FCUK FCUK FCUK FCUK FCUK FCUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ari

I knew this would happen with these wheels!!

Just didn't think it'd happen this soon or this badly, bloody cars' only a week old!!! SAUER0421.GIF

Driving home tonight, winding narrowish uphill road, car coming fast round corner other way, I moved right into the left to make sure there was room as no way he could have stopped (not trying to blame other guy particularly, I was just being ultra cautious) and BANG! touched the kerb.

So fecking upset and annoyed with myself. suicide.gif

I've been so careful too as I've been paranoid about these wheels...

Agree about suggestion of swapping for spare, although I was hoping to save this as my "get out of jail" card for when I eventually did scuff a wheel. Looks like I'll have to buy a new tyre too, oh well, this one must have been nearly worn out, it'd done almost 200 miles....! smashfreakB.gif

Makes me feel sick... Flush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Can live with a £50 wheel repair, but a 235/45/17 Conti int gonna be cheap... smashfreakB.gif

What a PRAT!!!! (Me not you...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ari

Shop around and the tyre will probably only be £100 plus £50 for the wheel repair. Audi will charge you £100 more than that just for a new wheel.

AZ

Ari, what a wounder. Really sorry for you.

You've got the same wheels as me and I'm normally pretty careful. Didn't help me scuffing 3 out of the 4 though. I know exactly how you feel, I felt sick to the stomach the first time, really angry the second time and just wanted to cry the third time. Maybe if I do the last one, I'll just laugh and hope Wicked Wheels will give a discount for doing all 4.

Ouch!!! EEK2.GIF Holy [censored] Ari, that is bad news.... crazy.gif Talk about Murphy's law eh? smashfreakB.gif

I was once 'rewarded' with a damaged alloy, whilst avoiding a collision with a very careless driver, who failed to give me the right of way. Left me with the bill, and no thanks from the faulty driver. Police told me afterwards insurance wise I should have let him hit my car, because since I succesfully managed to avoid him, there was no colision, and this was therefor a 'one sided accident'. Go figure... ROLLEY~14.GIF

Hope you'll get it sorted without to much costs...

Yikes!

Join the club though Ari - I knackered one of mine in front of a load of people in Buxton a couple of years ago - it hurts, even now smile.gif

Get some tyres with the rim protectors on (Toyo's etc) as I found that after fitting these, even though I did clip a couple of kerbs, I didn't damage the wheels again.

Cheers guys beerchug.gif

Good to know it's not just me.

I was thinking about it last night (along the lines of "typical, I wait till I get a brand new car and then hit the kerb and feck a wheel") and it dawned on me that I've probably touched the kerb loads of times before, but this is the first car I've had with such low profile tyres so I guess when I've done it before I've only hit the tyre and not the wheel...

PITA though. I'm going to take it to a tyre place I know today and get it swapped for the spare and then see about getting it fixed...

What I really need is to find someone about to sell or p/x their Audi Cab with the same type of spare wheel that will quietly swap spare wheels with me for £100... sekret.gif

Hopefully a lesson learned, but knowing me I doubt it. smashfreakB.gif

Worse kerbing case I heard of was a friend of mine with 19 inch rims on his new M3. He got stuck in a very narrow street in France with high kerbs, couldn't back out and had to go through. He kerbed all four alloys all the way around SAUER0421.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

I was once 'rewarded' with a damaged alloy, whilst avoiding a collision with a very careless driver, who failed to give me the right of way. Left me with the bill, and no thanks from the faulty driver. Police told me afterwards insurance wise I should have let him hit my car, because since I succesfully managed to avoid him, there was no colision, and this was therefor a 'one sided accident'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a very similar incident to this, some years ago, in my old Scimitar. Was forced up a curb, tyre exploded on impact, front suspension turret torn apart. The other guy pulled up, realised what he had done, and shot off into the distance. sportifs2.gif

I had to lift the body off the chassis to weld to turret back together, then replace all the suspension components, wheel and tyre. I had a similar response from the police, and vowed never again to take such efforts to avoid the other car. However, in the heat of the moment, instinct takes over, and I'm not sure that I could drive into another car deliberately.

Sorry to hear of your mishap, Ari. Just one of the reasons I opted for the 18", rather than 19", on my RS6. The wheel's a half inch narrower and gains significantly more protection from the tyre.

We've all been there and done it, and tthe feeling doen't get any better no matter how many times you do it yelrotflmao.gif

It all goes to proving you should hit the curb full on no matter how fast you're going, I managed to hit a curb at high speed in a Stilo I had on hire and all it needed was a tyre.....so next time don't be such a poof grin.gif

Bit of good news today! smile.gif

Went to my local tyre depot as I know them well there. They tell me the tyre is fine. The bit that is ripped is the "rim protector" and is not a structural part of the tyre at all. Their advice, superglue it back into place and it'll be absolutely fine.

That just leaves the wheel to be repaired which judging by posts I've seen on here should be £50 ish.

Also been into the Audi garage and they've given me the name of a local wheel repairer who is excellent apparently.

The tyre place has put the spare on the front now, so I'll drop the damaged one off, get it fixed and put it as a spare I think.

So still a rotten thing to happen, but at least the tyre is good (would have been gutted if I'd had to buy a new tyre) and I expect the wheel is fixable and hopefully won't cost too much.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The bit that is ripped is the "rim protector" and is not a structural part of the tyre at all. Their advice, superglue it back into place and it'll be absolutely fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but I pose the question to you as to if that tyre would pass an MOT and I expect not, as regardless of it's function it is still part of the sidewall, and would probably be classed that way if pulled by the police. Also who is to say how deep that split goes?

I think I would be inclined to check with an MOT garage as to the legality of the tyre with it's damage.