Squeaks and rattles from D3 interior

mik2855

I have a 2008 3.0Tdi Sport which has developed a really irritating zizzing noise from the dashboard area. Unfortunately, it's not there all the time although it mainly occurs when the car is hot and on bumpy roads. A friend has tried to locate the source of the noise with me driving but we haven't been able to identify it definitely although it seems to be coming from the glovebox area. I've tried padding out the glovebox lid but to no avail.

Similarly, the driver's seat has developed a creak from the backrest area which again only happens when the car is hot. I dont want to take it to an Audi dealer because sods law says that neither fault will show up when you try to demonstrate them to a mechanic.

Anyone got any idea where these noises may be coming from?

I had an intermittent rattle/fizz type noise coming from the glovebox area in my D3 some time ago, managed to trace it to a loose washer in part of the glovebox hinge and damper assembly.

You'll need to remove the glovebox to get to it. It's a bit involved, although I found some good guides on the internet. You need to remove the CD changer, unplug the power and fibre optic connectors, and remove the blank opposite it to access 2 bolts, there are 3 more in the side panel where the fuses live, 3 in the glovebox roof and 1 more underneath. With the bolts removed, the glovebox will come out with a bit of persuasion. You'll need to disconnect the lamp connector and a catch for the CD cables to remove it completely.

The bolt and washer is visible on the side of the glovebox and will likely just need a tweak with a screwdriver (probably worth putting a drop of loctite on also). Shake the govebox to see if any other sounds that need sorting.

If the glovebox is not the culprit, look at three other things whilst the glovebox is out

1. Any loose cables or connectors

2. The housing for the coin drawer can make a bit of noise, easily sorted with some sticky foam

3. One of the large multi connectors in the fuse area may be loose - same solution as 2.

Replacing the glovebox is the reverse of the removal, can need a bit of persuasion to line up properly, another pair of hands wouldn't go amiss.

Hope that helps.