(PIAA) SUPER SILICONE WIPERS

Sven

Following the Rain-X thread, I decided that's not for me. Some are happy, some render it pretty useless as the wipers apparently deminish the effect, a horror story about juddering wipers, and a general consensus it's a pain to apply. I figured as much, that's why I neber bought the stuff, so I'm not gonna go there now.

However I saw the Super Silicone Wipers and wondered if any of you have tried them. Not that my wipers are doing a bad job, but I value a clear vision, esp at rainy nights.

So whadda yall think eh? beerchug.gif

Trev knows a bit about this subject Sven.

The Rain-X is only any good at speed, it can make your windscreen smear and visability is impaired at slow speed.

It depends what you prefer, I quite like Rain-X, there's nothing better than overtaking a truck during a monsoon and not using the wipers. In these conditions there's nothing better. Also, I found Rain-X improves the life of your blades, mine lasted 40,000 miles.

Thanks mate, but I'm indeed worried about the smearing at lower speeds. I'm sure it will annoy me in city traffic and the unavoidable traffic jams... Pity, since the high speed performance sounds great.

BTW, what also bugs me is the acid rain marks which become visible when the wipers are working... You can also see them on other windows in houses and such, but I'm told you can't do a thing against that... crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you mean by "acid rain marks", what's that then?

[/ QUOTE ]

What you often see when you chamois the outside of a window after cleaning it. It looks like some rain trails are etched into the glass. Quite common here, but severity might depend on the area where you live.

You only see this clearly when you wipe the glass with a wiper or chamois, but it's a nuisance nevertheless. frown.gif

Hello,

I have just tried Rain X (outside windows) and it does works pretty well, BUT as Sven has said, 'driving at low speed in the rain they don't make a difference!

Aren't new car fitted with soft wipers,(you know what I mean) Can these be bought?, I think new Golfs have them fitted. ECLIPSe.gif

niaz....

Sorry dude, but your nuts are your own affair smashfreakB.gif

And as for the wipers, myself and JayBeeS3 have them on our cars and IMO they're better than the std ones. I can clear my screen at 200 kph whereas the std wipers started to lift off at 140-160 kph FIREdevil.gif The only problem that I can forsee, is that replacing the wipers MIGHT get a bit expensive. Other than VAG, I've only seen Bosch replacement blades, and they were almost €40.

And if you're considering this type of wiper, remember that you'll need new wiper arms as well, which adds to the initial cost of the mod crazy.gif

jump.gifbeerchug.gif

Yeah, totally forgot to look at them in Essen... smashfreakB.gif

You're both pretty chuffed with them eh?

But how 'bout those Silicone Wipers? (I gather that's not the same thing). The topic is beginning to fade a bit (and it isn't even Drill's fault) grin.gif

Anyone have any experience with those?

[ QUOTE ]

Aren't the PIAA ones like ultra expensive? Why don't you all stop being such pussies and drive like men.... 100% vision pah who needs it, I fin the standard wipers in the '4 satisfactoory up to around 160mph above that it's guessswork! ECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

£14.00 is not really in the kidney selling category no? tongue.gif

Yeah, just about... grin.gif

Luckily I have €€€€ (oops, did I really say that?) EEK2.GIFUHOH7.GIF

I feel for you, but we've always been at the wrong end, and still are in many aspects. F.i. a while back I wanted to get one of those big motorhomes and go travelling for a year or so, but by the time I had it on the road here it'd cost me twice as much as in The States... smashfreakB.gif

Houses are way cheaper in the US, and taxes are a hoot... And what about gas.... ECLIPSe.gif

But being paid in $ in Europe is indeed not the best deal right now... frown.gif

BTW: if anyone want's to talk wipers, feel free... grin.gif

Nah, sounds about right grin.gif I thought you were reffering to the Bosch refills, which I've only seen around here for €35+ The OEM ones are cheaper, IIRC I paid around €11-12 for each blade from here, and we know y'all always pay more, so €14 sounds alright smashfreakB.gif

If I ever get up the courage to get Euro's, I'll pick up a set of the Bosch refills, and let ya know how they are grin.gif

jump.gifbeerchug.gif

Sven, I had the PIAA wipers on my old Golf, and they were excellent.

As you probably read, they leave a silicon layer on the screen, which effectively acts like RainX.

I never had any problems with smearing or judder with the PIAA wipers.

The only thing I would say is that they didn't come with the small aerofoil that the driver's side wiper did on the Golf. I never found out whether or not this was an issue though, as I never took the car out for a high-speed trip.

I'd heartily recommend them though.

Trev

Cheers Trev, that's what I was curious about. It may sound okay on paper, but without any real life experience you never know if it actually works, instead of making a mess of your windscreen (which apparently can happen sometimes with Rain-X or other silicone products).

As to the aerofoil, the site says that's expected shortly, so I guess I'll hang on a bit until that one comes out.

beerchug.gif

wiper_sporza.jpg

SUPER SPORZA - Coming Soon

With safety and performance in mind PIAA has developed the new Super SPORZA Wiper.

A modified version of the Super Silicone Wiper with a lightweight UV resistant spoiler which reduces aerodynamic lift at high speeds.

• 2 weeks later...