Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carlover

m sport coupe v se hatch ride quality

16 posts in this topic

Hi all ,can anyone share the differences in ride between the above.I have a 177bhp auto 120d.SE

Seriously thinking of a 123d auto .However have to say I dont like the hard crashy ride of mine doing 25000+ miles a year.

There is a guy who seems knowledgable on the piston heads who always says the M sport with bilstein bits and other pieces is better set up for our roads,yet everyone says its a harsher ride,any thoughts ?

Cheers Pete

It is a much harder ride, but a subliminally better choice. In my opinion.

I don't think any of the M-Sport cars ride well personally, handle well yes but the ride is not something that you would say is cosseting.

I prefer the looks of the M-Sports cars but the ride can be a little jarring, add the runflats and its not a recipe made in heaven.

Have a try of both yourself, its the only way you will know which you prefer. +++

Strange thing is that when I had my Audi I found the Sport ride was about the same as the SE ride of a 3 series. Whereas the M Sport rides similarly to RS Audi's. That's the comparison that struck me as reasonably accurate anyway.

Thanks Guys,will try one obviously.Think my BMW days may be coming to an end.I want a softer place to be for the miles I do.Trouble is for what they are BMWs diesels for power and economy are as good as it gets ,unless someone can come up with something better.

Thanks Guys,will try one obviously.Think my BMW days may be coming to an end.I want a softer place to be for the miles I do.Trouble is for what they are BMWs diesels for power and economy are as good as it gets ,unless someone can come up with something better.

Jag XF...but I would say that as I`v just ordered one.....The Ride/handling compromise is nigh on perfect.....Much better than Audi or BMW.....and don`t I know it as I`v spent the last 6wks testing countless motors....The Jag was always on my list but in the end it was the last car I tested......I left the Dealers....went for a walk around Chester and returned to place an order.

By the time you`v specced up a 123d the price will be pretty close to the fully loaded Jag(more so if your looking for an Auto and Sat Nav).....The Jag of course is a much bigger car but on the road it does`t feel like it....and I say that as someone who currently drives an A3.....umm....and my beloved Defender.

Edited by Mr Man

Jag XF...but I would say that as I`v just ordered one.....The Ride/handling compromise is nigh on perfect.....Much better than Audi or BMW.....and don`t I know it as I`v spent the last 6wks testing countless motors....The Jag was always on my list but in the end it was the last car I tested......I left the Dealers....went for a walk around Chester and returned to place an order.

By the time you`v specced up a 123d the price will be pretty close to the fully loaded Jag(more so if your looking for an Auto and Sat Nav).....The Jag of course is a much bigger car but on the road it does`t feel like it....and I say that as someone who currently drives an A3.....umm....and my beloved Defender.

Hello Mr man.Funny enough thats where my mind had gone!!!Interesting your in an A3.Because im thinking a big car like that would take some getting used to after my little go kart(did drive mercedes vans years ago)Thinking about the many car parks my 25-30 k miles take me. Sounds like your happy enough,wish you luck with it.

I just looked at residuals in anticipation of seeing the XF at the bottom of the ladder. The results were suprising at 36 months with 12k pa (averaged across the range):

1. BMW 5 series ... 51%

2. Jaguar XF series ... 49%

3. Audi A6 series ... 46%

It is doing rather well.

Hello Mr man.Funny enough thats where my mind had gone!!!Interesting your in an A3.Because im thinking a big car like that would take some getting used to after my little go kart(did drive mercedes vans years ago)Thinking about the many car parks my 25-30 k miles take me. Sounds like your happy enough,wish you luck with it.

Just don`t go flying into round abouts at stupid speeds and expect the big Jag to hold it`s line....It wont...I`v tried it......But like you, the firm suspension, coupled with the short wheel base of the A3 was beginning to become tiresome.....The XF manages to pull off the holy grail in the handling/ride compromise.....in that the ride is sublime without the feeling that your sitting in a boat and wallowing from side to side.After driving one you can understand why it won all those awards

I really thought I was going to order an A5 3.0tdi...stunning car....I ended up testing the XF back to back with the A5(2nd test drive in an A5)....but the Jag was just so much smoother...and the Auto gearbox was seamless....Far better than the s-tronic in the Audi(and I`am a massive fan of the DSG in my A3)....and better than the Auto`s offered by BMW(123d and 325d...both of which I tested....again great engines.....but the ride:().

The Jag is a lot heavier than the A5 but on the road you don`t notice it....but the A5 sticks to the road like glue.

The only real issue with the Jag is that some owners complain about the seats(XF Forum).....I personally thought they were fine....but they lack lateral support......and apparently there are some issues with the routing on the Sat Nav.....it`s fine in towns/cities.....but some owners complain that it wants to take the shortest rout when crossing the country(Motorways/Major A roads) rather than the quickest rout.....For most that`s not a major issue....as we can all find our way to Glasgow.....it`s the last 10miles where the Sat Nav needs to function correctly and by all accounts there are no routing issues at a local level

Edited by Mr Man

I just looked at residuals in anticipation of seeing the XF at the bottom of the ladder. The results were suprising at 36 months with 12k pa (averaged across the range):

1. BMW 5 series ... 51%

2. Jaguar XF series ... 49%

3. Audi A6 series ... 46%

It is doing rather well.

I ordered mine last Wednesday....Turned up at 10am....test drive 50min.....discussed the deal....drove to an Audi garage...tested another A5(2nd test drive but different Dealer)...40-50min....returned to the Jag Dealer and while I did my usual haggling and spun a yarn about ordering an A5, 2 other punters had signed on the dotted line....one of which I ended up talking to.......Left the dealers at 1.30pm ish....So in the space of 3hrs on a dull Wednesday morning 3 XF`s had been ordered....and there was me thinking the economy was going tits up.

Having said that.....I`v put a mental block on your X-type woes....they`v been banished from from my mind Lol.

Hi all ,can anyone share the differences in ride between the above.I have a 177bhp auto 120d.SE

Seriously thinking of a 123d auto .However have to say I dont like the hard crashy ride of mine doing 25000+ miles a year.

There is a guy who seems knowledgable on the piston heads who always says the M sport with bilstein bits and other pieces is better set up for our roads,yet everyone says its a harsher ride,any thoughts ?

Cheers Pete

The M-Sport is firmer, however it handles poor UK road surfaces far better than the SE.

We have had a 2006 120d M-Sport and a 2008 123d M-Sport and still have a 118d SE (2006 so pre LCI) and the M-Sports handle poor surfaces far, far better.

The SE does use a cheap Boge/Sachs suspension set up, which while being a little softer does not have great rebound on it and as soon as you hit potholes and broken bits of road it becomes quite jarring, in comparison the M-Sport soaks up these nasties far better.

It does use a Bilstein damper and Eibach spring on the M-Sport.

This has been discussed at great length on the 3 series and the 1 series forum and even someone from Pirelli flew out to one of the guys from Scotland, as the run flats really weren't working on his 330d se, so they started exploring suspension set ups, he tried KONI FSDs etc.

And found they helped but didn't get rid of the harsh ride.

Then after a year or so he tried an M-Sport and couldn't believe how much better the ride was, not only firmer but also far more comfy.

I think the run flats are the main culprit to the harsh ride, but lets be fair here, the 1 series is no were near as hard and crashy as an A3 S-Line.

Having said all that, I have gone to a Mercedes E Class estate, now that is comfort!! ;)

I ordered mine last Wednesday....Turned up at 10am....test drive 50min.....discussed the deal....drove to an Audi garage...tested another A5(2nd test drive but different Dealer)...40-50min....returned to the Jag Dealer and while I did my usual haggling and spun a yarn about ordering an A5, 2 other punters had signed on the dotted line....one of which I ended up talking to.......Left the dealers at 1.30pm ish....So in the space of 3hrs on a dull Wednesday morning 3 XF`s had been ordered....and there was me thinking the economy was going tits up.

Having said that.....I`v put a mental block on your X-type woes....they`v been banished from from my mind Lol.

Nice going Mr Man..+++

I think the run flats are the main culprit to the harsh ride, but lets be fair here, the 1 series is no were near as hard and crashy as an A3 S-Line.

Having said all that, I have gone to a Mercedes E Class estate, now that is comfort!! ;)

....and don`t I know it:(.....and having recently tested SE and M-sport BMW`s I could`t agree more about the firmer but far more compliant M-sport set up.

Nice going Mr Man..+++

Cheers....The XF was the first car on my list but the last one I tested.....There are so many great motors out there at the moment...the biggest revelation for me as a petrol head at heart was how bloomin good modern diesels are....Yea; you read the reviews in the press....you sign up to forums like this and listen to owners views on their own cars......I ended up testing 9 cars....although some were variants of the same model.....Different engine; suspension set ups etc.......but in the end I`d only been in the Jag 10 minutes and just knew that this was the car for me....Fingers crossed I`ll be saying the same thing this time next year.

Edited by Mr Man

Have to say i am more than happy with the ride in my 123d M Sport on the 17-inch alloys with goodyear nct runflats.I have also read alot of good reviews from owners who have binned the runflats for some good quality rubber.They report a complete transformation in how the car drives,with less tramlining and more compliance,resulting in a much better ride.

My 06 MkV GTi on 18-inch Monzas with continentals suffered with a rock hard ride,by far the hardest ride i have experienced.It made my 130i M Sport on 18-inch alloys with bridgestone potenza runflats feel much more compliant.But for me i find the 17's a much better all rounder..;)

I had teh 17's with goodyear nct runflats on my 123d m-sport as well, this was fine, felt better than my 2006 120d m-sport on Falken FK452s.

The 335i on Michelin Pilot Sport zero pressures was also fine, they were 18's.

The 535d on run flats (early 2005) was terrible on run flats, ditched them straight away.

The 320d M-Sport on 17s was fine on goodyear nct runflats as well, in fact I pulled over on the way home to check they were run flats.

Swapped for BBS CH 19s with proper tyres and it was no better, but certainly no worse.

The SE 118d we have on 16's is terrible.