New Golf R - first impressions

Soulboy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I heard that the Rocco will now have the option of Recaro seats for just over £3k. Backward step IMO to replace the rear spoiler on the Rocco R with the one off the standard car. You're paying a premium for these models so you do want it to be different

That's it, mines a classic, the price has gone up ;)

Well 1500 miles on the clock and loving this car more and more.

And has been mentioned previously - it really is very much like the original R.

I am also getting over 30 mpg average (inc commuting) and am really pleased I went for the standard seats rather than the (poor quality VW) leather. Super grippy and dont need heating as they seem warm when its cold.

Great great car and love the little unique touches like the rear lights.

:grin:

With regard the MY11 changes, these were posted on another forum:

GOLF R

Optional multi-function display in colour. Price: R, £180

Alteration of gearshift lever for DSG.

Electronic climate control rotary dial changed to matt black.

Mute button added to optical parking system with rear-view camera.

Scirocco R

Optional multi-function display in colour. Price: R £180

Optional new RNS 315 satellite navigation system (now DAB and Bluetooth compatible). Price £570.

Alteration of gearshift lever for DSG.

Hands free profile telephone preparation replaces rSAP telephone preparation. Price £240. Doesn’t include multifunction steering wheel. Existing orders will be built as ordered unless amended by Retailer before production is confirmed.

Optional Recaro part-leather sport seats. Price £3,230.

Electronic climate control rotary dial changed to matt black.

Week 38: Rear roof spoiler was replaced with standard Scirocco spoiler from week 38.

Edited by Soulboy

If the RS3 transpires to be real then that's where I'll chuck my 40k.

Except it will probably be more like 50k... Having talked to a TTRS owner the engine sounds incredible with 400bhp fairly easy to get and APS have one that is heading towards 500 !

Except it will probably be more like 50k... Having talked to a TTRS owner the engine sounds incredible with 400bhp fairly easy to get and APS have one that is heading towards 500 !

yes but why would you want a 500bhp tt when you could get a r8 for the same price?

rs3 is tempting yes, but at the right price. if i was spending £50k i wouldnt consider an audi hatchback, simply would not trust residuals.

Not sure that buying any kind of performance car comes with any guarantees on residuals, even more so going forwards. I'm under no illusion in this respect, the purchase is written off, just going to need a really big garage for all the cars!

If the RS3 appears and it's 50k I'll probably look elsewhere. Paying 50k for an Audi hatch is nearly as barking as paying 40k for a Golf!

A variety of info on the RS3 over on RS6.com.

Have I missed something or is the RS3 really confirmed? Or is it still as confirmed as it was in 2005 when we started expecting it's imminent launch? +++

Who knows! There's a good thread over on rs6.com. The guy who posts as Qisha appears to have good links to Audi HQ. There are photos and a video!

I have a letter of intent down with a dealer, car expected to appear 3Q11.

I hate to admit it but it looks like it is indeed coming..... :o

Riz

DON'T DO IT RIZ!!!

You and I are the stalwart defenders of the MkIV. Everyone else caved in to bribes and marketing and now you're making noises like the rest! :uhoh:

If you must succumb to this RS3 hype, make it car #2. :)

DON'T DO IT RIZ!!!

You and I are the stalwart defenders of the MkIV. Everyone else caved in to bribes and marketing and now you're making noises like the rest! :uhoh:

If you must succumb to this RS3 hype, make it car #2. :)

Noway is the R32 going.......... I did wan`t a RS3 many many years ago but I have other desires I wan`t at the moment.. one of which is finding a job abroad :o

How is your R32 doing? Mine`s all tucked away for winter :D

Riz

• 3 months later...

Well 5 months and 6.5k miles down the line and I have still only seen 2 others on the road.

Must say that the car is bedding in nicely. The engine is freeing up and the exhaust is growling more (sorry Wopps).

No complaints whatsoever to go back to the dealers with (rattles etc) and averaging over 30mpg.

As far as driving experience, it is so much more fun than the S3. The S3 was good but bland, but this Golf R makes me want to get in it and drive all the time, like the MK4 R32 used to.

The new Haldex is unbelievable in the wet. The car just grips for dear life. If you floor it in the wet, it just drives like it is dry.

I am looking forward to TP27 getting his and hearing his views.

post-2750-137914462829_thumb.jpg

post-2750-137914462831_thumb.jpg

post-2750-137914462833_thumb.jpg

I am looking forward to TP27 getting his and hearing his views.

Me too Soulboy !!

Delighted your R is fun for you and that it's bedding in well ! Love it in 3-door guise, looks quite squat !

I'm hoping to physically drive one in early March, when the Dealer finally gets a Demo in. As you know, I hope to have mine in late May/early June !! It's been a very very long wait and as you say, a rare car indeed ! +++

Me too Soulboy !!

Delighted your R is fun for you and that it's bedding in well ! Love it in 3-door guise, looks quite squat !

I'm hoping to physically drive one in early March, when the Dealer finally gets a Demo in. As you know, I hope to have mine in late May/early June !! It's been a very very long wait and as you say, a rare car indeed ! +++

I wish you would hurry up TP27. I am getting bored talking to myself on this thread :grin:

As I said before - if you ever down in sunny England, give me a shout.

The pics are actually my car. I saved them from the VW site when I bought it. They are the 18" wheels not the 19s - which I would have gone for if I had specced it.......but at least its better over pot holes and the tyres are cheaper!

I must admit it's growing on me day by day and I've yet to hear anyone say anything bad about it.

In fact it's following the same pattern of all previous Golf incarnations where existing owners of the previous version slate it on release and say they are never going to buy one and give 101 reasons why the one they have is better. Then 6 months later they are buying them and saying it's the best car ever. I'm even seeing threads on R32OC now praising it whereas a few months ago it was an expensive heap of sh!t that sounded like a Dyson.

I think your Post makes alot of sense and does echo the general mood and comments of R32 owners - for me, the primary downside is the lack of V6 soundtrack, oh, and the exorbitant price, particularly the Options !! That said, I'm really looking forward to finally driving the R as they seem like hen's teeth !! In the end, I just ordered one 'cos...... !! :D