Jaguar plans new models

Andy_Bangle

With the all the news coming out of Jaguar, it's obvious its Indian parents are intent on making the leaping cat a credible competitor to the world's luxury automakers. To wit: not only has Jag green-lit the XE – a next-generation XK-based competitor to the Porsche Boxster – it ready to take the fight to the BMW 3 Series in the form of a reborn X-Type.

While the previous Mondeo-based X-Type fared poorly during its run, Tata Motor's chief executive, Carl-Peter Forster, told Automobilwoche that in order for the British brand to compete on a global scale, a smaller sedan is a requirement. To that end, a new sedan is under development to slot in below the XF, likely utilizing a new aluminium architecture based on its next-generation sedan.

In addition to X-Type replacement and the new, smaller coupe – rumoured to arrive in 2012 – Forster says that work is underway on a long-wheelbase version of the XF for the Chinese market and an estate version of Jag's XF is slated for sale in Europe (XFR estate, anyone?).

On the Land Rover front, the recently revealed Evoque is the first of three new products to debut in the next five years, including an all-new Freelander with seating for seven and a revised Defender which is set to arrive in 2015.

post-2214-137914450887_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914450891_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andy_Bangle

£5.99 and a bag of midget gems if the rest of their range is anything to go by.

Not a Jaguar fan as you can tell, mainly because I have had the pain of ownership.

....and what was that pain?....I`am torn between the XF and an A5 at the moment......I loved the A5 but the XF really pulled at the heart strings.....I really don`t know which one to get and it does`t help that the dealers are beginning to think I`am just another tyre kicker....but I`am not.....I`am just torn between two cars I really like and I just know that if I get the A5 I`ll probably wish I bought the XF in a years time and vice verse.

I had an X-Type 2.5 litre V6 with every option under the sun. All £29k of it.

Winter pack, hifi upgrade, full leather, the lot.

If I had to list what went wrong with it I would fill the TSN database.

But, in summary:

1. 17.5mpg throughout the months of ownership

2. Gearbox had a mind of its own (auto) and shifted up and down at random (came close to a good few accidents because of it)

3. Doors dropped on hinges, despite numerous fix attempts

4. Everything else you could possibly imagine that probaby wouldn't go wrong on a Proton but does on a Jaguar.

The car was a total disaster and their dealers were a disgrace. It spent longer with dealers than it did with me - and that's not a joke.

We had a 2.5 SE, it was fine, but we didn't have it long, we then got a few limited edition 2.0 Sports, which are still going strong, Jaguar were replacing parts under warranty at well over 200k, that other manufacturers would claim as wear and tear at a quarter of the mileage.

The only 'fault' we've had, and it's not really a fault, is that on the Limited edition sport versions we've got, the front spoiler is so low it's been torn off on all them a few times, Jaguar initially replaced them (much to my surprise), but obviously only once on each car which is fair enough.

I guess you just had the misfortune of getting 'one of those cars' that all manufacturers turn out every now and again, we've all had one, but having a good dealer makes a huge difference as well I suppose.

I guess you just had the misfortune of getting 'one of those cars' that all manufacturers turn out every now and again, we've all had one, but having a good dealer makes a huge difference as well I suppose.

Well yes, that could be said.

However, when the courtesy car they give you, a 3.0 X-Type, breaks down within 2 miles of the dealership you do start to wonder. But no to worry, because they then apologised profusely and gave me a lovely XJ for 2 weeks. What a lovely car that was. It was a shame to see it go away on the back of a low loader when it failed to start 2 days running.

Jaguar, not my favourite brand.:roflmao:

They were distant memories until you reminded me of all this and I am now suffering from increased heart rate at the thought of that brand experience all over again.:roflmao:

New X-Type info, from Autoexpress so take with a pinch of salt obviously...

car_photo_383938_25.jpg

car_photo_383935_25.jpg

Replacement for X-Type confirmed, with hi-tech aluminium platform scheduled for whole range.

The baby Jaguar is back! Following our previous recent story, bosses at the British firm’s parent company, Tata, have confirmed that a BMW 3-Series rival – designed to sit below the XF and replace the X-Type – is already under development. And our exclusive pictures show how the compact newcomer could look.

The announcement came from Tata chief executive, Carl-Peter Forster. He admitted that for Jaguar to take on its German competitors globally, a smaller, higher sales volume saloon was a necessity, and so work has begun on the new car. Although the Ford Mondeo-based first-generation X-Type was hardly a sales success, a replacement is on the cards – thanks in part to the positive reception the RD6 concept received at the Frankfurt Motor Show seven years ago. In keeping with the XF and XJ, the next car will feature a cutting-edge design, but to separate itself from the larger models, there will be plenty of smooth curves instead of sharp creases.

As our images show, an interpretation of the XF’s rectangular mesh grille and swept-back headlights would give the front end the new Jaguar family look. At the back, more rounded edges to the boot, boomerang tail-lamps and pronounced curves over the wheelarches create a distinctive and muscular stance. Under the skin, the plot thickens, though. Our sources have revealed that Jaguar is working on an all-new aluminium rear-wheel-drive platform for the X-Type replacement, with the aim of making it the lightest, best-handling car in its class.

Such a massive undertaking would absorb a large chunk of Tata’s £1billion per year research and development budget for Jaguar/Land Rover, so to spread the costs, the modular platform will also be used on the next-generation XF, XK and an all-new sports. Bearing in mind that the big XJ already uses an aluminium chassis, this would mean the range would eventually be all aluminium, with significant benefits for fuel economy.

Also boosting the newcomer’s green credentials will be a pair of downsized four-cylinder engines – diesel and petrol turbo units, with the former replacing the Ford-sourced 2.2-litre oil-burner that’s currently fitted to the Freelander in Jaguar/Land Rover’s portfolio.

A range-topping 3.0-litre V6 turbodiesel could also be offered, as well as a hybrid version in 2015. This would pair the V6 diesel with a 35kW (47bhp) electric motor integrated into an eight-speed ZF automatic transmission.

When it appears in 2012, the 3-Series rival will be earmarked as Jaguar’s big-seller – but even without it, things are going well for the British brand. Latest sales figures show that it shifted 6,776 cars in June – 59 per cent more than in the same month last year.

Read more: Jaguar's new 3-Series | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

If it actually looked like that (quite possible given how close the XF is to it's prototype/early drawings) it'd be great, but being Auto Express, thats pretty unlikely, shame as thats a great looking car, and with rwd would definitely take a huge chunk of BMW's sales.

Intreasting if Tata go back down the road for an X type, maybe it will get a new name. Ford planned to sell alot of the recently ended X's. ALthough it was the biggest selling Jag ever even its target market (USA) it failed to hit the sales target.

Alot of people said it was just a redesigned Mondeo, which is a bit of a myth. It was less then 20% of Mondeo parts, although various parts were used other luxuery Ford brands.

with rwd would definitely take a huge chunk of BMW's sales.

Do you really think so? I'd doubt that very much.

Jaguar don't make a dent in BMW or Audi's sales if you look at the stats in the industry and they tend to have a very different audience. There are very few people looking at BMW/Audi who look at Jaguar, and vice versa.

There are very few people looking at BMW/Audi who look at Jaguar, and vice versa.

"Are" being the operative word. You can't dismiss it happening in the future if Jag build a good enough car.

Different market, but Kia have made big in-roads with their offering. And look at Skoda! They sorted themselves out and now it's a real viable option in the mid-market.

No reason to believe Jag won't get it right and appeal to people under 55...

You're right there. The Mondeo was a good car, the X Type wasn't.

The X-type wasn't a bad car, it was just too compromised in a sector where you can't afford to compromise, for example, the rear seat accommodation was too small for a car aimed at families, and likewise the boot was far too small.

Unfortunately, the 20% of parts that were shared with the Mondeo, were the main components, like engine and chassis, so when you say "only shared 20% of components" you make it sound like less than it actually was, although probably quite correct.

The fact that it was such common knowledge that it shared so much in common with the Mondeo was it's biggest problem that it was never going to overcome, that and the fact that the Mondeo (of the time) was actually quite a handsome car in ST or Titanium spec, considerably cheaper, and with a huge boot and decent rear seat accommodation, plus way better specced as standard.

I do believe a decent X-type replacement could make a big impact in BMW etc sales, and I think you underestimate the general publics perception of Jaguar as a brand, they really are an aspirational marque.

I think you underestimate the general publics perception of Jaguar as a brand, they really are an aspirational marque.

Sadly you may well be right, such is the lack of intelligence of the British public.

They are, in technical terms, or at X Type level anyway, a complete crock of ****.

My XF has been faultless so far (touch wood) and has averaged 35mpg overall in 7500 kms. It would seem that most of the sales have come from Audi, BMW and Merc owners with quite a lot of X-Type and XK owners too. On the XFFORUM there a a few ex-Audi S5 owners too who just couldn't live with the S5. The only common gripe is the satnav which comes from Denso/Navteq and is universally panned for it's ludicrous routing logic, I believe this is a leftover from the Ford ownership whereby contracts were in place to supply for a number of years.