Please help!!!! Golf mk3

mintykev

I have a 1997(p) 1.4 golf L. bought it 3 mths ago, after a few days, eng temp light started flashing, so i topped up coolant, everythin ok for a week then same again, spoke to the guy at local garage, he said theres oil in the coolant tank, could be head gasket gone, or the head gasket may have been replaced in past, and system wasnt flushed thru properly. havent had ANY running probs at all, no symptoms of anything wrong whatsoever, apart from having to top coolant up every week. dont wanna get head gasket replaced until i KNOW that it is the gasket. has anybody had the same prob, or any know how on this.......as you may have guessed i'm not very good on engine knowledge... PLEASE HELP!!!!! THANX. KEV.

It sounds like the headgasket or a leak some where radiator metal cooling pipes water pump???? Any visual signs of were its going coming out from? Possibly due to lack of coolant which has corrosion inhibitor in it at the correct strength can cause the water to corrode from the inside out... ie the head itself! but you may or may not get overheating. Is the cooling system pressurizing....pipes hard wit the expansion cap on? If its not been checked regular as the G12 is fill for life but still needs that magical -25C up to -30C for this contry to maintain corrosion inhibitor and antifreeze content and cooling capacity. Higher for other countries.....the Nordic etc find a reputable Garage dont assume let me know will try to help.