth re-newing or not. Finally, there is no spare wheel & you can't tow/add a tow bar (although I think some people adapt S4 ones).

I have one & did a fair bit of research so here is my 2penneth

They are good cars, they feel "special" when you drive them & still have a lot of "presence" so I think will hold their value for some time to come.

I know you will be used to spending money with Shell but they are thristy 26 mpg average, round town worse still. Weak points seem to be the brakes (well they seem to last well or chew through depending on the driver) replacing them is I think about 1500 so check them out & DRC (suspension) but this is covered for 5 years from Audi now. There was a minor face lift when they got clear indicators although mine is an MY07 but has the orange indicators - there were a few revisions (clutch pipe was the main one I think) also people seem to prefer the clear indicators so might be worth trying to get one of them. Colours are a bit take it or leave it - Avus & Daytona are popular as the "stealth" colours, Sprint Blue & Red as the "enthusiast" colours.

Avoid any car without the "lambo" wheel (FBSW) as people just don't like them come resale time although the other wheel is more useful as it has phone/stereo controls instead of the lap-timer. If you have to get one with the std wheel then TT-RS wheels are a popular fix. Phone cradles are also unpopular so most get removed or (like I did) just fit the Audi Bluetooth kit & dial from the RNS-E (it syncs the phonebook calls etc. with most modern phones). Technology pack was popular (adaptive lights, coming home lights, Sat Nav) & so was dimming mirror, auto wipers etc. RNS-E is considered a "must have" but is easily retro-fitted so probably not that important when buying, the choice of seats is a matter of preference so wheel is the only real "deal breaker".

The engines can use a bit of oil & smoke a bit on start up (although a software fix reduced this) but considered reliable - the speed is good although am sure you will be used to that ! Tax is 405 apart from a few early ones that snuck into the pre April 2006 regime. All in all running costs are bad if used to "normal" cars but so far not hugely worse than my R32 was although the round town fuel is noticeable, + things seem a "bit more" Servicing seems OK so far but lots of oil (9 litres) Get one with an Audi warranty with the car then after a year can decide if worth re-newing or not. Finally, there is no spare wheel & you can't tow/add a tow bar (although I think some people adapt S4 ones).

Great summary mb, you've pretty much summed it all up....dont forget black is the fastest though!

attachment.php?attachmentid=39380&stc=1&d=1275679737

post-579-137914449172_thumb.jpg

Woppum,I bought my RS6 from a dealer (Audi Tonbridge- they turned out to be a bunch of cocks but thats another story) Audi gave me the standard 12 month Warranty and I also managed to get and extra 3 year warranty thru them via inchcape, I don't know where this figure of £faaasands is coming from, but audi were and as far as I know still are charging £399.00 to extend the warranty at date of purchase. they will also sell you tyre insurance which is great, mot insurance and also warranty the DRC system for 5 years or 100k miles IIRC.

Mate of mine has just bought his second B7 Avant with ceramic brakes, my god its a good car...

Mooch

Cheers for the comments chaps, but i have a feeling the rs4 is going to be a fair bit more expensive to run than other contenders. I may be wrong nd you may be able to help.

With about 8000 mile per year for 2 years I think all in it will cost between £6-12k on Sorroco R, Golf Gti, Cooper Works, S3.

The RS 4 I am guessing 'could be' considerably more than that. especially when i have to renew the warranty.

Gti is top of the list as it makes very economical sense as a company car with fuel benefit (unlike the others). Trouble is i just cant find any stock! Want to buy something next week!

Are you looking for a new GTI then? I maybe able to point you in the direction of some that are in the UK already!

Yes mate.

Think it is coming down to a new Gti or (or next to new) or a Roccy R.

Any hlp you could give here would be a blessing. Foind a couple of R's im going to have a look at this morning, Gti's, have no idea where to start!

thanks,

I would say so, if only for the noise they make over the S3s 4 pot. You can get some sub £25k examples from autotrader then buy a warranty from someone like warranty direct I suppose. How about a S8, yeah its a barge but have you heard the V10!!

Think you can pick up a nice one with Bang & Olufsen sound and cermaics for just under 30k.

Holy feck, that S8 sounds awesome!!!!

Cheers for the comments chaps, but i have a feeling the rs4 is going to be a fair bit more expensive to run than other contenders. I may be wrong nd you may be able to help.

With about 8000 mile per year for 2 years I think all in it will cost between £6-12k on Sorroco R, Golf Gti, Cooper Works, S3.

The RS 4 I am guessing 'could be' considerably more than that. especially when i have to renew the warranty.

Gti is top of the list as it makes very economical sense as a company car with fuel benefit (unlike the others). Trouble is i just cant find any stock! Want to buy something next week!

Are you sure you've done the sums right? because if you consider depreciation, I think the RS makes perfect sense, and there is no comparison, I came from an Edition 30 Gti (basically the same engine as the new model) to the RS4 and there is just no comparison, I mean just none at all, have you driven one? I swapped with my business partner for the MK Meet last week, he drives an R8 and we both agreed my Avant feels faster! and I went to the tip with a boot full at the weekend.

Are you sure you've done the sums right? because if you consider depreciation, I think the RS makes perfect sense, and there is no comparison, I came from an Edition 30 Gti (basically the same engine as the new model) to the RS4 and there is just no comparison, I mean just none at all, have you driven one? I swapped with my business partner for the MK Meet last week, he drives an R8 and we both agreed my Avant feels faster! and I went to the tip with a boot full at the weekend.

Agreed, was the price of things like the new Golf R & TTRS that encouraged me to go for the RS4 as considered the total outlay would be less. However if I had a fast track car already not sure I would go for an RS4 as a 2nd car as would probably prefer something smaller/less conspicuous etc.

I had an Avant for 7 months, and averaged 16mpg - mostly town driving, brakes are approx £1000, and £800 front and rear respectively, servicing very cheap. Warranty is indeed £1600, whoever said £399 above is talking rubbish, as that wont be a AUDI warranty. Fantastic cars, but if you want a economical town car this isn't it, but in all other situations is phenomenal, boy Id love to own and GT3 RS and have this as a runabout!! Oh and a milltek catback is essential, just to release the noise. Rs buckets are essntial, as is the FMFSW and if possible Nav, but this is an easy retrofit.

Good luck in finding one

Doing the sums i dont see how an RS4 can add up, especailly if things start to go wrong. As a company car the Roccy R will cost around £3700 p/a plus maybe £1500 fuel. That is total cost p/a for say 2-3 yrs. I think the RS would be considerably more than that. Quote me happy if you like. ;)

If you want me to make the RS look as cheap as the VW then sorry I can't quote you that happy!

I guess I'm saying it's so far from a like for like comparison as a car it's not even funny, the R was beaten into last by a focus and a megane last week on 5th gear.

Agree with mb though, if it's a second car it's not the best choice, in fact now the Mrs has got the touran, I can see mine getting traded for something coupe shaped,

In fact what about a car share, I'll have the porker whi

En you need my RS4 and it won't cost you a penny, now that is a deal, lol

To be honest its not jsut the money. I want something small and understated. From what I've read and the youtube vids I've seen the r looks like the best choice for me. The focus was rubbish in every way par the drive and I'm not looking for the best drive in the world as I have the gt3 to do that job. Ill get some trofeos on it and it and a remap and it won't need 4wd to keep up ;)