[Audi A3/S3] Audi A3 - Immobiliser and central locking problem

buster

Hi all,

There seems to be a problem with my Audi A3’s immobiliser and/or central locking (it’s a 5-door 2000 reg petrol).

This doesn't happen all the time but still every so often when I've driven the car and parked. What happens is when I press the ‘lock’ button on the fob, the car locks itself but the tiny red light next to the lock on front doors start flashing quickly, which happens when you've left a door open etc. and then after a few seconds the hazard switch and lights start flashing. I've checked and double-checked all 5 doors, steering wheel, windows etc. to see everything is closed or locked properly but nothing works.

I've also tried locking and unlocking the car with the key only but that doesn't work either as the flashing keeps going off few seconds after I've locked the car.

However, whenever in this situation, if I leave the car unlocked for around 30 minutes or so and then lock it with the fob, it works fine! Its as if the interval seems to help the immobiliser or locks to engage.

Like I said for now its not happening very frequently but it is a nuisance and also unsafe especially if it starts happening frequently.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this problem and why the hazard lights/indicators come on?

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this problem and why the hazard lights/indicators come on?

It thinks that one of the doors isn't properly closed, so it flashes the lights to tell you that the car hasn't fully locked and that the alarm isn't on.

Have you tried looking at the DIS to see if there is a door open symbol showing?

And have you used VAG-COM so see what fault caodes the central locking system is showing - that would tell you which door is the problem one.

• 1 month later...