Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rottenbend

I've taken the plunge on an air cooled 911

59 posts in this topic

Unfortunately not - it's a Porsche Classic warranty which lasts for a year.

Are you still able to extend this each year, I presume subject to inspection, as per the later models? Any idea on costs of extension?

Are you still able to extend this each year, I presume subject to inspection, as per the later models? Any idea on costs of extension?

I've asked for written details on the costs and terms and conditions - I'll let you know. First year's cost is included in the purchase price...

Thats my fave Porsche that is - well done +++

You can go off people.

I've already gone off Bazza and Wopps. Now you.

What can we call you? You, you, you GIT!!!

It's lovely!

That is a car of beauty - Stunning! - Massive congratulations

Air-cooled 911 is definately the way to go!!!

Just keep one eye on the pressure gauge....

+++

Returned home from holiday to find that the work on the car has been completed and that it was in the showroom at the OPC - so I had to go and have a look and take some pics +++. Will be picking it up on Tuesday once insurance is sorted and funds have cleared.

In the meantime, here are some more pictures...

attachment.php?attachmentid=40174&stc=1&d=1282506076

attachment.php?attachmentid=40175&stc=1&d=1282506076

attachment.php?attachmentid=40176&stc=1&d=1282506244

attachment.php?attachmentid=40177&stc=1&d=1282506244

attachment.php?attachmentid=40178&stc=1&d=1282506244

post-14306-137914453402_thumb.jpg

post-14306-137914453407_thumb.jpg

post-14306-137914453411_thumb.jpg

post-14306-137914453415_thumb.jpg

post-14306-137914453419_thumb.jpg

That Porka looks better each time you post up pics of it +++

That Porka looks better each time you post up pics of it +++

Doesn't it just. +++

It's gorgeous, a stunning looking vehicle. I'd imagine, Rottenbend, you'll be very excited about collecting it tomorrow. Hope it is nice and sunny, and dry, for you to have a fabulous first day of ownership. It'll attract a lot of very admiring looks.

Doesn't it just. +++

It's gorgeous, a stunning looking vehicle. I'd imagine, Rottenbend, you'll be very excited about collecting it tomorrow. Hope it is nice and sunny, and dry, for you to have a fabulous first day of ownership. It'll attract a lot of very admiring looks.

To say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement. I've been a petrolhead all my life and a 911 has always been top of my list. The weather looks set fair, the money's in my account and the car is on risk. Only a few hours to go... Watch this space for an update

Lucky man. I showed the pictures to our youngest a few minutes ago and even she said "Ooo that's nice...".

Considering the fact I showed her a Ferrari California too and she thought it was ugly, I'd say that's quite a compliment.

What a great looking pork. Does it have abs? As moo says trail breaking does help you pull in you line when you start to push wide. It just shifts the weight to the front of the car and gives the tyres more bite. Heel and toe will also allow you to be much smoother and help keep the back in check when pushing on, allowing you to stay in higher revs.

Really stunning mate, well done!

What a great looking pork. Does it have abs? As moo says trail breaking does help you pull in you line when you start to push wide. It just shifts the weight to the front of the car and gives the tyres more bite. Heel and toe will also allow you to be much smoother and help keep the back in check when pushing on, allowing you to stay in higher revs.

Really stunning mate, well done!

Does it have abs?

It does have ABS, however it doesn't have ABD/Traction Control :grin::devil:

Sounds like I'll have to enrol in Trail Braking 101!

Lovely car and looks to be in mint condition too.

My dad picked one up 6 months ago, although his is starting to show it's 100k mileage and could do with some paint work and the wheels refurbed. I'm not sure of it's full spec but it has a different front bumper to yours and chavtastic red dials and red painted carbon backed seats.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much a he does his.

071.jpg

068a.jpg

067.jpg

072a.jpg

079.jpg

Oh god, people have got to stop posting pictures of 911's.

Both of them, that shape, look superb.

I still think the current 997 is amongst the best ever made, but both Rottenbends and Jim's Dads car look absolutely glorious.

It looks lovely Max and is a credit to you. +++

However, the 6 will stay until next year, maybe even beyond that. We're waiting for MrsMe's new car to arrive around late October and because I do so few miles now the 6 is just trundling around and not dropping much money at all (it's done all that in the 5 years previous!).

It's still only just hit 49k and, somewhat incredibly, has cost me the grand total of £302 to service in it's 5 year life....

Each time I took it in I was told it needed nothing doing, maybe a little aircon flush and bits like that. It'll need new pads and discs soon, but I'd be crazy not to keep it a while longer. It stills runs like it did on the day I got it, hasn't got a single rattle, creak or squeak and it even suits my age now.:roflmao:

p.s. as some on here will tell you, a black car with a black interior is my nightmare. I am known to be a girl when it comes to wanting contrasting interior trim. I have a thing about wanting a light interior in a car. My last 3 have been Red then Yellow then Cream. I might try Green next.:roflmao:

068a.jpg

Lovely +++

As Max says it's got the 18" alloys. They are fantastic hollow spoke wheels - very light and very nice.

Might just be my first upgrade...

Only problem with Red for me is I promised my Mum I'd never own another red car.

Cos I rolled the two I had.:roflmao:

068a.jpg

Lovely +++

As Max says it's got the 18" alloys. They are fantastic hollow spoke wheels - very light and very nice.

Might just be my first upgrade...

The clear indicators on front and 18" turbo wheels would be the only thing that I would consider changing on your car rottenbend, if it was mine....+++

Chris, glad you're still loving your 6 after after all that time, wish I could get my head around keeping a car for that sort of time :rolleyes:

It's a difficult one for me Max. As much as I love the car I still look and fancy a change now and again.

However, I am at the stage where I lose next to nothing on it and it has easily been the best car I have ever owned. MrsMe wanted to change this year and to change both would have been a bit silly when one of them would have been change for the sake of it.

Quick update on 993 ownership. I'm loving it +++

I'm really getting to know the car now. I'm appreciating it more than ever. It's growing on me on all time.

The car has spent most of the winter undercover on trickle charge. It's only come out very occasionally on bone dry roads. Whilst it was locked up I decided to get down and dirty and tackle a generic problem on these cars - rust on the rear chassis rails and corroded bumper support brackets. I'm no mechanic but if a job's worth doing it's worth doing yourself. Besides, it would give me the opportunity to really understand how the car is put together.

It took several hours to strip down the rear end. I had to cut lots of rusty fasteners with an angle grinder/Dremel. Stainless steel has been used for replacement fasteners.

IMG_2018.jpg

Bumper supports have seen better days. :(

IMG_2003.jpg

Not nice but many 993 have holes here that need welding up. :ffs:

IMG_2007.jpg

A bit of elbow grease and a wirebrush and it doesn't look so bad :)

IMG_2011.jpg

Several coats of POR-15 marine grade rustproof paint later... this was followed by three coats of matched Zentih blue paint.

IMG_2026.jpg

Looking much better :grin:

IMG_2049.jpg

In order to put it all back together again, deep pockets were required to by the original Porsche parts from Silverstone OPC (the parts guys know their stuff).

IMG_2035.jpg

Almost there...

IMG_2078.jpg

The car's now back on the road and suffering no ill effects from my tinkering! Now that I've spent so much time working on it, it's made me appreciate it more than ever.

Looking forward to the summer. I have a list of things I want to do with the car as long as my arm including new airbox and exhaust :devil: Thanks for watching +++