Keyfob battery

Tonsko

Hey all, In previous (admittedly aftermarket) remote central locking keyfobs, when the battery goes, you can just replace it. Is that the case with the VW ones? Can you do it yourself? There looks as though there *might* be a battery compartment to the fob, but I don't want to go levering at that if it isn't it! Or should I take it to VW and let them rush me 50 quid or whatever outrageous price they will prolly want?

Yes you can do it yourself ! From memory on my Mk IV you just pulled the 2 parts apart really hard - ie key blade in one hand & key ring in the other, no need to pry apart just pull !

You may need to "re-synch" the remote afterchanging the battery by turning ignition on/off & roll windows up & down (individually) so it re-learns stuff.

Hey all, In previous (admittedly aftermarket) remote central locking keyfobs, when the battery goes, you can just replace it. Is that the case with the VW ones? Can you do it yourself? There looks as though there *might* be a battery compartment to the fob, but I don't want to go levering at that if it isn't it! Or should I take it to VW and let them rush me 50 quid or whatever outrageous price they will prolly want?

Just ask your VW parts man to do it while you wait

They do lots per week and only charge for the battery as well in most cases.

Less chance of messing anything up.