Racing, like it used to be

wagonsled

I've always been into racing games, among my faveourites are-

Indy 500 on the Amiga, due to the replay function, and the mental crashes you could set up.

Lotus Turbo challenge on the Amiga again.

RC Pro-Am on the NES.

Rock'n'Roll racing on the SNES.

Super MArio Kart on the SNES.

Hard Drivin in the arcade (all conversions of it were crap).

APB on the Atari Lynx and in the arcade

Test Drive on the Amiga.

Super Sprint in the Arcade, with the 4 steering wheels

Sega Rally in the arcade and on the Deamcast.

Daytona USA in the Arcade.

Destruction Derby on the Playstation 1.

Excellent thread!

One of my first racing games i remember was F1 GP ont he Atari 2600 (square cartrige jobbie). Used to be a square with 4 smaller squares on each corner for the wheels.

On tracks with ICE the track just changed colour to blue! haha.. but it was excellent! loved it!

Some others include the following.

Stunts (PC) which allowed you to build your own tracks with loop de loops, banked corners and Ramps for jumps! Bloody loved that game! Wasted many a night on that.

Iron Mans 4x4 (PC)

Carmageddon (PC)

Street Racer (SNES)

Outrun (PC)

Lotus Turbo Challange (PC)

Micro Machines (PC)

F-Zero (SNES)

Destruction Derby (PS1)

Gran Turismo 2 (PS1)

Need for speed Porschce Challange (PC) - best Need for speed game ever! Hate all the other tat!

• 3 months later...
Indy 500 on the Amiga, due to the replay function, and the mental crashes you could set up.

That was just about the best early game (1977) on the Atari 2600, it came with special paddle controllers (in bigger orange box) for 360 degree control. This game was originally the 1974 b/w game Gran Trak 10, a real classic and one of the first electronic, solid state arcade machines. On the 2600 console the game was in colour, an innovation!

post-3319-137914460656_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
As mentioned before, quality old games I used to play were stunts on the pc making endless insane tracks,

That by far is my all time break through game i had. No one else in my school even had a PC let alone Stunts.exe!

I couldn't share the experience with anyone unless they came over to try it. The banked corners, the loop de loops and jumps etc!

Man what a game! :)

Stunts was basically a complete rip off of Atari's Hard Drivin.

Only it was actually playable on a home system, unlike Hard Drivin which was awesome in the arcade, but all home conversions of it (Megadrive, Snes, PC, Amiga etc) were utter sh1te.

For me, my all time favourite game, and the one I felt was 'my' break through game, is still Indy 500 on the Amiga, the sound was amazing (for it's time), and despite the fact it only had one (somewhat dull) track, the physics were brilliant, and the fact you could cause the most almighty pile ups, then watch them in a replay, slow mo etc, was just simply amazing at the time.

I used to just drive out the pits, turn around and see how long I could go round the wrong way until I had a head on smash, then try and involve as many cars as possible!

Another one I've just reminded myself of while looking at you tube clips of Indy 500 is Stunt Car Racer, also on the Amiga, that game stole a lot of my time growing up!

• 2 weeks later...
Another one I've just reminded myself of while looking at you tube clips of Indy 500 is Stunt Car Racer, also on the Amiga, that game stole a lot of my time growing up!

Stunt Car Racer was outstanding. Really liked the way it was set in a futuristic world, but still felt like a simulator and was just a pure racing game.

The level of difficulty curve was just perfect too... and you always felt that you could just get that perfect lap in if you tried one more time.