Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedRobin

Audi RS3 launch confirmed....

373 posts in this topic

I would never put my name down nor a deposit until firstly test driving any car. A car may seem fantastic on paper but it's how it feels to drive which is so important. I want to enjoy every single mile, as indeed I still do with my Mk5 GTI after 90,000 of them.

Agreed RR, but there's not always that luxury. I guess it comes down to wanting to either take a punt or taking the risk that when you may get a drive all the slots are gone.

Agreed RR, but there's not always that luxury. I guess it comes down to wanting to either take a punt or taking the risk that when you may get a drive all the slots are gone.

....Spending even as little as £10k on a car is not something I'd be prepared to take a risk on by not getting a test drive. I absolutely understand what you're saying but it's too much like an arranged marriage.

Sounds like we are both in the same boat! :)

For me it comes down to an obsession with the RS3 which started way back in my boy racer days when even the original S3 was a dream car for me, and the RS3 was the ultimate hot hatch.

This dream has never really gone away especially after a great ownership experience with the MKV R32, and although I love my e92 m3, Im very very tempted...

I still have my MkV R32....but it's coming up for 5 years in the New Year and it's mostly driven by the doris with child in tow. It's never let us down, but I think it's time to move on. It needs to have the space and practicality, but I want the performance for myself!!

I suspect I'll put down a deposit then hold out as long as I can. Hopefully there will be some early reviews and that may be enough to sway either way.

....Think of it another way: 7 year old design (only the basic platform) is well proven....Exhausts sorted with Milltek oval quads....Nothing wrong with Audi's S-tronic, it's far more than an 'auto box'....

Awesome engine (same as TT-RS)....Excellent performance whether the car is heavy or not....Provides more than the Golf R and I'm a Golf fan. But each to their own.

If the Golf R and the RS3 were exactly the same price, which would you choose?

I've just received a christmas card from VWR and will be up there in January too. Perhaps we should meet up and invite Cheryl Cole along as well :grin: If you don't know already, VWR re-open on Jan 4th but are straight into a race prep so I'll be up there after the 17th, subject very much to snow! +++

Red my point is, this car should have been manual with three doors, there are plenty of "Performance Estate" options, why not shellout £35K for a mint RS4 Avant? Something that would tool this RS3.

In regards to the Golf R £2.5K with VWR and I get 330 PS out of a car that weighs 125kg less.........no brainer really.........whilst I agree DSG is the best product of it;'s type in the market,it is still an auto box, with all the issues of hesitation etc (Particularly when cold) and is either something you like or loath..........I have tried it and did not like it, as it takes away the driving experience, adds a lot of extra weight, which in the context of 4 wheel drive set up,which is obvioulsy intrinsically heavier than FWD or RWD set ups, is an extremely bad thing, we all know 4 wheel set ups are prone to understeer, so why the hell would you "pork up" a supposedly ultimate performance variant unneccessarily, resulting in the "Fix" of larger front tyres

to try and obvioulsy address the issue of understeer, word is that they had to come up with this, to try and cure a car that was understeering a lot more than they were comfortable with in testing,not good design practice IMHO, as it screams "Last minute Elastoplast Engineering"

I know I might be out on a limb in my views here, but I genuinely consider this car to be so wide of the mark in such a lot of ways, that I cannot consider spending £40K plus on it

If the RS3 had been 3 door manual, I would have been kicking down the stealers door with my deposit, and £40K would have not have been a problem.

In regards to comments about RS500 selling out, that is a whole different car and heritage line, add in the fact that Joe Public did not have a look in, as the likes of Pendragon registered there whole allocation, which should have gone to there Evans Halshaw dealers, but did not, and sold them on at a large mark up,check out Autotrader and you will see what they are trying to get for these cars (which in the flesh are pig ugly) also factor in 101 UK cars finished, and the analogy does not really stack up.

If Audi get over 500 orders, they will make over 500 cars, as they are running sporback production MY11 & into MY12, where as 3 door has ceased as they tool up production for the new A3, obvioulsy, initially in three door format, thus the reason for only supplying RS3 in sportback......

Might well take you up on that meet up at VWR Red, just as long as you promise not to bring along any of your "Biffer" Cole tracks........listening to that talentless bint, would ruin my day........the day she fecks off to the good old USA and joins that other musical genius called "**** I Am" or was it "I P Mypants" or something similar, cannot come to soon

Configurator now available on Audi UK's website.

Comes out at a hefty 43k with the goodies of choice. Still it's a better spec than a Golf R with goodies, and that came to 40k.

Just a heads up, Stealers were able to order there demo cars yesterday,first customer orders (22nd Jan as previoulsy posted) are currently being scheduled for"Summer" delivery, so you can take your pick on that one when they might actually turn up.

Demo cars will be registered to Audi UK, so will not be for sale from stealers until at least 3 months of being spanked about by TSNers and alike (Red in particular)

So it does appear that any prospective buyers will get the opportunity to have a blast and make up there minds about the car, before forking out.

In relation to the fully loaded Golf R price, nearly £4K of that is Recaros FFS totally insane! As against £2k for a a pair of RS3 pews?? Are the cows in Wolfsburg fed on sack loads of Saffron or such like??

I do agree the Golf R with a bucket load of extras is well overpriced, but I managed to get mine with an RP of £33K for Leather 19's and BTooth for a tad over £30K new, you can do a deal an R, you aint going to get the value of a used toffee wrapper of an RS3

Just a heads up, Stealers were able to order there demo cars yesterday,first customer orders (22nd Jan as previoulsy posted) are currently being scheduled for"Summer" delivery, so you can take your pick on that one when they might actually turn up.

Summer? Utter madness... £40-odd thousand for an 8 year old design and delivered in the same year as the new A3... madness.

Summer? Utter madness... £40-odd thousand for an 8 year old design and delivered in the same year as the new A3... madness.

....That can only be viewed as madness if you are intent on only wanting the latest model. Besides the RS3 is the latest evolved version and is not 8-years old. Every year a production line is updated.

The new A3 might look awful or have lots of teething problems... It might not... But we simply don't know. And what will it cost anyway? Will people feel happy about the price? Somehow I doubt it.

Just a heads up, Stealers were able to order there demo cars yesterday,first customer orders (22nd Jan as previoulsy posted) are currently being scheduled for "Summer" delivery, so you can take your pick on that one when they might actually turn up.

Demo cars will be registered to Audi UK, so will not be for sale from stealers until at least 3 months of being spanked about by TSNers and alike (Red in particular)

So it does appear that any prospective buyers will get the opportunity to have a blast and make up there minds about the car, before forking out.

....I don't know whether to think of this as good news or bad news, Ashley! :grin: Thanks anyway +++

In relation to the fully loaded Golf R price, nearly £4K of that is Recaros FFS totally insane! As against £2k for a a pair of RS3 pews?? Are the cows in Wolfsburg fed on sack loads of Saffron or such like??

I got to 40k without the Recaros! The Golf R does interest, but I feel like I'd be selling my soul after the R32. It'd have to be 10-15% to be of interest.

Well, I spec'd the RS3 with the Buckets, Bluetooth, Sunroof (but nae feckin' red 'tint' wheels) et al. I have to say and I got to £45k in a second. Given that my RS4 Avant at the end of production cost me not too much more that than that, the RS3 looks like a false dawn. Glad my R20 VW Golf will arrive in the Spring instead !!

Edited by TP27

4k for Recaros is just arse raping the ****ing stupid.

Is it not too much to expect a sporty car to come equipped with sporty seats? there was a time when if you bought the sports option (RS turbo, GTE etc etc) it came with Recaros or similar as standard.

When did it become an option? I'm fairly sure it's VW's fault, didn't they have the sporty seats as an option on the R32? makes a mockery of anything thats supposed to be sporty if you ask me.

Is it not too much to expect a sporty car to come equipped with sporty seats? there was a time when if you bought the sports option (RS turbo, GTE etc etc) it came with Recaros or similar as standard.

When did it become an option? I'm fairly sure it's VW's fault, didn't they have the sporty seats as an option on the R32? makes a mockery of anything thats supposed to be sporty if you ask me.

Yes, Recaros were an option on the R32 £950 for cloth and £2,600 for leather.

Yes, Recaros were an option on the R32 £950 for cloth and £2,600 for leather.

....And VW stopped offering the Recaro option in 2007. I bought some second-hand R32 Recaro's in 2009 and had them recovered in the GTI cloth. Having got used to them I wouldn't want a RS3 without them. The alternative would be custom upholstered alcantera wide version one-piece buckets from Recaro and they'd still be a cheaper option!

Any Audi with the RS badge should surely have sports Recaro's as standard! I higher performance car actually needs to give that extra physical support to a driver - It's a no-brainer.

The last RS4 and I believe the current RS's all have bucket seats as options. The full on seats can be too much for some people who want fast but confortable. They therefore give you the choice. I wonder if VW/Audi see it as a revenue generator or whether it keeps the base price lower. hhhhmmmm I wonder.

The last RS4 and I believe the current RS's all have bucket seats as options. The full on seats can be too much for some people who want fast but confortable. They therefore give you the choice. I wonder if VW/Audi see it as a revenue generator or whether it keeps the base price lower. hhhhmmmm I wonder.

....Doubtless VAG present the Recaro option as both a revenue generator and to keep the base price lower. Regarding comfort, both myself and my passenger daughter find my GTI's optional Recaro's are even more comfortable than the very good oem seats. Some people have tricky backs etc and so a seat can be critical, as can suspension.

Bucket Seats on my RS4 were a "no cost option", Nappa Leather was standard too !! The "Options" now make VAG a fortune on Factory Ordered cars !!

....Doubtless VAG present the Recaro option as both a revenue generator and to keep the base price lower. Regarding comfort, both myself and my passenger daughter find my GTI's optional Recaro's are even more comfortable than the very good oem seats. Some people have tricky backs etc and so a seat can be critical, as can suspension.

They are indeed very comfortable and set off the cabin quite nicely.

Bucket Seats on my RS4 were a "no cost option", Nappa Leather was standard too !! The "Options" now make VAG a fortune on Factory Ordered cars !!

Not only that but for the price VW leather / leatherette isn't reflected in the quality IMO

Not only that but for the price VW leather / leatherette isn't reflected in the quality IMO

Agreed - all I read on Forums is the "trouble" many folk have with the VW Recaro's !! It's a reason not to order them on the R, plus the £3,485 price tag !!!

Agreed - all I read on Forums is the "trouble" many folk have with the VW Recaro's !! It's a reason not to order them on the R, plus the £3,485 price tag !!!

Yes, I had a lot of trouble with mine at the start which was finally resolved by retrimming the seat and using an updated design of clip. The last thing I expected when I bought a R32 was to have issues with the seat and even more so at the price I paid for them. Back in 2002 when I ordered my LCR I ordered optional Recaros front and back and they were spot on, albeit they were cloth.

What colour of R did you order and what's the delivery time been?

What colour of R did you order and what's the delivery time been?

Rising Blue !! Ordered in October, no build date yet but I expect to get in late March - I'm in no hurry but it's price and VAT protected !