Quick detailer recommendations

davyk31

About to run out of my current QD spray, use only as a drying aid. Have been using the Finishkare 425 which is excellent stuff, previously was using Megs Last Touch which I also liked a lot. Not sure whether to go for one of these again or whether to try something else. Also with winter on the door step the car gets almost immediately wet or dirty as soon as I take it out of the garage so ultimate looks are maybe not essential.

So whats are the recommendations??

Red Mist is not a QD strictly speaking. It has sealant properties that will last for about 3 weeks in normal weather conditions. Technically, I believe it is classified as a 'Protection Detailer' a bit like Pinnacle Chrystal Mist and Megs Ultimate QD etc

I like the deep wet look Red Mist produces but I do have an issue with applying it to relatively recently waxed paintwork - When the Red Mist wears off, it never seems to go back to that nice just waxed look - nor bead like recently applied wax, despite the wax which should still be underneath is still only say 3-5 weeks old.

One answer is to apply Red mist frequently, but then again, what is the point of applying the wax if you plan to add Red Mist on top and change the looks the wax provides? No right or wrong answers to this - just personal preference

It's very solvent heavy and in the process of application can potentially remove a little wax applied. From experience, I only usually apply Red Mist when I feel the wax is starting to struggle a little (beading less upright etc) and needs a boost. Great product still and has a place in my 'weapon bag'!

My favourite QD spray is Clearkote Quikshine. 2nd favourite is FK 425 - cheaper than Clearkote Quikshine and still looks great.

The FK 425 can be a little reluctant to buff well in temperatures of below 8 degrees say. It provides a glossy look - kind of a 'boiled sweet' look. I think FK425 looks better on solid colours rather than metallics as it gives the appearance of almost providing an acrylic layer if that makes sense.

The reason I favour Clearkote Quikshine is that it seems to restore the 'just waxed look' of the original wax used. It is also great on glass as well as sat nav screens etc as it resists future finger print marks. I haven't found anything that betters it to date.

Thanks T-T and I have noticed the FK425 a little harder to remove as temps dropped a bit, noticed it this week when there was heavy fog on the car, you could see marks where I would have been drying the car, kinda strange.

Where do you buy the Clearkote, what size of jars and cost?

I wonder how many we would need for a group by, it cant see it trading and importing at much less then £25 a gallon or more then £30? I cant believe we have issues finding 10 people who want a gallon of QS at trade! I dont know what postage is like when its here in the UK though. IRRC 1 US gallon "trades" at $18US and incs a quart sprayer.

I wonder how many we would need for a group by, it cant see it trading and importing at much less then £25 a gallon or more then £30? I cant believe we have issues finding 10 people who want a gallon of QS at trade! I dont know what postage is like when its here in the UK though. IRRC 1 US gallon "trades" at $18US and incs a quart sprayer.

I seem to recall paying £40 + fir the 1 gallon. Hugely expensive really! I'd buy 2 if the were £30!

I noticed a lot of the 1 Gallon jugs had gone up to £39.99 like PBs Spray and Gloss, then i notice alot of them went on clearence for £30 including FK425. At Serious Performance i used to pay only £30for QS, then he launched his own QD which is very similar though i feel has more noticable protection which promotes a bit more shine rather then that all around boost you get with QS.

$42 (£26.25 @ 1.6USD per £ according to my HSBC account today) is what a US Gallon runs at retail.