steel wheels/winter tyres for my new Q5

oss.sensei

Welcome to the forum +++

Steel wheels will look sh!te and only last a season before going rusty. What you need to look for are wheels in this size: 7x17 or 7.5x17 PCD 5/112 ET35-37 CB66.6. Any wheels in that size will be fine with a tyre of 235/65 R 17 104H.

There's a huge range of wheels here: Audi Q5 17" Alloy Wheels Search Page 1 - Alloy Wheels, Rochford Tyres or I can recomend the Alutec Grip wheel for winter use - comes with a 5 year warranty - Geniune Audi wheels only have 2 years! This German dealer sells them at 94 euros a wheel with free shipping to the UK:

Alutec Grip - 7.5 x 17 Zoll, 94,00 € - Koenig-Felgen Alufelgen Shop - günstige Alufelgen, Felgen, Kompletträder, Sommerreifen, Winterreifen - direkt online günstig !.

As for tyres checkout: mytyres.co.uk - Details: Nokian WR G2 Sport Utility 235/65 R17 108H XL they are a highly rate Finnish tyre and are a good price.

Edit: They actually sell the Audi OEM winter tyre for a few quid more: http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=66923678.110.3415&typ=D-111607&ranzahl=4&Breite=235&Herst=Dunlop&Quer=65&Felge=17&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=Wi

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Audi have launched an official winter wheel and tyre programme (15th Sep 2010) for a number of Audi vehicles including the Q5.

However, their marketing has been dreadful - you'll have to ask your dealer for details, but for the Q5, details are as follows:

Q5 - 4 x 17-inch five-arm design Alloys with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D - £1160.00

Not a bad price considering that's for 4 official Audi OEM alloys supplied with rubber already on. The Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds have won a number of winter tyre test recently and get great user reviews. The tyres alone would be about £150 each. (Tyre size is 235/65/17)

You can see more details here:

Poole Audi Blog: New winter wheel and tyre programme launched

Although this link is from Poole Audi, it's a UK wide programme, supported by Audi UK. I've just ordered the A4 17" wheel and tyre set from Edinburgh Audi.

Audi have launched an official winter wheel and tyre programme (15th Sep 2010) for a number of Audi vehicles including the Q5.

However, their marketing has been dreadful - you'll have to ask your dealer for details, but for the Q5, details are as follows:

Q5 - 4 x 17-inch five-arm design Alloys with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D - £1160.00

Not a bad price considering that's for 4 official Audi OEM alloys supplied with rubber already on. The Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds have won a number of winter tyre test recently and get great user reviews. The tyres alone would be about £150 each. (Tyre size is 235/65/17)

You can see more details here:

Poole Audi Blog: New winter wheel and tyre programme launched

Although this link is from Poole Audi, it's a UK wide programme, supported by Audi UK. I've just ordered the A4 17" wheel and tyre set from Edinburgh Audi.

Thanks for this info Bob. I take it that it's you that commented on the blog. In it, you make a very valid point about checking with you insurance company in case they think changing to winter tyres is an "upgrade".

Hi rottenbend - yes it was me who commented on the blog.

I guess I'm amazed that there has been so little publicity for this initiative. I've just changed from a BMW, and the BMW and Audi forums are littered with people looking for this type of info.

It's just by chance that I was in my dealership picking up a phone cradle and asked about it. The person I was dealing with,again by chance, had overheard a conversation internally about this that very morning and so was able to find the info.

As for insurance, it is very important to check. I had a long argument on another forum with an Audi user who informed me that I should simply have obtained type certification documentation from Audi that the winter wheel sets are Audi OEM and waved it at my insurance company.

I took the view that it was easier to find an insurance company that had no issues with it (Audi Insurance), and to know that in advance that I was allowed to do it. My view is that anyone who wants to wait until they are in a middle of a claim to start justifying their previously unrevealed use of different wheels and tyres from that which the car was bought with and insured is free to do so.

Most of us would probably prefer to know where we stand before we go ahead and do the changeover.

In my case, The AA were adamant I couldn't do it. I'm extremely pleased that I checked with them and had the opportunity to cancel my policy and go elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of us would probably prefer to know where we stand before we go ahead and do the changeover.

In my case, The AA were adamant I couldn't do it. I'm extremely pleased that I checked with them and had the opportunity to cancel my policy and go elsewhere.

I take it your refering to an insurance policy backed /offered by the AA.....If so I`am shocked....you`d have thought the fitment of winter tyres would have welcomed by an insurance company as they increase grip in cold weather...and hence reduce braking distances....and therefor reduce the chances of you making a claim.....but hey hoe thats insurance companies for you...any excuse not to pay out.:ffs:

• 2 weeks later...

well to answer my first question to the forum i have ordered my winter tyres and alloys from audi taken advantage of the audi winter tyre and wheels package although none of the local audi dealers knew about the offer audi uk had

well to be honest even audi uk didnt know anything would you beleive it absolutely totally unprofessional of a main manufacture not knowing their offers

come on audi pull your finger out!!!!!!

you should be pushing this offer via your dealers and sell it to your owners

• 3 weeks later...
well to answer my first question to the forum i have ordered my winter tyres and alloys from audi taken advantage of the audi winter tyre and wheels package although none of the local audi dealers knew about the offer audi uk had

well to be honest even audi uk didnt know anything would you beleive it absolutely totally unprofessional of a main manufacture not knowing their offers

come on audi pull your finger out!!!!!!

you should be pushing this offer via your dealers and sell it to your owners

Help I have an audi Q5, where do i buy the winter tyres from SLINE 255/65 20

thanks

• 1 month later...

We've just had one of our customers cancel a set of Audi Q5 Winter Wheels which he had on order under the Audi Winter Wheel Programme. These wheels arrived today so if any Audi owners are in urgent need of a set (normal order time is 6 weeks) then i'm happy to let them go to someone on here. The RRP is £1160 (VAT at 17.5%)

• 3 weeks later...