MkV DSG - failed!

lottiefox

My mate bought an 05 plate DSG GTi about 7 weeks ago. Got a 3 month AA warranty with it as she got it from a smallish garage in London. 1k limit on the warranty...per issue.

Yesterday - in traffic driving to work and a weird clicking noise started. Then nothing, no gears, no drive. Engine revs but no movement. Lights flashing on the dash where the PDS6 insert bit is. Engine management light also on. Had to be flat bedded to the local dealer and awaiting diagnosis.

My thoughts are a possible mechantronic failure? Its done around 65K miles. DSG oil change was done when she bought it, goodness knows its history before that.

If this is a mechatronic failure does she have any recourse with VW for its failing? I think I've read something about people campaigning for the DSG units to be covered for up to 100k miles, but I may be dreaming. I am guessing its previous maintenance could be taken up here - I have a horrible feeling this car has not been cherished....

She is hoping it might be a faulty "switch" or a benign glitch...

Thanks for any help.

Lottie :D

Cheers burble

I'll get her to have a look through the history - when she bought it I asked her if it had had all the DSG changes etc done, I have a feeling that the 60k change was the first time it had ever been looked at. I know on my R32 DSG I'm a little bit paranoid about APS looking after it properly, but I have a feeling her GTi hasn't been loved.....

She's still waiting for VW to get back to her...

Lottie

I thought the 100k was what VW USA took the cover upto, I dont believe in the UK they followed this lead because they still dont appear to accept an issue. There has been a lot of issues on and off on the tt-forum with the 3.2 DSGs failing. My mother in laws DSG failed, one owner car, full MD history and VW werent interested as it had failed at 78k.

I wish your friend luck though +++

Well VW say that the gearbox has had catastrophic failure - the internal parts are breaking up and have damaged the valve body. New gearbox required - cost of circa 3.5K....NICE. My view is this needs to be taken back into the arena of the garage that sold it to her. VW are meant to be letting her know if they'll contribute to cost but given that the FSH isn't VW (Kwik Fit eeeek) then who knows...

A costly 9 weeks of ownership so far....

Lottie

Ouch!

If the DSG box didn't get an oil and filter change at 40K then I would expect VW will wash their hands of it. I'd certainly be going back to the garage that sold it and see what they have to say.

As for Kwik Fit doing the servicing, as long as they used OEM parts then the warranty wouldn't have been affected but it may impact any good will payments.

This is the thing that terrifies me with my GTI, i've done 71k in it now, it's been serviced properly but i'm always nervous when I hear these kind of horror stories. As is always the case you only hear about the horror stories and never the ones which carry on forever.

Haven't seen or heard anything from Red Robin in ages I bet he must of clocked up plenty of miles in his remapped car now so I wonder how the DSG is holding up in that...

Lottie,second hand car dealers have to rectify faults which show uo in the first 3 months

Dealers have a responsibility to sell cars that are of ‘satisfactory quality’. But as the vast majority of all second hand car faults come to light in the first three months, they will often be the dealer's responsibility to fix.’

The OFT said that although most car dealers are reputable it is important that used car buyers take precautions to steer clear of trouble including getting in writing what checks have been carried out on the car's mechanical history and mileage, how many former owners the car has had, whether it has been modified, and a copy of the full service history.

Read more: Complaints soar over rip-off second hand car dealers' 'Arthur Daley tactics' | Mail Online

This is the thing that terrifies me with my GTI, i've done 71k in it now, it's been serviced properly but i'm always nervous when I hear these kind of horror stories. As is always the case you only hear about the horror stories and never the ones which carry on forever.

Haven't seen or heard anything from Red Robin in ages I bet he must of clocked up plenty of miles in his remapped car now so I wonder how the DSG is holding up in that...

Robin spens most his GTI time on the mk5golfGTI forum now.

• 2 weeks later...
Robin spens most his GTI time on the mk5golfGTI forum now.

Aye he does, his car is still going strong 80k I believe and his Mechatronics unit is also a ok.

Mine own Edition 30 had a new Mechatronics unit fitted at 3K, it's now done 17k and has started to grumble again, however it goes next week so..+++

• 3 weeks later...

....Hi guys! You're not forgotten! +++

Yep, my Mechatronics Module failed, or rather hiccup'd, at about 6,000 miles and was replaced without question by VW under warranty. I am just coming up to 89,000 miles without further DSG problems but bear in mind that my DSG box of tricks is separately remapped by Revo and a lot smoother as a result. Also, I have the car serviced by VWR every 10k miles and regular DSG oil & filter changes (includes a Quaife diff).

My style of driving is only using D-mode in traffic queues or town and to use M and shift the gears just like a conventional manual. I use the gears more than the brakes.

As already said, the VW 100k miles DSG warranty only happened in the U S of A and efforts to do the same here seem to have floundered.

There are just as many manual clutch failures you hear about though mostly on modified cars. Using too much torque is the enemy.

+++

The problem with manual clutch failure, is that most of the time, the failure is down to user 'misuse' rather than an actual failure.

Whereas with a DSG box, it's always going to be a mechanical or electrical failure, as the box's own safety systems will override any potential misuse.

DSG box's just aren't as reliable as manuals, think of the sheer number of components, and the price to repair them, if your looking at higher mileage cars, or buying a car to do high mileage in, DSG isn't the best choice.

That being said, on track, I'll always want a manual, but for general road driving, and even the odd tear up on the roads, I do like VAG's DSG box, and if it wasn't for the mileage I do, I'd have one, my next taxi probably won't be a manual, but it's more likely to be a tiptronic style conventional auto, unless someone offers me a 300k mile warranty on a DSG car.

Hi guys and gals well i work with these all day everyday and gotta say they are generally a good box the 6 Speed 02E DSG.....all be it the dreaded mechatronics of which was a replacement of the said offender plus a software update.Then just a software issue hopefully, fingers crossed!!!!!!VAG have ironed out most of the issues with the lurching juddering etc etc with later 2009 Common rail engines and the later petrol engined derivatives and all preceeding models. Basically all the gear internals most of you know its a basic manual box with the wet multi plate clutch pack.......you can change these i have done several for clutch judder. These are pretty good but like all clutches, drive like a James Hunt you will trash it!!!!

Oil pumps and the shafts can be changed very rare and the oil cooler on the top which i have changed a few for leaking internally into the box....AGAIN very rare.

Servicing every 40K oil & filter change.

Possible oil pump failure could cause the box to shut down.....:mad:

I.E..... no oil pressure

no gears

no drive

hopefully clutch pack should be cool. Worth a go if that happened to me.

BUT and there is a big BUT...on the earlier type 02E DSG gearboxes they had 2 drain plugs on them and if the INDY has touched the wrong one im sure damage could result....(ill consult my notes on this.)

A good kicking (ABUSE) can shut the box down.Which my good people you can tell if it has been abused checking the measure value blocks!!!!! I will add later if you like as this is a handy tip if you if you want to buy one thats got some miles you can check to see if some little James Hunt has been doing the launch control and overheated the box/clutch pack or just generally abused it. Some one with VAG COM could do this for you. VAG tech support ask for this MVB when replacing the box..........last possible cause Engine ecu communication issues ecu buggered has been known

7SPEED DSG no service interval at all...done a few Mechatronics on these......pretty good just clunky and a bit jerky when new!!! but they have 2 dry normal clutches you can change these too, have done these as well...........fiddly and have changed the procedure again!!!!!

The clutches as i have said will need to be changed at some point in its life...but care and well maintained ones should last a very long time just use GENUINE PARTS!+++:D

........hope some of this info is of some use i just wanna help. If you need some of the value blocks you VAG COM geeks+++ aint sure of PM me ill do me best for you.......

Peace to you all TidyDubs........working for a Stealer wishing i was an INDY+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• 2 years later...
Hi guys and gals well i work with these all day everyday and gotta say they are generally a good box the 6 Speed 02E DSG.....all be it the dreaded mechatronics of which was a replacement of the said offender plus a software update.Then just a software issue hopefully, fingers crossed!!!!!!VAG have ironed out most of the issues with the lurching juddering etc etc with later 2009 Common rail engines and the later petrol engined derivatives and all preceeding models. Basically all the gear internals most of you know its a basic manual box with the wet multi plate clutch pack.......you can change these i have done several for clutch judder. These are pretty good but like all clutches, drive like a James Hunt you will trash it!!!!

Oil pumps and the shafts can be changed very rare and the oil cooler on the top which i have changed a few for leaking internally into the box....AGAIN very rare.

Servicing every 40K oil & filter change.

Possible oil pump failure could cause the box to shut down.....:mad:

I.E..... no oil pressure

no gears

no drive

hopefully clutch pack should be cool. Worth a go if that happened to me.

BUT and there is a big BUT...on the earlier type 02E DSG gearboxes they had 2 drain plugs on them and if the INDY has touched the wrong one im sure damage could result....(ill consult my notes on this.)

A good kicking (ABUSE) can shut the box down.Which my good people you can tell if it has been abused checking the measure value blocks!!!!! I will add later if you like as this is a handy tip if you if you want to buy one thats got some miles you can check to see if some little James Hunt has been doing the launch control and overheated the box/clutch pack or just generally abused it. Some one with VAG COM could do this for you. VAG tech support ask for this MVB when replacing the box..........last possible cause Engine ecu communication issues ecu buggered has been known

7SPEED DSG no service interval at all...done a few Mechatronics on these......pretty good just clunky and a bit jerky when new!!! but they have 2 dry normal clutches you can change these too, have done these as well...........fiddly and have changed the procedure again!!!!!

The clutches as i have said will need to be changed at some point in its life...but care and well maintained ones should last a very long time just use GENUINE PARTS!+++:D

........hope some of this info is of some use i just wanna help. If you need some of the value blocks you VAG COM geeks+++ aint sure of PM me ill do me best for you.......

Peace to you all TidyDubs........working for a Stealer wishing i was an INDY+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Any chance you can tell me which MVBs to look at for abuse !!

Thanks in advance ,

jef