Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SuperRob

'81 VW Cabrio rough idler....help

2 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! My Girlfriend drives a 1981 VW cabrio, and recently its started to idle really rough especially after being driven for a short distance. My thoughts are that its not running on all 4 cylinders when this happens, but what would cause one to cut out periodically? It does fine under power and this problem only occirs at random times. The RPM goes from about 1000 to maybe 850 or so, and then will get worse to the point of stalling in some occasions.

Any help is appreciated as I'm really new to these VWs and dont really know where to start.

Cheers,

Rob

I'd start out as simple as possible, by checking and changing the sparkplugs if neccesary, and also look at the cables and the ignition (rotor + housing). If any or all of those are a bit over their lifecycle (or cracked) that could very well cause this. The short trip thing could indicate the ignition housing is collecting damp inside. If you don't want to invest in new cables etc. right away, you could also try one of those anti moist spraycans and see if that helps...

Oh, and welcome to TSN! beerchug.gif