BT infinity

danksy

Very nice!

I'd be tempted to ditch my VM 50Mbit connection for a connection like that, the extra upstream would be massively useful.

I'm on Virgin Media 50mb too but I can't think of a great deal of use of the extra high upload speed. Whilst it'd help occasionally on FTP based work the downstream is what matters to me most at home - and I don't think I can complain on a 50mb connection when I'm getting this (moments ago and it is usually around 55-60mb):

attachment.php?attachmentid=40271&stc=1&d=1283462985

post-6775-137914453992_thumb.jpg

I'm on Virgin Media 50mb too but I can't think of a great deal of use of the extra high upload speed. Whilst it'd help occasionally on FTP based work the downstream is what matters to me most at home - and I don't think I can complain on a 50mb connection when I'm getting this (moments ago and it is usually around 55-60mb):

attachment.php?attachmentid=40271&stc=1&d=1283462985

For normal home stuff I'd agree, but when I'm not abroad I work from home so am often uploading large documents, database exports and stuff to the data centres. 1.5Mbit is ok but when you're uploading a few Gb it soon starts to feel like it isn't enough.

The downstream is superb, I really like being able to grab usenet downloads at 6Mb/s :)

For normal home stuff I'd agree, but when I'm not abroad I work from home so am often uploading large documents, database exports and stuff to the data centres. 1.5Mbit is ok but when you're uploading a few Gb it soon starts to feel like it isn't enough.

The downstream is superb, I really like being able to grab usenet downloads at 6Mb/s :)

If you're uploading data in volumes like Gigabytes then I can completely understand.+++

I'll often do site updates or uploads via FTP but you're talking about low volume data because of how things have to be optimised for speed on the sites, so it's never really an issue. I do think that Virgin could address the upload when you consider the huge download capacity I have compared to the upload speed. That said, it's never been something I've thought of until now.

As you say, the downstream is superb. I start a movie download, go for a cigarette, come back and and it's done. 3-5 minutes on average.

Streaming is of course magnificent and working remotely is excellent even if you're limited marginally by the upload and the thinnest point of the client connection - but it has certainly transformed the way I work.

When infinity comes to an exchange does it get rolled out to the whole exchange or just part of it?

It'll be installed in parts but quite possibly not available until the whole exchange has been done.

Infinity relies on fibre being run to the cabinet that sits between the exchange and your property (they actually install a new cabinet next to the current one). Once your setup for infinity the internet side of things goes over the fibre between the cabinet and exchange while the voice portion of the line goes over the copper as it does today.

We are quite a distance from the exchange, will see if I can spot a cabinet!

ROI creeps in and BT are VERY interested in ROI.

Since the service will require fibre from main exchange to a 'localised' cabinet I'd assume this is to keep the 'hop' between house and exchange as shorter length of copper as possible. As you should know copper is a limited medium for broadband, hence why the old product offered 8 Mbit for customers near to exchange and a lot less for those a distance away.

If your area is a high demand for users and everyone is unhappy with the current speed then I'd suggest you talk to BT and see what they could do for the cooperative.

A list of a few dozen clients in the area saying they'd like better speeds, or better still the infinity product would maybe nudge them towards rolling the product out sooner rather than when they decide to bother.

It needs to be remembered that when you get to high speeds that you need to make sure you have an 'n' type wireless card too. Standard wireless cards can't support the High download speeds although a lot of ISP's will give you a free USB 'n' card when you take the high end services - but they're very tacky looking.

Without them you get about 20mb. Mac users are okay because every model has shipped with the new type cards for some time now. If you're a PC (Windows) user and considering a new machine it's always worthwhile checking that the network card supports 802.11n because we've noticed it being used as a way for manufacturers to skimp on costs as the older cards cost them slightly less.