World Cup 2018- Is Football coming home (it's coming home-repeat)

Calm Chris

Well by about lunch time Friday we should know what the 'score' is, hopefully we will get a 'result'.

The English beating the Spanish, Portuguese and Russians- Beckham plays his best game for England.

It's our turn, and I'm full of hope that Wembley 2018 World Cup Final is a destiny that will be realised in 12-16 hours time. The voting system is a bit odd, 12 clear votes needed and a re-vote with the weakest candidate if no one gets the 12 vote 1st, 2nd or 3rd time.

If after all that it's a tie / hung vote then Blatter gets the final say.

The game is English and footballs coming home, it's coming home, it's coming home...........

Please assist me with some positive thinking guys +++

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll know long before lunch time Friday - the result will be before 4pm tomorrow. You can listen to it live on Radio 5 Live at 3pm.

Beckham has been positively epic - but I fear it is all a waste. I think the damage has been done between the reports of Treissman's comments and the BBC's excuse of a programme in Panorama. I just don't understand why the felt the need to tell everyone what was already known. FIFA are a private body that has no real rules against bribes. They don't have to go by any government rules and no report was ever going to change anything.

I hope to god we get it because with the other competing nations I can't see a better equipped country on this occasion. However, I fear it'll be going to Russia and we'll have to wait another 12-16 years before we get another shot at it.

Yes it's wrong, yes it's corrupt - but right now I don't see it happening.

If it does Beckham deserves a bloody knighthood. His performance in the press conference today was superb and he's certainly our 'heavyweight' in a sea of uninformed rehearsed tripe from Cameron and the best efforts of Prince William.

I'll have my fingers crossed and be leaping about if we get it.

If we do get it we'll simply know we paid the biggest bribes. (And don't give me any sh*t about us being above that sort of thing).

Frankly I hope we don't get it. For a start, w*nking on about football "coming home" for the next 8 years is going to make us look pretty f*cking stupid when we get knocked out in the group phase.

By the way, if we don't get it, it won't be the fault of a bit of investigative journalism. It'll be the fault of the English FA. So f*cking incompetent they can't appoint a chairman.

Edited by garcon

I agree on one point - if we have to put up with "Football's coming home" again then it's time to emigrate to a non-footballing country. Like Scotland.

I don't agree on the bribes side and us doing the same. Our press is too clever not to see it and then they'd royally shaft the FA.

I also do believe a lot of fault lies with journalism. The Panorama show was a farce. It's 12 year old rubbish from a proper nutter of a hack.

I can't say I hope we don't get it though. I'm a fan of football and we are, in general, a football mad country who would support a World Cup like very few other countries - and I want to go to a World Cup in my home country in my lifetime, so now would do nicely.

I agree on one point - if we have to put up with "Football's coming home" again then it's time to emigrate to a non-footballing country. Like Scotland.

I hope you get stuck in a snow drift and aren't seen until a week and a half into the tournament, when your pontificating countries participation is over!!

More likely to be a glacier if that was to work however

A big typo- I meant today (not Friday) as Mr Me said 15:00 is the time for the result.

The Russians think we've won, so with my optimistic hat on, who am I to be negative in anyway about our chances !

In 8 years time every single old boy England player will have retired, the new breed of youngsters. Fancy guessing some of the squad:-

Wiltshire

Gibbs

Richards

Smalling

Catermole

Rodwell

Landsbury

Carroll

Wellbeck

Sturidge

to name but a few- we will get it !

I think that a World Cup in England would be well supported, Russia would have similar problems that South Africa faced with the local people not being able to afford tickets. Which is a shame, but when you look at the prices that the Olympics will be then couple that with what some tourists, sorry loyal lifelong fans of Arsenal, have to pay to sit in the upper tier at my ground I doubt that they will be "cheap" for the everyday fan. But I would still go along, even if Scotland aren't present. Might go and watch one of my adopted nations.

But I fear the "football's coming home" publicity ad infinitum...

I think football is a load of old tripe and I fear having to put up with all the cr4p that surrounds a World Cup elsewhere, let alone here.

However, I am sure it is good for the economy and I guess we are probably ideally placed for it given the football infrastructure.

I'll just go on holiday for 4 weeks while it is on.

Violence is starting to return to football (it never went away, it was just hidden far from the grounds so that banning orders weren't imposed). Some cite it as due to the economic downturn that people are more and more angry and wanting a fight, but I think that is just an excuse.

There was 5 pitch invaders at Arsenal on Tuesday night, see what happens when you sell cheap tickets! Maybe the club is on to something with the high prices, you wont get Tarquin running onto the pitch in his brogues!

Yep, and has been for a few years now. Clubs don't want noisy fans, they want corporate guests who enjoy the matchday "experience" and want to enjoy £6 noodles at half-time and sit in comfy seats who applaud when a goal is scored.

Top notch leagues maybe but the vast majority of football players and fans aren't rich or corporate guests. I accept that the top tier is just all about making money. Even trophies are just a means to a financial end.

Football in the Premier League, or clubs, have alienated a lot of long time supporters - the likes of myself included.

I now go and watch Whitley Bay FC every week. We average a crowd of 400-700 each week but for the past 2 years they've won the FA Vase and had 2 trips to Wembley. It has been excellent.

The ground is okay - but the fans and atmosphere are superb. It's friendly, I can let our youngest run about the stands and behind the goal all throughout the game with a single issue. In fact when we played Bedlington Terriers last season she even put the goalkeeper off by telling him his socks were down - and Bay very nearly scored as a result of it.:roflmao:

It's interesting that our bid team are so convinced that England 2018 would be a commercial success, when Holland were predicting they'd lose something like 150M Euro.

Of course it depends how you fix the figures... I could see the FA making millions out of it at the expense of some of the venues, especially those with the most upgrade work to do.

That's not why Holland and Belgium are predicting the loss though is it? I thought their commercial figures were entirely different from everyone else because they have gone down the route of predicting the 'smallest carbon footprint' World Cup of all time - and that there was a lot of expense associated in producing that?

Top notch leagues maybe but the vast majority of football players and fans aren't rich or corporate guests. I accept that the top tier is just all about making money. Even trophies are just a means to a financial end.

Yeah I meant the premier league.

I was considering watching my nearest professional club this season, Woking Town. But when I check the price for a club 6 tiers below the premier league it put me off. £12 a game, compared to £29 per game I pay at Arsenal. Seemed steep in comparison to the entertainment on offer.

If you love football there can be as much (or more) entertainment down the road on the Sunday pitches as there is at Arsenal, Manchester etc

There's plenty who have been brain washed in to believing football is only about 20 prem clubs and can't see beyond that. as Mr Me pointed out there's a host of non league football that is high value, roots style football.

Anyway we digress- come on England....