Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MiguelMcTyson

Dumb Questions

18 posts in this topic

Now that my mk1 Golf Van project is underway I can look at possible smaller replacements for the RS4 Avant, and after following a mk1 TT roadster down a country lane the other day I think that I want one, a coupe though and it has to be Avaitor grey, now for the dumb question, this means you S.Khan,

Is the difference from 180 to 225 just mapping or are the turbo's a different size?

Was there a facelift, when and does it matter?

How affordable are suspension upgrades?

This is just the start but there is a 180 quattro available and I am up for some tuning so i really want to do my research to see if i need to wait for a 225

Turbos are different and there are a few other differences - 225 had 2 intercoolers etc. There was a facelift, my 52 plate had it....just. Few cosmetic changes but the biggest were 9 spoke RS4 style wheels and lowered suspension as standard. Get a 225 if you can, a much better base point, and of course a coupe!

Thanks Gren, well that's an easy decision then, if I'm right only the 225 got twin pipes as well?

Now I just need to find one that isn't 200 miles away.

Along with the v6 (and lets not forget the Sport) the 225 did get the twin pipes.

TTr and end of line sport both had 2 seats, coupe is 2+2.

Best colour is Nimbus Grey, closely followed by Orange & Yellow. You might find facelift or not is dictated by your colour choice, because some colours i am sure were dropped on model year changes and some were not available (other than Audi exclusive) after the facelift.

Tuning potential is huge on the 1.8T, look at Mooks trac golf as an example. I am sure there are tuning options for the 3.2, I know the R32 has supercharger kits available, but space might be an issue squeezing these into the TT.

You'd need to speak to someone like Mook perhaps who could advise if the 225 continues to have advantages if you are going for big power - it maybe that by the time you rebuild the bottom end, upgrade the turbo and fit a FMI that all of the 225 benefits are replaced anyway leaving you a bigger market to look at for cars. I know certainly if you were going for a remap alone then the 225 is far better option.

Suspension is like anything and depends what you want to Pay - Charlie who runs TT spares (he lives on our end of the city and drives a red TTr) was running offers on coilover kits recently and there is regularly second hand stuff on the tt-forum.co.uk where people are putting cars back to stock before selling.

If you want to borrow ours for a couple of days I'm sure we can come to some arrangement, my new car shoudl arrive by the weekend, so the TT will be sat around having a break for the winter.

If you want a decently tuneable engine, get the 225 BAM engine. This has stronger internals and lower compression, so you can throw more boost at it.

The 180 is just a 150 Golf engine with a K03s turbo on it. You can get these to a reliable 210bhp with a remap and a decent exhuast.

The 225 runs a K04 turbo. Get a decent remap and exhaust and you'll see 250. The swap the standard turbo for a hybrid K04 (about £900) and you'll see 270+. These are all based on real world figures, not tuners figures which, for some mysterious reason always seem to be higher than real-world ;)

Don't take a stock 225 engine over 290 ft/lb of torque without upgrading the con-rods. The stock BAM 225 pistons will cope with up to 400bhp - the conrods are the weak point.

Thanks everyone really useful info, I must have Avaitor grey though I just loved it as soon as I saw it, I think the turbo you describe on the 225 is the same as the ED30 gti I had, and the new S3? And those go well over 300 although as I'm going to end up in an older car I'd prefer not to blow it up!

I want the 225 for the twin pipes too, I think it's a much better look, just need to sell the RS now but there is no big rush the Golf is going to be at least two months to sort.

I'll keep you informed but if anyone sees an Avaitor grey car, please let me know, oh and manuals please

Oh and mileage, should I be concerned about 100kmcars, there is one on the trader with coil overs already done for £6k

The S3 and Ed30 golf both had the 2l T engine which does see well over 300 :D

I wouldnt be too worried about mileage if it has some demonstrable history with it.

I think the main issues you'll see on the TT are Dash pods not working - these show a variety of faults and are notorious failures on earlier cars - well they arent according to Audi, but they are to most owners!!! Some varients of the headlamps also appear to suffer a problem with the xenon bulbs flickersing and goign out, some due to lose balasts, but again these seem to suffer a few different problems. Headlamps can be swapped out for non xenons at not too much cost and I just put up with my dash pod as the temp gauge reads slightly high - can be fixed but it means taking the dash out.

You just missed out an a nice modded orange coupe at Houghton Regis. :darnsmilie:

Like SK says - the TT Mk1 uses the 1.8T. There's four versions all with different internals - 150, 180, 225 and 240 (in the QS).

It's the same basic internals on the K04 on the TT225 and TTQS as with the Ed30 and S3, but the body of the turbo is different, so you can't just take an Ed30 or new model S3 turbo and bolt it straight on to a 1.8T engine.

It depends on your budget, but to get a sensible and reliable 290bhp & 290ft/lb, stick a CR Turbos hybrid K04 on it, a set of Genesis 550 injectors, a bigger front mount intercooler (FMIC), a good free-flowing air filter like Green Cotton and a decent custom remap.

That's the exact set-up I run in my Mk2 track toy and it ran 304bhp & 302ft/lb consistently on the dyno with 1.6 bar of boost (I run stronger internals than stock). The only problem with running that much power is that it has a very peaky torque curve which peaks at 4K, so it comes in with a bang. I run an after-market ECU with switchable maps - I only use the 304 map on the road if I want to surprise some very expensive toys. It used to be hard work before I fitted the LSD, but now that's on, it's a lot of fun :grin:

I run a track map at 272bhp & 270 ft/lb with 1.4 bar of boost which has a much smoother torque curve and it's very driveable on track. I get that you may not be taking your toy on track - the Golf is very driveable on the road with that map as well.

Thanks again guys, I already have a track car (325i) so I really just want sensible power for the road without loads of lag, coming from the V8.

Having said all this looking at the likely sale price of the RS4 I am finding it hard coming to terms with letting it go, but this is one of the reasons for selling, I'm just sick of spending and losing so much

JFDI as I say to some of the guys at work who think too much before doing something ;)

Edited by Mook

IF you dont want lag on the road then you'll need to look into remaps before getting it done as I remember when I had mine some of the guys had them with massive peaks that felt like nowt was happening then suddenly all hell broke lose - wasn't my style. Best I drove was an Oettinger mapped car when I was in Belgium that felt like a stock car just more of it (so to speak).

As Mook said jfdi.

Well the RS4 has solf to be collected on Friday, thanks to Andy from here who is doing the finance.

Now I need to find a car! only 2 225's in Avaiter Grey available and both have over 100k miles and both have been modded but typically only cosmetically from what I can tell, one has coilovers and runs 19 inch wheels which to me is just style over driveability but is buyable at £5,500, the other is this one

Audi : 2001 (51) Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro

Any thoughts?

With a wak box fitted chances are that's driven by someone one the tt-forum, so you might find some history of the car on there. If you want that colour you are never going to get many cars come up +++

So fingers crossed I have found on in Avaiter Grey, 225 with 90k on the clock, a few minor issues to sort but it's cheap and it has had a new dashpod shao!

All thing being equal and going to plan it should be here by Weds/Thurs and then I can decide what to do first, wheels I think, tidy up the paint dependent on how bad the marks are and then look at the performance from there