S3: S-Tronic/DSG hesitation on acceleration

Sparky

Guys,

Got an 59-plate S3 with DSG/S-tronic, and has been running fine for a while.

About 6 months ago, it went into limp-home mode once, and hasn't done that again. Within the last month though, I am finding flat spots around gears 3 and 4, where pressing the accelerator pedal apart from flat to the floor, has had little to no impact on the speed. It does within 2/3 seconds, start increasing speed, but by the time, it tends to spool up the turbo, and then dump it all the the clutch. While fun, this can cause alarming moments when I am not actually wanting it to do that.

It does it in Drive and Sport, but not as bad in sport. From stand-still the car pulls quickly and well, it's only when I'm already moving. I also feel it doesn't down-shift much as I slow on approach to a roundabout, and I have to either stop, or down-shift myself to get enough power to move off safely.

Took it out with an Audi tech today, and he confirmed it's not right, but he doesn't know what it is. He's raising it with Audi and I have to take the car back in, but not for a month's time.

Is there anything obvious that it could be? I was told these cars learn your driving style, so would resetting the ECU have an effect? I might have been a little heavier on the car when I first go it, perhaps. :o

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Edited by Sparky

• 2 weeks later...
It will be 100% covered if you are still in warranty, and had correct service and have not modded etc.

Even if the car is modded the burden is on the dealer to prove its the modification thats caused a fault, they cant just point out that the cars modded and refuse to look at it.

Yep, increasing the horsepower/torque would have a direct effect on the transmission, so would not be covered under warranty, but it wouldn't effect things like trim or suspension so they'd still be covered.

The dealers warranty administrator will try and link everything to everything to try and get out of warranty repairs, Ford tried to tell me my clutch and flywheel weren't covered as I'd put bigger alloys on my Galaxy (with correct size tyres), no idea how they could link the alloys to the clutch/flywheel, but they tried, untill I pointed out the alloys were Ford optional extras as stated in the catalogue, and the fact I hadn't bought them from Ford had no basis whatsoever.

The car is only 10 months old, and no modifications at all.

It's getting worse now too - or at least I am noticing it more now Audi confirmed it was a problem.

Apparently there is a software fix for all S-tronic boxes that fixes hesitation, but I've not got any details on that yet.