Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wytco0

Road Tax Free Car - Can you get any performance

22 posts in this topic

I am getting fed up with the amount of Road Tax I pay on my R32 and started to think how nice it woudl be to have a car with decent performance, which used very little fuel and which was Road Tax class A.

I think it would feel nice to not pay any more money in tax for the government to waste (I am perfectly capable of wasting my money without them). I cant avoid fuel tax but some of the new cars like the VW Bluemotion Golf and Polo and the Seat Ecomotives seem to help with fuel tax as well as they don't use much fuel, therefore less tax!!

I know R32 performance and road tax a is out of the question but how good performance is possible with road tax a?

Are any of these type cars any good to drive and further can they be modified to improve the performance?

The holy grail reasonable performance and zero road tax ;-)

I dare say any of the Bluemotion type cars can be remapped, being diesels probably a good gain too! you'd just need to change the horrible eco style bumpers and you'd have something that looked ok, had reasonable performance, and stuck 2 fingers up at the road tax system!

I actually quite like that idea, wonder if VW will do a Bluemotion Sharan?

I think the BMW 316d is below the tax bracket (at the mo) too.

Not sure if Shark has cracked the VW codes to remap!!

However, it still won't be anything like the R32!

What about the 320ED, It hits sixty in under 8 second as as standard, and can be mapped - Comes with proper tyres as well, EVO gave it 5*'s. I run one on my fleet and its a great drive, for a 2.0D, and just seems to run on fresh air!

Keep the R!

Hi Tim, good to meet you Wednesday.

Hey Paul good to meet you too, I am keeping the R for now, I would miss it too much if I got rid of it.

But we are doing so many miles at the moment that it would be good to have something that costs very little to run, that would allow me to save money to keep the R going ;-)

What about the 320ED, It hits sixty in under 8 second as as standard, and can be mapped - Comes with proper tyres as well, EVO gave it 5*'s. I run one on my fleet and its a great drive, for a 2.0D, and just seems to run on fresh air!

Yes I hear they are very impressive, a bit expensive and not road tax free.

All the VW blue motion stuff is pretty darn good to be honest with you. The older end of the line Sharan.........what a night mare came as blue motion with ADblue. The all new Sharan i must say is superb and comes with Blue motion technologies as do all the range now...........there was a guy not so long ago smashed the world record in a 1.6 Blue Motion Passat estate doing just over 1500miles to a tank of fuel!!!!!!!!

VW hold that record now for how long i dont know here is a link......Volkswagen Passat Bluemotion Sets Fuel Efficiency World Record - autoevolution

Yes I hear they are very impressive, a bit expensive and not road tax free.

Foc for the first year, then only £20 per year. Can be picked up S/H in the early twenties now. What's your budget?

Edited by Oli

Foc for the first year, then only £20 per year. Can be picked up S/H in the early twenties now. What's your budget?

Yes £20 is very cheap, however I have a problem with Governments and their ways of working (learnt from my 7 years in the Department of Transport in the early 80s) If they already charge for something its much easier for them to increase it and if its a small amount they will be happy to increase it a lot, so for example they will say that the lowest rate has fincresed by only £20 when in fact its doubled. However its much harder for then to make people pay for something that is currently free. Thats certainly not soay they wont remove the £0 band but I think they will find that harder.

Re budget, nothing set in stone but its for a second car and I would rather keep it below about £12.5 plus whatever I can get for our 06 Aygo black.

Yes £20 is very cheap, however I have a problem with Governments and their ways of working (learnt from my 7 years in the Department of Transport in the early 80s) If they already charge for something its much easier for them to increase it and if its a small amount they will be happy to increase it a lot, so for example they will say that the lowest rate has fincresed by only £20 when in fact its doubled. However its much harder for then to make people pay for something that is currently free. Thats certainly not soay they wont remove the £0 band but I think they will find that harder.

I can see what you're saying but I think you're overlooking the other way they can change the system - by moving the boundaries. There's nothing to stop them moving the CO2 threshold for £0 banding downwards, under the guise of being green, and thereby increasing the costs for existing cars. The previous government were quite happy to do this with 2001-06 cars, and although it was deferred after an outcry it could well be back in some form quite soon.

x16d > x20d are all the same unit :secret:

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days and I still don't know what it means!

What it means is that those models of BMW diesel - the 116d, 118d, 120d, 316d, 318d, 320d etc all use the same engine, but in different states of tune.

What it means is that those models of BMW diesel - the 116d, 118d, 120d, 316d, 318d, 320d etc all use the same engine, but in different states of tune.

And therefore, there is some flexibility in any of those models should you choose to take one to Shark Performance. :grin:

Other tuners are available. But they're not as good. +++

And therefore, there is some flexibility in any of those models should you choose to take one to Shark Performance. :grin:

Other tuners are available. But they're not as good. +++

Ah I c now that is interesting information ....

Is that difference only software, or internals too though?

Are the only criteria cheap tax and running costs ? I still reckon the Smart Roadster takes some beating for super-cheap running costs with a dollop of fun. They go for peanuts now too.

That I don't know. Shark'll be back to answer that one, I'm sure.

100% same engine. Software is the defining factor