My New R32..Couple of issues...?

Martyn

Hi, I took ownerhip of my R32 last week, this weekend was my first opportunity to take it out for a proper deive and have a real good look. I am so pleased with this purchase...however..there are a couple of things that I have noticed that I need to sort out.

I will post some pics of the car as an introduction soon.

1. There is a resonating sound at low speed from the rear boot trim, right where the rear windscreen wiper is, I can also make it happen when the boot is open by flicking the trim, is it loose, or what, is this a common problem..? Do I need to remove the trim and fix something...?

2. There is a black box under the driver seat with some electronics in it, I am dammned if I can get the lid to go back on properly, I have had a look and can't see any plastic Tabs broken, but it won't go back on properly, just keeps falling off...I have long legs so my seat is nearly as far back as it will go for me to drive, so this box is exposed, I need to get this on properly.

3. The cupholder thing down between the driver and passenger seat, there is a sliding lid on it, it is stuck half open (or closed..!?) and I can't get it open or closed, how th heck do I get at this to fix it...?

4. I will be looking what version Firmware the RNS 510 / MFD2 is, I am also looking for iphone integration, I have blue tooth for calls, and Sat Nav and the bigger display MFD....and would like to control the phone / tunes with the steering wheel, and see the track info in the MFD.

Thanks very much for anyones help,

Cheers, Martyn.

Possibly best if I try and answer in red below :-

1. There is a resonating sound at low speed from the rear boot trim, right where the rear windscreen wiper is, I can also make it happen when the boot is open by flicking the trim, is it loose, or what, is this a common problem..? Do I need to remove the trim and fix something...?

Not normal - must be some trim needing fixed down.

2. There is a black box under the driver seat with some electronics in it, I am dammned if I can get the lid to go back on properly, I have had a look and can't see any plastic Tabs broken, but it won't go back on properly, just keeps falling off...I have long legs so my seat is nearly as far back as it will go for me to drive, so this box is exposed, I need to get this on properly.

Harman Becker Automotive System unit - it's for the accoustic feedback (amp) of the Sat-Nav head unit.

3. The cupholder thing down between the driver and passenger seat, there is a sliding lid on it, it is stuck half open (or closed..!?) and I can't get it open or closed, how th heck do I get at this to fix it...?

It needs to be lifted full height, then it will revert to the 'flat' position so you can rest your arm on it whilst driving.

4. I will be looking what version Firmware the RNS 510 / MFD2 is, I am also looking for iphone integration, I have blue tooth for calls, and Sat Nav and the bigger display MFD....and would like to control the phone / tunes with the steering wheel, and see the track info in the MFD.

I suspect you'll have difficulty with the iPhone integration (to play iTunes tracks) unless you have the MDi interface (and connector) in the armrest to link to your Head Unit. I presume the Bluetooth you have is an add on, not OEM? I know iPhones are an issue to OEM Bluetooth systems. I have a Skoda unit that links by Bluetooth to my RNS 510 and allows me to use the touchscreen funtions and MFSW for calls but this was all installed by the Dealer at delivery.

Hope this helps. +++ TP.

Thanks for the welcome TP, and your replies..

1. I will take the rear boot trim off and see what is going on underneath.

2. This Harman Becker Automotive System Unit - How do I get the lid back on it properly..?

3. The cupholder I am referring to is the lower one - not the arm rest, but the one down by the handbrake lever..!

It has a ribbed sliding cover that goes backwards to reveal the cupholder and bottle opener thing.

4. The previous owner had blue tooth put in by VW - I have the VW guide for it - Parrot Manufacturor. I also have a 6 CD changer unit in the armrest...I plan on taking this out and using a lead which I have bought to connect the aux input behind the RNS510 to an iPhone connector - and power. This means I can make and take calls using bluetooth, play my iphone stored music through the unit and charge the iphone, BUT will have no control from the steering wheel or display on the MFD. I understand there are things you can buy, Dension Gateway / Connect2 to get full functionality via the unit and the steering wheel and the display, has anyone installed any thing like this..?

Martyn,

I've treid in the past to get the Harman Becker Automotive System cover off and failed - how you therefore get it back on, I've no idea, sorry! On the cupholder, the sliding cover can come off it's 'edges' might be just some knack of getrting it back in the rails that someone else might assist with. For your iPhone, I got a Tech to take out the 6-CD player from the armrest and bought the MDi unit and connecting wiring (Kufatec) and it's great for iPod functions. Hopefully, someone else on TSN will add to this Thread and give you additional tips.

Happy motoring ! :eclipse:TP.