firing on 3

m411as

my golf mk4 1.6 is mis firing something not right. sound like bag of hammers. i've tried new plugs and leads and still not cured. i've took leads off individually to see which one isn't firing and its 1/A. anyone any idea of what to try next before i get compression test done. coil pack maybe???

just had another look and when i take ignition lead off spark plug 1 the end of the lead sparks which to me indicates coil pack seems okay. its a single unit as well so would affect all cylinders i'd imagine not just 1.

What lead? If you mean the lead running to the top of the block then the coil pack is underneath that - it's actually the coil pack that the lead clips into.

not coil pack. knew it wasn't changed it today and still runs like tractor. only mis fires in low revs. checked all breather pipes and one was split so repaired it and still the same. cleaned throttle body, still the same, had compression test on the cylinder that seems to be not firing and its fine. i'll never buy another petrol vw. i've got a passat tdi with 150k on it and runs like brand new. golf is absolute pig!!!

Edited by m411as
missed something

Head gasket gone. Hmmm.

To check, you need to look at the coolant - see if there is any oily film on it. And check the oil cap to see if there is 'mayonnaise' under it. Also, your coollant level should drop. Lots of white steam from the exhaust at any time too.

That's a few things - there are other things to check. But I am not sure what else they are.

What is it like at start-up from cold? Could be a vacuum issue?

Head gasket gone. Hmmm.

To check, you need to look at the coolant - see if there is any oily film on it. And check the oil cap to see if there is 'mayonnaise' under it. Also, your coollant level should drop. Lots of white steam from the exhaust at any time too.

That's a few things - there are other things to check. But I am not sure what else they are.

What is it like at start-up from cold? Could be a vacuum issue?

Whilst that is a good indication, the gasket could be leaking into the cylinder not into the waterjacket so if no mayo is still possible is the head gasket...

I would still favour the coilpacks from past experience of VWs - whilst swapping is a good test, I would favour trying a brand new coil pack or ideally 4 new coilpacks - you would be suprised how badly they can make the car run ?

• 5 weeks later...