New to us Passat V5 Tip

cruiser647

A few weeks ago, I bought the wife a Passat V5 to replace the A6 Avant (which is too big, and the Passat to soooo much smaller.:rolleyes: And she wouldn't drive the Bora :rolleyes:).

Collected it from Inner Norfolk, and it is in a stunning deep blue metallic. It's the 170 20v V5 in the Passat B5.5. Heated leather, sunroof, good alloys. What a big difference in driving it compared to the Bora - like chalk and cheese, and we both know which is better. It also rides and handles and goes better than the old B5 1.8T I had. It goes well and sounds silky smooth at high revs with it's off-beat engine note +++

Wouldl have got a Golf V5, but they were double the price like for like, and quite rare in Tip form. This appeared at the right time at a low price, so grabbed it!

Had it valeted by the bloke who comes on site here and it looks fantastic! It's got 90K miles and goes well, does 38 mpg on my commute as I had to use it for while.

Only one issue (a possible biggy), the Tip box jerks when going into Reverse or Drive each time and also when it changes down from 5th to 4th. If you move it to Tip and rev it before downing to 4th, it's smooth as. Up changes are also sooth as. The VAG garage think it's due to a previous driver not stopping completely before changing gear. However, it seems OK to live with, and wifey doesn't seem to mind - not that she gets to 5th often, but will keep an eye on it for if it gets worse.

I never get my cars checked out by RAC before buying :eek: and in this case, I can rest assured that this would not have been picked up by them anyway. Nor anyone else, as no codes are generated and it's not obvious unless you know Tip/auto boxes. Sometimes, it's best not to change the fluid! :roflmao:

Ho hum!