What would you do.

Sc00t

I've posted this on another forum but I'm still undecided what to and would like your opinions before I charge into the dealer on Monday.

Popped round to my local dealer to actually look at a new shape s4 for my wife to run and for me to occAsionally hoon about in but on arriving at the dealer they had an rs4 saloon up for £28500.

Went for a quick spin and though the dealer said there were a few issues with the car it would be all sorted on collection and the car came with a full audi service history + it had just been serviced with new tyres a lll round. In my eyes I was buying a pretty safe car with it just being serviced etc.

I didn't get a discount . I paid the asking price though I tried to get something off but in the end of the day I wanted to buy the car local just in case something went wrong.

I should state I know the dealer and the salesman for quite a few years now.

So I paid extra for the ugly phone cradle to be removed and paid for a detailer to work on the vehicle for 2 days before I collected the car.

So on Tuesday I collected the car which looked fantastic and after signing for it I asked where the spare key and service book was to be told that "don't worry it's all coming soon." Ok , I know the dealer and salesman quite well and it's a small city I live in where everyone knows everyone so I didn't chase the matter. I believed everything would arrive in due course.

The car was fantastic for 4 days but this Saturday I found oil dripping from underneath the vehicle. Took it round to the dealer and we all watched as the mechanic put nit up that there was a cracked metal pipe and bolt. I think it was feeding the intercooler ?

I'm not best pleased but things happen but I was getting slightly suspicIous regarding the key and service book. So I ask about the key to be told that they've had to order a new one. I inform them I'm not to happy about that as I was concerned that a key to my vehicle in floating about to be told "don't worry we will reprogram the your keys only work". I believe that those can be done but the lost key can still open the doors etc...

The next bit is I ask that if they cant find the key then what about the service record to be told that they are waiting for to come in still. I tell the salesman that if they can't find the spare key than most likely you won't find the original key. He then says that it's all ok as all the records are stored on audi database.

I'm annoyed about all of this. At the time of purchasing the vehicle if I had known the car had a lost key and missing original service record I would of not purchased the vehicle! I feel let down by the dealer and though he said the car came in as a part exchange on a new vehicle I don't believe them and have a feeling they just bought the vehicle from an auction house.

The car is at the dealers and I'm under sided if I'm blowing this out of all proportions or that really I should kick up a fuss and try to walk away from the vehicle and buy another after taking more time.

What would you do?

Ok short version as I've read above and decided it's best I use my laptop for these kind of things.

Bought car on tuesday and was told that spare key and service records would all follow.

Car breaks down on Saturday and is still at dealer with a broken oil pipe and bolt.

Ask dealer where is my spare key and original service book to be told they had to order a new key and they've no idea if they've got the original service book coming, but don't worry as the service record is on audi computer.

Told dealer before I left that i would not of bought the vehicle had I known that these items were lost but decided to just leave as I was hungry and getting grumpy.

So should I suck it up and just let them fix it and just hope that someone doesn't use the lost key on my vehicle or should I try to reject the car?

Thx

Edited by Sc00t

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the specifics - yes there will be a key somewhere that can un-lock your car but only via the drivers door & alarm will still go off, car won't start. Service book they can re-print for you (mine had this done when no plate was changed) & oil cooler pipes are a known issue on the car so handy to have fixed under warranty really.

What would worry me is the std of prep the car has had & I think I would maybe have the car checked over thoroughly somewhere else or say you want the master tech to look at it & then talk to him.

Maybe say want everything done by end of next week or it is going back ?

I'll ask them to give me the complete print out of the service record and ask the head mechanic to look at the vehicle and come back to me. The problem with the key is I carry equipment worth over 10k in the vehicle and the idea , though very unlikely, that someone has the ability to access my vehicle bloody annoys me.

I think I'll just have to take this on the chin and explain I want everything complete by e end of the week or I will reject the car.

I'd certainly threaten them with rejection - see if it gets the right reaction.

In the end though, I'd be tempted to live with it if they could see their way to some significant future discount for your inconvenience - next service free for example.

Or, depending on the car's age, get them to back their product with an extra year's free warranty.

If they know you, one would think they'd be keen to put things right to keep your future business.

Can I take it back on the basis of the cracked pipe and bolt or should I push the fact that if the lock is not replaced then my vehicle is not secure ?

What's annoyed me is I had no knowledge that there was going to be any issues with these items. IMO if I had known that the service record and spare key were not present I would of not bought the vehicle simply on the basis that If the previous owner was that slack on a special vehicle like that , then what else is hiding for me?

The other thing is that if the dealer had taken this in part exchange surely they would of checked that all was present and if not they would have known straight away ? I mean they have told me that they had serviced the car themselves so they obviously new there was an issue.

The above is what's really bugging me. It's the feeling that I've played my part 100%. I paid the asking price in full and bought local to hopefully get the goodwill from them.

If I ring them tomorrow I think i would have an argument on my hands to get my money back.

I had a copy service book with my B7 RS4, but the key thing is a bit more serious - tell them your position regarding what you carry etc, and that you want the locks changed.

Once you've been driving it for a few days, this will all pale into insignificance anyway - Enjoy it, and get that Milltek on there!

Shame these issues have spoilt your enthusiasm for such a nicre car. Have you checked the history? Was is a reposession and the original keeper kept the key perhaps? Just wondered given the lack of service book / needed detailing and brand new tyres just fitted? Not necessarily a problem but could explain the issues.

Eitherway, i'd get Audi to fix the pipe & push for new locks and try and enjoy it. I was only admiring a RS4 for the same money on my local Audi forecourt early last week - lovely cars.

In the brief 4 day ownership I found the car to be simply amazing. I tried the new m3 but after two years in a dms 335d I honestly didn't find the m3 special. After being alone driving that rs4 at night down my local roads I can honestly say that the rs4 is a very special vehicle.

Right this is what I'm going to do.

I'm going to tell them i want the lock changed. I have a feeling that the car was not a part exchange as they said, so I'm worried about access to my vehicle.

I'm going to inform them I want the car fully checked again by their head mechanic. Discs etc... And I want a report saying everything is a1 even down to the seats.

I want a full report on all service history on the vehicle and to ensure that all maintenance is correct on the vehicle.

And then I'm going to suck it up and enjoy it.

The extended warranty on a rs4 is £1700, so I think I would be pushing it. The car was £28500 which seemed a good price for the spec and the fact it had new pads and tyres all-round and came with 12 month warranty.

I'll push the case for a free service if they don't have the original service book but I don't really want to go over the top and demand the earth. If they play up on any matters I will want to reject the car and will be putting this in writing.

I was tempted to ask them for refund and put the deposit money on a new rs5 but there seems to be little excitement about the vehicle and the fact that it's going to cost another 30k to upgrade I don't think that's the best idea.

Sc00t the one thing that comes across to me here is that you're not acting like what you are, which is the customer.

Yes, I get that you love the car (hard not to), but you need to push them for everything you can. £28,500 is a sh*t load of money!

You've got 30 days to reject the car (with a limited mileage).

Cracked pipe will be to the oil cooler (looks like a very small intercooler), which would tell me that it's probably had a hard life.

Service book? I would ask for a copy service book and get confirmation in writing or copy invoices from all the dealers where it was carried out. Oh, and get the locks changed.

Best of luck sorting it out.

I am still unsure about the lock thing - surely if you want to steal from/steal your old car you would invest in a spare key or boost it the next day from the dealers. My car was 2nd hand & came with 2 keys but I have no idea how many are knocking around - I think I would still just get another key cut & be done with it on this front personally, if you have a new key programmed all the old key will do is save them smashing the window to get into the car.

But definitley say it is going back if all not resolved to your satisfaction & if that means locks get the locks changed (there are only 2 anyway) but I would be going for the free service - I don't think it is all a bad job but just give it back if you are unhappy with it & buy something else at least they will start taking you very seriously.

I also looked at B8 S4 but glad I went for an RS4 in the end !

Sc00t the one thing that comes across to me here is that you're not acting like what you are, which is the customer.

Yes, I get that you love the car (hard not to), but you need to push them for everything you can. £28,500 is a sh*t load of money!

You've got 30 days to reject the car (with a limited mileage).

Cracked pipe will be to the oil cooler (looks like a very small intercooler), which would tell me that it's probably had a hard life.

Service book? I would ask for a copy service book and get confirmation in writing or copy invoices from all the dealers where it was carried out. Oh, and get the locks changed.

Best of luck sorting it out.

I'd agreed with all of that.

You've spent a hell of a lot of money.

Forget the fact it is a car. You've spent £28,500. Yet you're disappointed and all is not as you thought it would be and, ultimately, you feel as if the product has been mis-described. Now, on anything else, what would you be doing? I think car purchases get treated differently for some reason and people are often prepared to accept less than perfection.

Have a word with Milo. He is an expert on knowing how to feck Audi dealers over. Left, right and centre.:roflmao:

I put down a £13500 and financed the rest with lombard.

I spoke to the dealer last night and told him how unhappy I was with how this all has played out. He's told me that the car would be rdy tomorrow afternoon and I explained that I want the car checked over again to make sure everything was spot on. He understood how I felt regarding the key and would replace the lock and basically that was it.

So I ring up just to find out if its rdy and was told it's not going to be ready till tomorrow morning now. FFS , ive just said why is it not ready if all that needs to be done is replace this bloody pipe. I've left it with the service manager telling him that I'm not happy to be told that he'll go look into it again and ring me back.

Now I don't know if they've found something else wrong with it or that they simply can't be that bothered how I feel!

If they ring me back and say it's not ready I'm going to tell them to keep it. .

Actually the more I think about this the more I'm pissed off. I specifically told the salesman that I wanted the car checked all over again. The service manager told me that they haven't been able to start on it because they've had other cars on the ramps. In other words they haven't given the car a full check either as I had said.

The service manager ( i think it was the service manager ) said he would just go and check again on the progress of my car after I got the hump over it not being ready. My gut feeling was that they hadn't even started on my vehicle and he's gone back into the service bay to get my car on the ramp asap. They haven't bothered to ring me back as yet.

Still waiting ......