Gran Turismo 5 will officially launch 2nd November in 3D

Anyone looking at the "special edition" versions?

Play.com have a £39.99 one Gran Turismo 5 (with Play.com Exclusive Pre-Order 'Stealth Model' Car Pack) PlayStation3 Game - Play.com (UK) - Free Delivery

and I received an email from GAME the other day about their version so called "signature edition" Gran Turismo 5 Signature Edition - PlayStation 3 - GAME.co.uk at £150!!! :eek:

I have to admit to buying the GTA IV special edition at £80 or thereabouts and the extras in the signature edition do look tempting, but at £150 it's rediculous, especially for a game that we've had to wait for so long. By now, I feel like we should be getting a discount for late delivery!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is though... do we risk pre-ordering like most did with COD MW2 and then on the day of launch the supermarkets putting it out for £25 as opposed to the £38+ most places were selling it at?

Indeed. I wasn't even going to get COD and then day after release I got it for £25. So glad I didn't preorder.

I also wonder if these special editions will be available after release or if for your £25 from ASDA versions will just be the game. Where do you draw the line at value?

• 1 month later...

I've got to say, I love the dynamic weather. It's a complex thing to put into the game and it looks great.

This video looks great, especially the rain and the karting. The tuning menus etc all look a lot better than GT4, but I just wonder if there is going to be enough improvement over forza etc to justify me buying a PS3. The sheer number of modes incl. rally, nascar, karting etc makes it an appealing prospect - I just hope there is enough quality and variety to keep it fresh. I'm feeling second hand PS3 and GT5 as a graduation present. Damn you GT planet!

So they've added night races, and different weather, apart from that, just the same old GT game.

Can't really see what it offers that is new.

I've had every single GT game since the first one, but I think this is the first one I'm not really excited about, or particularly bothered about buying, maybe it's just because I'm getting older, and computer games aren't quite as much of a priority as they used to be?

I know Barry_scott will probably have it on release day, so I'll pop round his and have a look, maybe I'll change my mind then, but I can't see it happening?

As for buying a PS3 just for GT, I wouldn't buy any system for just one game, maybe in the old 8/16 bit era when games were exclusive to one system, but these days when most games are available on every system, there will be a game almost, if not as, good on the other systems.

Well one of the big things im looking for is actual in game car damage which affects your performance as opposed to just being there visually.

I having seen anything in the vids online to show this and if they aint got it in the game after 5 years of development then they really had make some new appealing aspects of the game over the overly polished Prologue otherwise i aint buying it.

Edited by fizzbitt

I'm looking for three main things from GT5;

- Damage and realistic effects ie being rear-ended producing engine problems in a Porsche, but not in a McMerc.

- Amazing quality graphics, a step that other GTs have been reknowned for

- Realistic physics (as above)

And least importantly - The story of the game has to be something slightly different/ better than in the past. License tests and then races have been done to death, I want several more classes of racing. So far, this is what I've heard it will be like and sounds good.

I've not seen the mechanical damage engine, though cosmetic wise it looks good - race cars get more parts falling off than road cars, composites break in different ways to metal etc. Apparently the damage will affect the physics of the game and how the car handles, but this is only the first iteration of the model, and indications from PD seem to say 'don't get your hopes up yet, we need to take this further'

I've not seen the mechanical damage engine, though cosmetic wise it looks good - race cars get more parts falling off than road cars, composites break in different ways to metal etc. Apparently the damage will affect the physics of the game and how the car handles, but this is only the first iteration of the model, and indications from PD seem to say 'don't get your hopes up yet, we need to take this further'

That doesnt sound too promising... i can understand why it would be a massive task to implement this due to the hundreds of different cars they would have to indivually do for accuracy but honestly... it aint will fail at even getting close to the realism of other car racing games without some type of damage engine! :(

So when is the release date then?

Just got an e-mail from Amazon to say the release date has been changed to the 5th of November, but the Collectors edition still says the 3rd of November. Play says the 5th of November for both titles, what's right?

Probably neither :grin: How far before Christmas is the optimal release date?

• 4 weeks later...

gt-5-delayed.jpg

Anyone looking forward to buying Gran Turismo 5 when it launches on November 2nd? Why don't you have a seat for a minute, I have some bad news. Sony's Playstation Blog just posted an announcement that the game is getting pushed back yet again. The statement does say that the game will be released this holiday season, but does not elaborate more than that. Here's the text:

We can confirm that Gran Turismo 5 will not be available this November 2nd, but the game's release will be coming this holiday season.

We sincerely apologize to GT fans for the delay, however, creator Kazunori Yamauchi and the team at Polyphony Digital want to make certain they are creating the perfect racing experience, and we are confident that this ambitious game will exceed expectations when it launches.

Gran Turismo 5 Release Update – PlayStation Blog

:ffs::ffs::ffs:

Sony have messed up big time on this. Yes the creator wants it to be perfect but 5 bloody years to update it and get it back to market? Surely they can release and patch it or update it over time. GGggrrrrr

+1 :(

This just sucks... I'm tempted to cancel my order and just look forward to CoD Black Ops... in 3D!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the recent developments in the world of 'jailbreaking' so to speak the PS3 are the main cause for the delay so that the PS3's flagship title can be updated to run on firmware 3.50 which isn't yet hackable!

PS3 Firmware the Real Cause of Gran Turismo 5’s Delay?

Even with all the delays, whenever it does come out, I can't see people not buying it just because they've had to wait a few more weeks (months)! It's only been five years so far, a few more weeks ain't go to make much difference.

I would be a bit concerned thou if they don't manage to get it out in time for xmas!? That would be a massive Sony feck up!!!