Alloy Protector?

Harrogate_chris

Hi

New to the forum so apols if this topic has already been covered (and also if I'm about to ask a thick question) but.....

Is there anything you can buy to apply to alloys to avoid the build up of brake dust (some sort of film or something)? I'm asking because i don't really have the time (or if i'm honest the inclination) to be cleaning properly them every week.

Thanks

Due to the heat build up on the wheels nothing will have the longevity on there that it would on the paintwork. As a result you'll need to reapply more often than the wax, etc on the paintwork.

From my own experience the following are all good: Zaino CS, Jetseal 109, Bilt Hamber Autobalm, Chemical Guys Wheel Guard and Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection.

Basically, owt is better than nowt! :)

I find Autoglym EGP quite good and also Collinite 845s. I've always found the dedicate wheel seal pastes & waxes to be over rated although I haven't tried the Gtech one and their products are supposed to be very good.

I also always have a can of Autoglym Alloy wheel seal - a simply aerosol spray. I use this on the co. car and it makes washing them very easy evern when they are very dirty. Only downside is that you really need to apply fresh after every wash but it is quick & simple.

TT's top tip:- The best thing is to avoid brake dust in the first place - try going round corners faster and jumping red lights. Taxi drivers are good at this - try slipstreaming one on a Friday night between 10pm and midnight +++

Edited by Tarmac_Terrorist

LOL @ TT!

As with many others, the dedicated wheel sealants are pretty poor in terms of durability. They tend to work better on exposed metal wheels which was the original intended target, not clear coated wheels which im presuming you have.

The problem i have with the gtechniq product and similar is that wheels take an awful hammering and the stuff is somewhat expensive. Once its applied, tar will still get through and if you dont have time to clean it off as soon as the wheel gets hot again it will penetrate even more. Same with brake dust etc, if you cant clean it then the product diminishes quicker.

Its a good idea in that it makes the wheels easier clean with just a wipe down at wash time but if you cant do that often enough you soon end up with the "greying effect". Which is just where bonded contaminents end up building up and turning the silver paintwork more grey. They claim it repels dust and stops bonding, and it does but not when its thick dust compounded by heat of driving, throw in some water and a bit of tar over a couple of weeks and you wont get the wheels properly clean again with just soap or power washer.

Its a great sealant, for people who wash there wheels every week.

What happens when you want to clean your tyres? You just end up washing APC all over the wheel protectant. Even Gtechnique say that strong non-acidic wheel cleaners will remove the product.

Murkey muddles topped with rainbows on the industrial estate or on the motorway are areas which i would say are problems for the C5 protectant.

I want to like it, i want to say its a great answer for regular wheel cleaning but it isnt quite there....yet. The OP suggest he doesnt want to clean that regular even if its "easy" i dont think the product will really give the results it suggests. Though, he may still be happy.

I cant help but think the best thing is just to get a decent sealant on them, accept they will keep them 95% clean with just hose and shampoo water. Then every 2-3 months or so give them a good clean with a wheel cleaner and reapply the sealant.

I only had a small sample of the C5, the 5ml or so i did have did go quite far, i did 4 wheels and it could have done alteast 6. So prehapes if you can justify the £23 for 15ml it isnt that bad.

I dident find it was quite the wash away back to super cleans after a few months esp. after not cleaning them for a two or three weeks.

IF you do go for the C5 then i suggesting getting some sort of tar remover to use before applying to the wheels. You dont want to be sealing stuff to the wheels. Personally i would use a wheel cleaner, clay, de-tar and then use a mild polish to put some extra shine on the wheels (but thats me!). C5 leaves a decent look.

Geoff

Morning guys

Apologies, I should have been more specific in my original post and clarified that the query is in relation to a brand new car due 1 Sept, so fortunately no back-log of grime to contend with.

As my 2010 resolution was to be more honest with myself (LOL) ,I am facing up to the fact that my initial intention to give it a thorough clean every week will, in all probability last about a month. Therefore I thought it would be prudent to do whatever I can on day 1 to make life easier going forward.

I wonder if the above info (again which I apologise for not posting in the first place) alters any of your advice?

Many thanks

C

I agree with the others & nothing really works a whole lot better than something else - key is some wax is better than no wax & cleaning frequently enough that soapy car water removes the dust rather than harsh cleaners so the wax stays intact.

I was given some Swissvax Autobahn recently which produces a wonderful shine to the wheels & does help with the dust but not to a great extent more than anyother car paint wax I have used - care rather than wax is the key I think !