I've taken the plunge on an air cooled 911

rottenbend

Placed a deposit today on my new toy. It's a 1997 911 993 Carrera 2S which has the factory Turbo widebody. I've always wanted one of these and with prices seemingly creeping upwards (for the right cars), I decided now was the time to take the plunge. I could have bought a 997 C2S for not much more money but as soon as I drove the car I was smitten - so much character but I think I need to learn to drive again.

Buying through an OPC so they are doing £££ of work to prepare the car for me (new pads and disks, new tyres, full service, bumper respray, alloys refurbed, air con regassed etc.) So much so that I'm not picking the car up for a month! The car is also coming with a warranty which I can renew every year for a reasonable sum.

Missed out on a 964RS a few years ago at £25k (they're now changing hands at £50k+)

Please excuse the quality of the photos - as they are taken from my phone. The colour is Zenith blue and is not nearly so purple in the flesh.

attachment.php?attachmentid=39877&stc=1&d=1280169670

attachment.php?attachmentid=39878&stc=1&d=1280169874

attachment.php?attachmentid=39879&stc=1&d=1280169874

attachment.php?attachmentid=39880&stc=1&d=1280169874

post-14306-137914451762_thumb.jpg

post-14306-137914451766_thumb.jpg

post-14306-13791445177_thumb.jpg

post-14306-137914451774_thumb.jpg

Edited by rottenbend

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thorburn, you need to drive a 993 properly before deciding they all go backwards into a ditch +++

Slow in - fast out (hopefully not backwards), or so I've been told +++

They can be quite intimidating. It took me a while to get used to the pedals. Hinged from the floor and so small and tightly packed - reminded me of single seaters/Caterhams from that point of view. The pedals are also offset to the left. When you're driving a car you need to know where the middle pedal is if you need it in a hurry!

I think that the challenge is half the fun. Maybe cars are too easy to drive these days?

I absolutely love the look of the car but it's also the noise and the smell which made up my mind. It smells like my father in laws old Jag and Healey. It's not for everyone but there's something special about the smell of old cars.

It uses a variation of the air-cooled Beetle pedal set. Ferry Porsche has a lot to answer for :grin:

Once you've got used to it, try light trail braking into corners - it plants the car a lot more +++

I think that the challenge is half the fun. Maybe cars are too easy to drive these days?

No ABS, no traction, no ESP, no nothing. Best way to drive :D

Yum!

Cherish it & care for it BUT drive it like it was meant to be driven. +++

5mph through London on the way to a cocktail bar, by a **** in a poorly fitting pinstripe suit, carrying a file-o-fax and a cell phone the size of my house? :confused:

Just got confirmation of the factory build specification - it's got the following options

X71 Aluminium Dials

373 Sports Seat - Passenger side

374 Sports Seat - Drivers side

425 Rear Wiper

567 Top Tinted Windscreen

573 Air Conditioning

602 Third Brake Light

650 Sun Roof

659 On Board Computer

I'd have preferred not to have a sun roof (something to go wrong/leak) but you can't have everything :)

Well done mate +++

You'll love it, this 911 thing is very addictive. I'm already been looking at Turbo's as a replacement for my c2s, even though work dictates the need for a diesel!

Do they offer 2 year warranty on approved 993's as well?

Well done mate +++

You'll love it, this 911 thing is very addictive. I'm already been looking at Turbo's as a replacement for my c2s, even though work dictates the need for a diesel!

Do they offer 2 year warranty on approved 993's as well?

Unfortunately not - it's a Porsche Classic warranty which lasts for a year.