Audi RS3 launch confirmed....

RedRobin

Sorry, your wrong, it's the A6's we have on our fleet that form the basis of my opinion, some people really do wear Audi tinted glasses, I know Audi is supposed to be the fashionable brand at the moment, but if your going to make statements about other brands like that, at least actually go and sit in them, rather than spout rubbish.

What, you mean like the one outside my house :confused:

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone needs to bare in mind we dont live in a communist country and people can choose how they spend their money and what they want to do.

Here is me for example:

I have bought a Golf R - which I agree is overpriced on the face of it.

However, I got a good deal on it and hope the residuals may be good due to rarity.

BUT

I also need a car I can keep for 3 years, as I use it daily for business (and therefore dont want anything out of warranty)

I can offset some of the depreciation off as business use.

As a financial adviser, I need to have something that is not too flash, as it rubs clients up the wrong way.

But, I also cant drive round in a Ford Cortina.

My g/f has a TT - so anything 2 seater is a non starter.

I found my S3 quite dull.

Having had my R32 nicked in a nasty robbery, I need something to fit in the garage.

I also hated the DSG on that car and dont want another automatic.

I live on a hill and 4wd was essential last winter. I got out when all my neighbours were stuck.

I also priced up a decent 135 Coupe and it worked out more than the R.

The Golf puts a grin on my face every time I drive it.

So thats just me.

Everyone else will have their own circumstances, so I reckon we should avoid insisting our own logic and criteria be applied to everyone else in the world.

I agree entirely with your views and comments, I am currently driving an "R" coming from facelift S3 via TTS route, and it cost me the princely sum of £31K new with 19's and Leather, and worth every penny.

The problem I have is having driven the TTRS, and coming from Audi 5 pots like the RS2 some years ago now, I absolutely love the RS 5 pot, absolute corker of an engine coupled with a manual box, but what do I buy? Might have considered SB option at a push, but with S Tronic? No fookin chance

Went back to TTRS couple of days back, and just could not go back to impracticalities of TT set up, even though loved the car to drive, as it is the first MK2 TT I have driven that actually feels as if the front end is planted, guess that is due to the extra weight up front, but miles better than TTS.

So what to do? Looks eventually like the "R" will be a keeper for the forseeable...........Audi you really fecked this one up big time

I assume your referring to the A6, I wasn't, I meant you obviously haven't been anywhere near a Ford.

Not recently, but one of my folks had a Mondeo last year. Not horrid by any means, but certainly not comparable on style or finish.

But then, that's an apples and pears comparison, wouldn't expect them to be of the same quality given the price tag.

Not recently, but one of my folks had a Mondeo last year. Not horrid by any means, but certainly not comparable on style or finish.

But then, that's an apples and pears comparison, wouldn't expect them to be of the same quality given the price tag.

Hang on - you're saying the Focus interior is gash, but all you've seen is a relative's Mondeo..?!

Right, so I get where your logic comes from then :coffee:

Hang on - you're saying the Focus interior is gash, but all you've seen is a relative's Mondeo..?!

Right, so I get where your logic comes from then :coffee:

As in last Ford sat and travelled in.....last Focus I sat in was an ST, and that wasn't great. Hence the comment.

Edited by ahankins

It's not so much what the interiors look like the day they come out of the factory.. it's how they wear.

We had a Toyota Verso, and it wasn't a bad car but after two and a half years it was really ready for the scrap heap. The interior was scratched and the seats worn. I've had my Q7 for two years now and I can take a duster to it and make it look great.. that's where the quality materials comes in.

It's not so much what the interiors look like the day they come out of the factory.. it's how they wear.

We had a Toyota Verso, and it wasn't a bad car but after two and a half years it was really ready for the scrap heap. The interior was scratched and the seats worn. I've had my Q7 for two years now and I can take a duster to it and make it look great.. that's where the quality materials comes in.

Within the family we have a 54 plate A3 sportback from new, first one in the stealers when it came out, still looks and drives like new, A1 inside and out and no issues as good as gold, however just illustrates how old the current A3 now is, to be spending £40K on, and when I compare the fresh and modern looks of the "R" interior,it makes the A3 now looks extremely dated.

Having nearly bought an RS Feckus, and seen the light after following the raft of quality issues on the owners club,I appreciate Ford and others have upped there game, but Audi interiors are top of the tree IMHO, cannot comment on new A4 or outgoing A6 as have not spent enough time in them, RS4 which I have had briefly was a top quality cabin.

As comparing VAG to anything French or Itlalian, last Italian motor I owned many moons ago, nearly killed me when the steering rack failed completely, like comparing the Citoen DS3 to A1 is absolute B@llc@ks as the Citroen is held together with Phlegm & Egg White and will be totally sh@gg@d after 3 years decent mileage, all things Nippon will be running smooth as single cream after three years, but interiors will be suffering like Joan Collins latest facelift.

Pays your money takes your choice............the real clincher for me, is the service & stealer component, and my Local Audi dealers are absolutely top notch, and have been for the many years I have been using them...........Ford? Absolute Crepe!!

I sat in an Insignia not that long ago and it's interior was a big surprise to me - very nicely finished indeed.

Mind you I also think the Mondeo interior is a nice place to be. I can't say I know what it's like after 3-4 years, but when new I was very impressed with the ones I've seen.

I think Ford and Vauxhall have made significant progress on interiors and they're certainly nowhere near as far away from 'Premium' marques as they used to be.

Having been out most the day in my Mk5 GTI (about 250 miles) I must say that I'm impressed with how well the interior is keeping after five and a half years. There's quite a few rattles but those are down to the VWR engine mounts and coilover suspension and don't bother me. The RS3 would doubtless feel very luxurious by comparison but I'm worried it might feel a bit bland. Also, talking today to Keith and Jim @ JKM who have driven the TT-RS quite a bit, they say that without a remap you don't get the same excitement as you do in a modified GTI or Ed30.

Having been out most the day in my Mk5 GTI (about 250 miles) I must say that I'm impressed with how well the interior is keeping after five and a half years. There's quite a few rattles but those are down to the VWR engine mounts and coilover suspension and don't bother me. The RS3 would doubtless feel very luxurious by comparison but I'm worried it might feel a bit bland. Also, talking today to Keith and Jim @ JKM who have driven the TT-RS quite a bit, they say that without a remap you don't get the same excitement as you do in a modified GTI or Ed30.

Perhaps but for somebody who isn`t into tuning etc and the fact the RS3 has 340bhp / 450nm torque from 1800-5600 approx is very good :D

I`m seriously thinking a second hand RS3 would be a great everyday car, especially returning over 30mpg.

Oh dammit, stop these thoughts!!!

Riz :rolleyes:

Have you won the lottery then riz :D

No quite....... I will have to think about this Audi RS3 once the reviews, videos and cars hit the streets!

So does this RS3 have real flared wheel arches like the RS4`s?

And what about carbon engine covers?

Riz :grin:

Edited by Riz

Perhaps but for somebody who isn`t into tuning etc and the fact the RS3 has 340bhp / 450nm torque from 1800-5600 approx is very good :D

I`m seriously thinking a second hand RS3 would be a great everyday car, especially returning over 30mpg.

Oh dammit, stop these thoughts!!!

I cannot see this car returning that sort of mpg in the real world, particularly in light of it's fairly substantial kerbside weight, as you would not get that sort of mpg with a TTRS so I am relaibly informed .

In regards to the "Bland" thing Red, lighting up your front wheels is always going to be more exciting than simply putting the power down through AWD, as was doing 100mph in the old cooper S, was like doing warp factor 10 in a garden shed full of bric a brac whilst being strapped limply to a deckchair.

Take my Golf R as an example:

Driving position,dynamics and steering are top notch,and if you know how to drive them, they dont understeer like a Wessex V6 engined Long Nose Enry with treadless boots on the front Mr Toff Noodle please take note! particularly when compared to an S3, does a GTI feel more "Exciting"? In a way yes, purely because it is lighter and less planted on the road

Mmmmmm naaaa its still way too much money!!!! :rolleyes:

There is only one other car for me, Porsche GT3.

Its a little out of my buget for a outright buy but lets say I dropped what a brand new Audi RS3 would cost (£40k) as a deposit for a GT3... mmmm....... its a option.

Also remember folks, a 2nd Audi RS4 Avant / Saloon can be bought for £40k approx too compared to the Audi RS3.

Part of me is wanting the Audi RS3..... mainly because of the following points.

Usable space

Fine blend of performance and economy incl good Co2 figures

Fast pace and no doubt the option to have the limiter raised to 175mph, 0-62 in 4.6secs is rapid, plus launch control.

A car which you can live with eveyday

The problem is that I tend to like rare cars and arent really into BMW`s or Mercedes.. apart from the CLK63 Black :grin:

What`s left????

Audi and Porsche I guess.

Riz :confused:

It depends which track mate. Angelsea the csl is the winner, silverstone the 6 would have it. There is no doubt about it the 6 is a fair bit faster in a straight line and has much more traction out the corners. The csl can go faster in and throh the corner however. A well set up gt3 will still eat a csl, no matter what cslers tell you ;)