HELP!!!Audi A4 2.0T SERIOUS ENGINE OIL PROBLEM

NightKID

However how many old audi's do you see on the road? The answer is none. They are only good for 5 years' max and then they are too costly to fix.

I beg to differ - I'm running a 7 year old B7 RS4, I've never had oil consumption over 1 litre per 1500 miles (and then only when it needed a service).

Oil consumption is greatly affected by how you drive the car in the first few thousand miles, drive it like you stole it and you'll be picking up big oil bills for the rest of the cars life but drive it sensibly initially and oil consumption won't be an issue for you.

The does appear to be many people suffering high oil use. Mines got worse in the last 5k but before that I was thinking my careful running in and warm up/warm down care meant I had ducked this issue.

Even just town driving appears to be making it drink more than it used to. I've a service coming up and from that point I'll start to monitor it.

I've a service coming up and from that point I'll start to monitor it.

That's most likely the cause, the oil becomes more volatile over use as it breaks down under the heat and pressure in the bearings - hence the oil consumption is lower in the first 6 months after a service than in the second 6 months (i.e. before the next service) - and also why oil usage is higher when you opt for AVS.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I recently bought a 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Fsi Sline 211bhp Avant. I've done 1000 miles in it and am about to put my 3rd litre of oil in it. I'm using Fully Synthetic Mobil 1 5w/30 oil which meets the Audi grade of VW504 00. I've rang Audi today and they see no notes on the service history of any problems and I've booked it in for an oil consumption test, 30 mins free, £72.00 for 30 mins after that, free health check and valet!

Not had an Audi before, I'm not a hard driver so take it easy in the car and am worried about what it could be, these forums have given me a heads up on what I could be facing.

question. The garage I got it from sell there cars with a 3 month 3rd party warranty, do you think I'll be covered under this warranty for any work that needs to be done from Audi? I just want to be prepared should the worst happen.

I absolutely love this car, really nice runner, no issues other than the oil, no smoke, burning smells, loss of power, so I'll do what I can to get it put right, it's reassuring that some people do say that they don't have problems so fingers crossed since this post was put on, Audi have a better fix for this issue!!

Thats insane!  1 litre per 1000 miles in the 4.2 V8s which are known to like oil at the very worst, but 3 litres into an engine half the size is six times the consumption, somethings definitely not right there.  Get Audi to check the car out and get everything in writing too in case you reject the car / attempt to get the supplying independent garage to pay costs.

• 4 months later...

Okay I get it. I bought my Audi A 4 as a treat to my self most expensive car I have ever owned. It is a 2011. In June 2o12 my oil light went on for the first time. I took it to the local dealer the service woman patted me on the shoulder and said these engines burn oil dear no worries. I have been getting my car repaired by a certified Audi mechanic not at a dealership.

My problem has gone from bad to worse I am constantly putting oil in this engine. When I went back to the dealer she said I needed to have a $700 piec put in my car to diagnose the oil problem.

I called Audi Canada where the very experienced customer service rep explained to me that the customer pays for diagnosis. I explained that in 40 years of driving a car I had never had this diagnosis. I told her that this diagnosis Is for a manufacturing defect and that I should not have to pay this. She went back three times to her superiors no luck. I then just said thank you but clearly understood that Audi and I did not have a value match. Any work I do I stand behind and if there are mistakes I acknowledge them and correct them. Audi is not that kind of business. They are just a car seller and repair business. No value or credibility match. So disappointing. I should add that my car is at 98000 kilometers so out of warranty so I have a car not three years old that I will have to dump and hope to get something for it.

What is the new car warranty?  80,000 km?

What were the miles when the fault was initially reported to Audi?

As it was 21 months ago (June 2012 you said), and it is high miles, was it within the 80,000 km at the time?

When did you start having it serviced by anyone but the main dealer?  What miles and when?  From when you bought it?  Didn't you think of taking out a warranty of it?

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

This oil use is common on the 2.0t engine. Lots of cars on various forums needing complete rebuilds just outside warranty. Audi seem to be helping towards costs

This is why I asked what I did.+++

I find it very odd that a car bought in 2011, with issues beginning in June 2012, should now only have 98,000 km on the clock and not to have been within the 80,000 km warranty in June 2012.  The point a problem begins can easily be cited as a reason for the manufacturer taking all costs.

However, I also find it odd that a 2011 car would have already being getting serviced by an independent only a year or 18 months after purchase.  That is, in my opinion, plain bizarre.

This is why I asked what I did.+++

I find it very odd that a car bought in 2011, with issues beginning in June 2012, should now only have 98,000 km on the clock and not to have been within the 80,000 km warranty in June 2012. The point a problem begins can easily be cited as a reason for the manufacturer taking all costs.

However, I also find it odd that a 2011 car would have already being getting serviced by an independent only a year or 18 months after purchase. That is, in my opinion, plain bizarre.

I guess it depends on the local Audi company, too. Audi UK are insisting as far as I can tell, that cars have FASH to get the goodwill outside warranty.

I guess it depends on the local Audi company, too. Audi UK are insisting as far as I can tell, that cars have FASH to get the goodwill outside warranty.

Absolutely chas, can't disagree with that.  However, they can't argue that non-dealer maintenance isn't acceptable as long as their guidelines have been adhered to.  I just don't understand how a new car in 2011 is being serviced independently in June 2012, and then 18 months later with 98,000 km on the clock it was out of warranty?  I'm guessing, I'll admit that, but it sounds to me like it must have been well within 80,000 km when the issue arose - and that means Audi have to answer for it, but only if correct servicing procedure has been followed.+++

She says the car is a 2011 car.

She took it to them in June 2012 with the issue.

She was having it independently maintained.

But here is why I'm guessing it must have been within warranty....

Audi Canada is 3 years or 80,000 km.

New car in 2011 = zero km.

Car now, in 2014 = 98,000 km

So, either the car did 80,000 in the first year or so of ownership and has only done 18,000 km in almost 2 years since, or there is another reason Audi are kicking it back.

I suspect I'm not the only one who smells more than dodgy oil.

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys we re looking to build a portfolio of cases to send to Audi and ask them for help on this problem.

If you have a problem or cure from Audi post on our form and we can compile the portfolio to send to Audi and the various governing bodies.

Check signature for link.

Many Thanks

Edited by autopedia