[Audi A3/S3] Audi a3 ABS light and air bag light

hambo76

Hi I wonder if someone could help me.

My Audi A3 has been tucked away in a garage for 3 years on a SORN, prior to this there were no faults. Now as i want to get it back on the road the ABS light stays on, which i'm told is an MOt failure. Could this be a quick fix? As i mentioned it had no faults previously.

The airbag light I am not so worried about as I am also told this is not an MOT failure.

Thanks

A vagcom scan would tell you.

- Airbag light is probably the connector under one or both of the front seats - Yellow connector i think. Take it apart and spray with electrical cleaner.

- ABS light could be a failed brake light switch on the pedal. Simple to replace for less than £10. These are common parts to fail, otherwise maybe Yaw sensor or something else.

A vagcom scan would tell you.

- Airbag light is probably the connector under one or both of the front seats - Yellow connector i think. Take it apart and spray with electrical cleaner.

My airbag light has been on since someone slammed the passenger seat back into place, I have disconnected/cleaned/reconnected the connector underneath (similar happened when it was new) but the light stays on. Does it need to be switched off by a dealer/Vagcom?

It switches itself off when you have sorted the fault.

It took me a few tries on my A4 to solve this problem and ended up using switch grease/lubricant on the contacts. They sell it for radio controlled cars so most hobby shops sell it. Prob exists in other forms too.

A VAGCOM scan would tell you for definite that it is that connector.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi i'm new to all this so I'm wondering if you can help me. Ive got exactly the same problem as you diagnosed and my dashboard currently lit up like a xmas tree.

could you tell me if you managed to resolve the issue as my airbag and abs light keep coming on intermittently.

look forward to hearing your reply (hopefully)