E92 M3 running costs

Andrew

Just wondered if anyone cared to put down what the running costs of this car are likely to be? I'd anticipate something similar to RS4 costs (I started a thread on that a while back) but anything that I should know would be most appreciated.

I'm seriously considering parting with some hard earned but have yet to take the M3 or RS4 out for a drive (both dealerships I went to today didn't have one I could drive).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you're test driving both, you'll end up going the M3 route - winding that V8 up is addictive. It's also a much more advanced car - B7 RS4 came out in 05/06. Like Woppum says, the RS4 is a great drive, but, even though it's bloody quick, it's a bit dull compared to the M3.

Fuel will be the killer in the M3. RS4 will return low to mid 20s long term. M3 will be sub 20.

- (Proper) Tyres are £1200 a set (PS2s or the new PS3s)

- Insurance for me (32 yo, London, no claims, clean license) is £1k

- Fuel is....something you will become very familiar with. 16.1mpg average over the last year and a bit

- Servicing isn't that bad - I paid maybe £250 for the first service although bear in mind I took my own Oil (8 litres of it) and that most items (brakes etc) are on variable/as-and-when so actually, its punchy

- TAX is £415 (for now)

- Anything else you need is expensive e.g. replacement alloys are apparently £610+VAT

- Oil, whilst not crippling at £14 a litre is frequently demanded

The M3 has sort of come at me a bit left field - didn't think I'd consider one but now you can get one for around the £30k mark they are of interest. And the one I saw yesterday did look very good.

I'd be keeping the miles low so the fuel isn't too much of a worry and the place I'll keep it (Scotland) enjoys better insurance premiums (at least where I'll be) than London.

The "newness" of the car is a big pull but I still prefer the looks of the RS4. That said, not driven either so I'll reserve judgement for now. Not entirely convinced by the M3 interior either. The other thing of course is that if it is in Scotland, during the winter months an RS4 would not have to remain "parked" while the prospect of snow was about - actually quite a big consideration perhaps.

Are there any M3 common faults? RS4 faults are well documented.

Oh, and Mollox, just how much do you love your car? +++

Like others have said, the M3 is the newer car, so the technology in it (iDrive) is leagues ahead.

Fuel consumption, well I AVERAGED 24.3mpg in mine and didn't drive it like a pansy, it was also mapped, filter and custom exhaust. MOLLOX lives/drives in London, so 16.1mpg is quite possible along with his binary right foot ;) Always run it on 99RON fuel, or it'll be below 400bhp. (395bhp on 95RON, 426bhp on VPower)

Tyres are £1200 a set unless you stick shite ones on.

Servicing is fine, only discs and pads to concern yourself with.

Will need a litre of oil between services, but it's similar if not worse on the Audi V8.

No real faults to be honest, I'd only buy a car with Bluetooth and EDC (electronic damper control) though.

+++

And what about warranty and extending it. The Audi one is outrageously priced (some £1600 p.a.) ... what is the M3 scheme like? Also, is the warranty cover any good - there are doubts about just how good the Audi extension really is.

The BMW warranty is around £1200 a year, but you can get different levels, so if you want to only cover the engine and gearbox (not electronics, etc) it would be less. You really dont want an M car without the engine and gearbox covered.

You found any that you have your eye on yet ?

Keep us updated +++

No, I've not even driven one yet. In any case, looking at a Dec ish purchase. Depends how the new relationship in Scotland blossoms (it is very new although rather promising) - I'll need the car for up there so in short, a fun weekend car with a practical element (last point essential). I'll keep the LCR for when I'm back in London working as the work horse. It has done 90k now so not worth selling.

The RS4 is still a huge contender though - I adore the looks. We will see! Sales driector here did worry me though as a mate of his has just spent £7k on his M5 SMG gearbox and had spent previously £4k on his E46 M3's gearbox. I'd not enjoy those bills too much!

The RS4 is still a huge contender though - I adore the looks. We will see! Sales driector here did worry me though as a mate of his has just spent £7k on his M5 SMG gearbox and had spent previously £4k on his E46 M3's gearbox. I'd not enjoy those bills too much!

Like I said, you don't want a high performance car without a proper warranty !

The RS4 is a lovely car and I'm sure you'd not be disappointed with either, I just think (like I would probably have done) if you get the RS4 you'll look at every M3 on the road and wish you'd have bought one.

Just thought of one spanner in the works. On my car I've 7 years no claims so insurance is pretty good. With 7 years on the M3 it is still only about £700. Of course since I'm not selling my LCR I will have to start with 0 NCB! Hmmm, not a crippler but not ideal either. Might have to sell the modified LCR after all and buy something very average for my England car - 0 NCB on my LCR (if I moved the 7 year policy to the new car) with its mods returned no insurers wishing to touch it!

How have others got around this or is it just how it is?

Just thought of one spanner in the works. On my car I've 7 years no claims so insurance is pretty good. With 7 years on the M3 it is still only about £700. Of course since I'm not selling my LCR I will have to start with 0 NCB! Hmmm, not a crippler but not ideal either. Might have to sell the modified LCR after all and buy something very average for my England car - 0 NCB on my LCR (if I moved the 7 year policy to the new car) with its mods returned no insurers wishing to touch it!

How have others got around this or is it just how it is?

I was in just this situation having used my NCD on the Porsche. However Admiral gave me a very good quote on the BMW (despite the fact it has a 4.4 V8!). You can get an accelerator policy and get yourself to sets of NCD built up more quickly. Admiral may not be the best when it comes to the small print however...

Just been to a dealership to see a car for a drive and again, they flaming sold it before I got there!

However, I did get a proper chance to look round the 3 series interior (of a new M3) and they are very nice places to be. I'm more convinced about that than I was. The car I looked at was a sort of matt grey in colour - looked very nice.

I took my iPod along for a demo of the iPod integration and the sales guy reckoned that without telematics you couldn't use it other than in the aux port. Is that right? Seems odd to me for a newer car not to be iPod compatible as standard. Bit of a let down if so. (since I've had my Becker in the LCR I think it is the best thing I've ever bought for a car - REVO included - so I definately want the iPod feature).

Nice. The car I was supposed to drive was Jerez - that looked awesome and I'd have one in that. The one I did eventually sit in to check out the inside was the matt grey - a brand new one.

The chap did say you could retrofit Bluetooth but he said it was an after market system a bit like a Parrot.

Ok, so USB, Bluetooth and EDC are now musts. Oh, and none of this red interior business either! Or that Aluminium trim - not a big fan of that really.

Nice. The car I was supposed to drive was Jerez - that looked awesome and I'd have one in that. The one I did eventually sit in to check out the inside was the matt grey - a brand new one.

The chap did say you could retrofit Bluetooth but he said it was an after market system a bit like a Parrot.

Ok, so USB, Bluetooth and EDC are now musts. Oh, and none of this red interior business either! Or that Aluminium trim - not a big fan of that really.

I wouldn't retro a Parrot into a £40k+ car, only go for a factory Bluetooth equipped car. Jerez is stunning, along with Fox Red interior and Carbon Look Leather trim +++

No, what I meant was that when I asked the sales guy whether Bluetooth could be retro fitted he said yes, but that it wasn't as it would have been as original. I agree about not retrofitting something like a Parrot - I want it totally standard. I had hoped you could retrofit Bluetooth as if it was ordered in the first place - it appears not!

Well... You CAN retrofit Bluetooth, but it takes a lot of money and effort (and the BMW tech machine) to do it... so that's why they just say NO. An ipod connection can be installed to replace the CD Changer (done this in the M5 as it was missing iPod link) it's not bad, you get all the artist/album/track info and can be fitted for £365 by Redhill BMW.

I wouldn't retro a Parrot into a £40k+ car, only go for a factory Bluetooth equipped car. Jerez is stunning, along with Fox Red interior and Carbon Look Leather trim +++

What I was actually getting at is I'm stunned everytime a dealer offers the cheap (and profit loaded) option on such a car