Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TrundleFly

iPhone 4 Cradle

13 posts in this topic

All

I must admit I find all the phone options very confusing. At the moment I have a cradle for an old Ericsson phone fitted in the arm rest that I don't use at all. I only know it is an Ericsson one because the box was in the boot when I bought the car.

It also has bluetooth as that is what I have been using to connect my phones.

I have just bought an iPhone 4 and that connects fine via Bluetooth.

However, I would really like to use a cradle so that I can charge the phone and also get the better signal strength. I can't seem to find any info on whether there is a cradle for the iPhone 4.

Does anyone know?

according to Audi's UK website, they don't do one :(Audi Accessories < Owners area < Audi UK

Audi Germany has a more up to date list but still no iPhone 4: http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/technology/mobile_phone_integration.Par.0010.File.pdf/2010_08_03_adapteruebersicht.pdf

What we need is someone with 3GS cradle (8P0 051 435 HC) to test an iPhone 4 in it :)

EDIT: according to this advert on eBay it doesn't work. The owner is selling his 3GS adpator because he's upgrade to the 4.

Edited by Andy_Bangle
ebay linky

Darn. Thanks for that Andy, your research proved more fruitful than mine..

I've seen various posts saying that the 3GS cradle does work but they were for things like A4s and I wasn't sure if they have the same cradles as the A8.

No problems, your post jogged my memory as i've been meaning to track one down myself.

Must remember to keep an eye on that German PDF.

I extend the lower seat section on the passenger seat and both phones fit very nicely in there. Yes, they slide about a little, but it adds to the fun of knowing which one is ringing.:roflmao:

post-19772-137914454088_thumb.jpgI have a 3G iphone plus an iPhone 4 now so im currently using both. My A4 has the phone prep low with the Iphone cradle and whilst the iPhone 4 will fit in it and charge it just doesnt feel like its located properly so I would say no. What I do have also on the dash which does work on both and hold the phone is a brodit holder which seems to fit both absolutely fine

post-19772-137914454083_thumb.jpg

I have the 3G/3GS cradle in my 2007 W12 and have been using it with my iPhone 4. It charges the phone that's for sure and after i trimmed down the little knobbies in the upper right and left corners of the cradle with a razor knife, I can now snap it closed.

For clarity, Audi right now makes only two types of iPhone cradle:

iPhone 1G (uses old pinout that supported firewire charging for the original phone)

iPhone 3G/3GS (made for the newer form factor shared by the 3G and 3GS and the USB charging pinout)

There is no iPhone 4 cradle at this time but as I mentioned above the charging pinout is the same as the iPhone 3G/3GS and you can trim the cradle to fit.

One thing I have no way of definitively testing is whether my iPhone 4 connects to the car's antenna system through the 3G/3GS cradle. If I have time, I'll see if there is an App that gives a precise cellular signal strength readout (for examble, -37.9dB) so I can test signal strength out of and inside the cradle.

I've heard good things about the Brodit clips but personally I don't want something sticking out of the dash.

Modest - if you do find out whether the 3GS one helps the signal then I would probably get one of them and file it down like you have done. Otherwise I'll just wait and hope they do an iPhone 4 one.

The iOS 4.1 update for the iPhone re-enabled field test mode (which gives you a dB signal strength readout) so I tested my iPhone 4 in my 3G/3GS cradle last night.

I tried it with the car parked in a few places around my neighborhood. Each time, I would leave the phone laying in the cradle but not connected to the iPhone connector, look at the readings for a few minutes, and then connect it and look at the readings for another few minutes.

The readings would fluctuate just lying there not connected and also when connected. For example, at one location signal would range from -74 to -85 dB over several minutes. It seems that the field test mode dB readout refreshes every 5 or so seconds so it's hard to tell if connecting and disconnecting from the cradle has any immediate effects on the signal strength.

Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone 3G or 3GS so I am not able to test whether the cradle only helps with reception for 3G/3GS or if the car's antenna system doesn't help significantly with any phone (or maybe my cradle is a lemon even though the charging works?)

Edited by ModestW12
spelling

When you have the Iphone 4 connected in the modified cradle are you able to see the contacts on the dash board of the car ?

Thanks

Nick

I have the 3G/3GS cradle in my 2007 W12 and have been using it with my iPhone 4. It charges the phone that's for sure and after i trimmed down the little knobbies in the upper right and left corners of the cradle with a razor knife, I can now snap it closed.

For clarity, Audi right now makes only two types of iPhone cradle:

iPhone 1G (uses old pinout that supported firewire charging for the original phone)

iPhone 3G/3GS (made for the newer form factor shared by the 3G and 3GS and the USB charging pinout)

There is no iPhone 4 cradle at this time but as I mentioned above the charging pinout is the same as the iPhone 3G/3GS and you can trim the cradle to fit.

One thing I have no way of definitively testing is whether my iPhone 4 connects to the car's antenna system through the 3G/3GS cradle. If I have time, I'll see if there is an App that gives a precise cellular signal strength readout (for examble, -37.9dB) so I can test signal strength out of and inside the cradle.

When you have the Iphone 4 connected in the modified cradle are you able to see the contacts on the dash board of the car ?

Yes, but in case there is any confusion the contacts auto import is a function of bluetooth phone prep, not the cradle.

Here it is! iPhone 4 cradle with p/n 8T0 051 435 F!

Edited by nisiotis