Audi Driver International - Castle Combe - Trackday Saturday 9th October - Pax laps

Mook

Ben (Shark_90 on here) from Shark Performance - Volkswagen Audi Seat Skoda Mercedes BMW Porsche Tuning will be there with a stand and his new Octavia track toy. I'll be there with the Golf, all branded up Shark stylee.

Call by the Shark stand if you want to talk all things remapping with Ben, or a lap or two out in his track toy, or a pax lap or two in the Golf track toy of joy :grin:

This has Not gone to plan.

Shark's track toy developed running problems. Finally fixed after he figured out the anti lag was fubard. Bit of rewiring and it's now fine. Sadly finished it at 4.15 with only 30 mins of track time left :rolleyes:

Oh, and Golfs don't like armco. I'm fine. Car's not. Will need wing, inner wing, bonnet, bumper, front strut mount and some bits of plastic :(

Pics when I get the chance for those of you who like to gloat :P

This has Not gone to plan.

Shark's track toy developed running problems. Finally fixed after he figured out the anti lag was fubard. Bit of rewiring and it's now fine. Sadly finished it at 4.15 with only 30 mins of track time left :rolleyes:

Oh, and Golfs don't like armco. I'm fine. Car's not. Will need wing, inner wing, bonnet, bumper, front strut mount and some bits of plastic :(

Pics when I get the chance for those of you who like to gloat :P

Well, that's why you run a separate track car, think how much worse it would have been if it was your daily as well!

Anyway, think how much lighter it'll be when you replace the wings with carbon ones as well, and does it really need a front bumper?

I'll echo Mook's comments.... it really didn't go to plan!

The A8 did 3 sessions unharmed, while mine was running cr@p all day until 4:15 when we finally got it fixed, and it was sweet as a nut for one whole session!! The TT that was with us popped a boost hose off twice, as did mine earlier in the day (nice to be towed off the track, I'm sure there's more pictures of that than it actually kicking ass!) and well, Mook's told you his story.

Not a great day had by the Shark Performance team, but hey, there's always next year...

Oh bollox :(

Glad your ok. Sounds like the Golf isn't too bad. There's been a lot worse happen there.

Hope it all goes back together ok.

Where did you come off Mook? I've had a few "incidents" at Combe including smashing up my brother-in-law's Formula Ford at Quarry. :)

On the straight about 50m before the Esses (chicane after Quarry). Braking hard and the back end locked up. I've crawled all over the car today and the brake bias valve has failed, causing the rears to lock up.

Marshalls commented that no-one comes off there. I was glad of that and now I know what the problem was. I need to look at the data analysis tomorrow and see exactly where the problem started.

Shame as I had six solid laps chasing down a bright green tweaked TT RS. No idea what they are as standard, let alone modified.

So what happened dude? You're heading for the chicane and the rears locked. Did you then go straight on into the tyres or was it trail braking and you spun out through the hairpin? What did you hit ?

Sounds really unfortunate for the bias valve to fail :(

So what happened dude? You're heading for the chicane and the rears locked. Did you then go straight on into the tyres or was it trail braking and you spun out through the hairpin? What did you hit ?

Sounds really unfortunate for the bias valve to fail :(

There's a straight after Quarry - going in a dead straight line (although the track has two small rises in it). Braking very hard before the Esses because the TTRS decided to not pass a white Audi Coupe, so I had to scrape off a lot more speed than I was expecting to have to. Back end locked in a straight line, but when you're doing whatever mph I was (not looked at the data yet) and the arse end locks up, it leaves some interesting number 11s down the track. Hit the armco on the front right corner.

But hey - I know there's a high risk to what is effectively is a very dangerous hobby - that's a big part of why I do it.

As my toys have got faster (and Jeez, the Golf was quick on Saturday, even though I was only running the wet weather map, so only 251bhp) the whole safety thing has come into it, hence the full cage, harnesses etc. Shame the new HANS lid I want isn't out til December, or I wouldn't have such a sore neck and shoulders.

It'll be back, just not as soon as I'd hoped - good winter project for me +++

Might up the power a bit as well ;)

Edited by Mook