MkV R32 Fault Code - anyone help?

lottiefox

The R32 hasn't had the best week. Last weekend a coil pack went but this was all sorted on Monday, and it seemed to be running fine and dandy.

Popped into APS today to get them to turn off the service indicator warning (they forgot when it was serviced about 3k ago) and a fault code was also thrown up - must have happened since Monday when the garage that switched my coil pack cleared down all the fault codes.

It said:

Cam position sensor fault. Upper limit passed.

It had only counted this fault once.

WTF does it mean?! Ed at APS said "its unusual" and to drive it over weekend then we'll run the scan again on Monday or Tuesday and see if it is recurring. If it is, it'll need to spend some time with them to see what might be going on. No engine management lights. Car feels fine to drive, although it may be my mind but I sense a wee flat spot on rare occasions at around 85ish. Could just be me looking for faults though, or my heavy foot trainers today.

When I see the word "cam" and "limit" in the same line as R32 I fret. Time for a switch back to a TT perhaps?!!

Thanks if anyone can help!

Lottie

Are you sure it wasn't LF length of ownership of a car. Upper limit passed ?

Sorry never seen or heard of that one, but hope it doesn't come back ! I have VCDS & find it so useful to keep an eye on things, really is very easy to use so I'd consider that to monitor it unless TTRSs have depreciated sufficiently now ?

Popped back to APS yesterday - fault code was back, and being thrown up constantly even when clearing it and then driving it into workshop.....Andy and Gary did some stuff on the VAG COM and think it may be an electrical glitch. Some twiddling and kind of unplugging etc and I took it away and will pop down later to see if it shows again. If its still registering its a cam problem. This is not good. Major engine work, gearbox out, yada yada....and a big bill. VW may help I guess, its only 3.5 years old, but I am really hoping it was a glitch on the sensor communicating with the car....fingers crossed....

TTRS still way too costly.......may have a quick shiftie at the TTS Used Approveds though.....;-)