iPhone 4 officially announced

Barry Scott

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STILL only 32gb?!?!

Looks like AT&T will be offering bargain ugrades to anyone due for upgrade in 2010 so long as you sign up for another 18 month contract - whats the chances of O2 offering the same? :roflmao:

I got my 3GS last June on launch day and I'd like the chance to get the iPhone 4 without being shafted... +++

I think I may make this jump from Nokia. The g/f got a 3GS yesterday on a new contract - I did tell her I was waiting for the new version. I'm on Vodafone but spend a good few quid a month on a personal contract (recharged to work) so I'd expect a good deal now I'm due an upgrade.

Rumours doing the rounds that there will be a limited upgrade offer for those on 3G/S.

My 3G was due an upgrade at the start of April - glad I waited now!

Although what they are offering is really what they should have done when it was first launched - a lot of it isn't exactly groundbreaking eg Facetime (or whatever it's called) is only available on iPhone4 to iPhone 4 and even then it has to be via WiFi.

Still, I've just signed up with O2 to register my interest for a launchday phone :D

a lot of it isn't exactly groundbreaking eg Facetime (or whatever it's called) is only available on iPhone4 to iPhone 4 and even then it has to be via WiFi.

:grin: I still remember my first video call on '3' using a NEC e606, a true shocker of a phone - it was crap then and I expect its still crap now. Even if it is only over WiFi I'm kind of glad as it means it won't kill O2's struggling 3G network!

Hopefully with the front facing camera there's now at least the chance of Skype video conferencing - fingers crossed Skype are getting on with it! +++

Hopefully with the front facing camera there's now at least the chance of Skype video conferencing - fingers crossed Skype are getting on with it! +++

They're not (well, not that anyone knows) but others will be making moves.

Skype are soon to charge for services anyway if the article below is to be believed.

It makes for interesting reading.

iPhone 4G, Skype, Video Conferencing and the Competition

get your iphones on ebay and just buy an iphone 4.

if there's one thing good about apple stuff its resale value.

unless you really need the camera, the 3gs is still a dam fine phone and with os4 offers most of the same stuff as the new one.

yes new one is faster, better screen, but really thats a selling point for attracting new customers. all the existing apps just run double size and have same resolution, so only benefit is new stuff and 3.2 targetted apps which use the variable res.

when you see the quality of facetime you'll see why its rather yum. 3g performance is a joke which is why they've specced it for wifi - probably more decent wifi hotspots than 3g hotspots in any case.

iphone4 addresses all the criticisms of previous one so will sell like hotcakes.

shame its no hdmi/mdp out as really it could handle over 1024x768 and be a proper laptop when used with a keyboard. hmm

Given the choice, which of the authorised UK networks would you all choose? I guess it largely depends on your geographical location. I'm in the South East and am constantly frustrated by O2's patchy 3G coverage.

HSDPA (3.5G) is supported by the new iPhone (I think), so which network is gonna give the best coverage? I'm out of contract with my current iPhone 3G and really don't feel like O2 has ever lived up to the service I got from Vodafone (on all fronts). Or is it all in my head?

Anyone?

I think it is all swings and roundabouts and even what phone you have makes a difference.

Was initially with Voda years ago; it was fine.

Moved to O2 for years and years with no probs.

Switched to Voda for my HD2 and I get occasional signal dropouts and frustration but I am not entirely sure if the network or phone is the culprit

I think it is all swings and roundabouts and even what phone you have makes a difference.

Was initially with Voda years ago; it was fine.

Moved to O2 for years and years with no probs.

Switched to Voda for my HD2 and I get occasional signal dropouts and frustration but I am not entirely sure if the network or phone is the culprit

I know what you mean, but I really have found O2 underwhelming. It's fine when you can get a good 3G signal, but when you can't having an iPhone is so frustrating (most of the time for me).

I always ran Nokia phones on Vodafone and had no problems. I only moved to O2 because of the original iPhone exclusivity agreement. Had I been given the choice at the time I would happily of stayed with Vodafone.

Are there any Orange iPhone users on here. The coverage map seems to suggest you have the best all round coverage, is that reflected in your experiences? Also, what are Orange like for business users? If we change carrier it would be with 10 or so users all on iPhones, so I want to be sure its not a case of better the devil you know...