World Cup 2018- Is Football coming home (it's coming home-repeat)

Calm Chris

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Panorama? Or is that being too cynical.

I honestly think that made little or no difference.

We already know that of FIFA's panel of 22, several are corrupt scum. Especially Warner. (And for us to be knocked out in the first round I suspect we lost the 3 votes he controls).

Maybe we should concentrate on bringing FIFA down. It's not as if there's much point us being a member with the team we have at the moment.

Eliminated in the first round - 4th out of 4.

I do sense that FIFA need to explain why - best bid (everyone says this), best facilities etc.etc. What goes on in FIFA behind the scenes will never be known, but I bet Russia found out how to 'tap in' to how to win the World Cup !!

Was it not a nightmare for Man U fans in Moscow, not so long ago ?

That said, the suggestion was that South Africa would be a "risk" but their WC seems to have been a success!

I'm wondering whether Russia played a blinder here...............they've clearly offered a bottomless pit of Funding too?........?

How was the last World Cup a success? Sure it was held in a new country and the first one to be held in Africa but the World Cup itself will be forever remembered as a dull and poor series of matches. The same will be for Qatar in 2022.

FIFA have to decide what thier goal is. Is it to stage the best tournament that it possibly can or do they just want to hold it in as many obscure places as possible, the Moon in 2042 maybe. Yes with gravity the games will be slow and boring but hay its never been there before.

Dont get me wrong i think its good for the game and the world that its held across the different continents but only when the individual country is ready. Qatar is not ready in any way and the entire bid was based on computer simulation. They have to spend massive ammounts and build from square one.

Qatar was the only nation from all of the bids that have been rated as "High Risk" yet FIFA ignored all advice and picked them because it does not base its decissions on football just politics.

So is playing in 40-50 degree heat best for the game, no. All matches will be played slow with regular breaks in play to take fluid on board. Well done FIFA.

The only way England could have won the 2018 bid was if they demolished all the stadiums and infostructure and made a "fairy tale" of how holding the WC would change our country forever.

The decisions were made along time ago before the final stages of bidding was completed and they have nothing to do with football. Putin was not there because he didnt need to be.

I honestly think that made little or no difference.

FIFA's panel of 22, several are corrupt scum. Especially Warner. (And for us to be knocked out in the first round I suspect we lost the 3 votes he controls).

Only Ex-Co member not to be present with his "own nation's" presentation was apparently widely commented upon

You'll feel really bad now if something happens

I keep hearing England had the best bid in their own opinion. Obviously not as Russia won.

Englands bid was far better than Russia, the only concerns FIFA had about the English bid hadn't contracted out accomadation and facilities. The fact that we have far more accomadation and facilites than anyone else and is needed seemed to go over their heads. Russia however don't have 1 stadium up to scratch (they're going to build 13 out of 16), their transportaion is poor it is rellying on air traffic upgrades otherwise they're sunk and although this is a european round of bids their time zones mean it will effect a european TV audience.

However Russia were far better at the behind the scenes stuff than England and unfortunately people have to accept that this is more to do with politics and negotiating than who will host the best World Cup.

The same will be for Qatar in 2022.

So is playing in 40-50 degree heat best for the game, no. All matches will be played slow with regular breaks in play to take fluid on board. Well done FIFA.

My brother-in-law lives in Qatar and reckons the stadiums will be capable of being indoor and air conditioned. He's in the construction business so is rubbing his hands...

My brother-in-law lives in Qatar and reckons the stadiums will be capable of being indoor and air conditioned. He's in the construction business so is rubbing his hands...

Indoor football is a sport in its own right. This is football and yes there are stadiums around the world with roofs but thats for extreme weather (like the snow) and to help the fields of play in top condition. Having the roof closed 24/7= Indoors and creates an artificial environment (like plastic pitches).

Indoor football is a sport in its own right. This is football and yes there are stadiums around the world with roofs but thats for extreme weather (like the snow) and to help the fields of play in top condition. Having the roof closed 24/7= Indoors and creates an artificial environment (like plastic pitches).

Totally agree - and I think it's ridiculous

The same sources that broke the news England went out in the first round and that Russia had won are now breaking new information.

They say that England's bid was immediately scuppered when the Panorama programme gave notice of it's intent to broadcast.

Sources say thet FIFA officials held a meeting and decided that for England to be given the World Cup would result in FIFA being hounded by the media even more. Hence, they went out in the first round.

Holland & Belgium beat them. Jesus wept.

It's corrupt, it's wrong, it's a shame - but we'd better get used to it. Forget 2030. No chance.

Sources say thet FIFA officials held a meeting and decided that for England to be given the World Cup would result in FIFA being hounded by the media even more. Hence, they went out in the first round.

So do they think this latest decision will result in the press backing off? Not likely, now that there is no chance of jeopardising the bid, the gloves will be off. If they think it was bad before...

Yep, 2 votes - the lowest ever. We were set up from the start of the corruption broadcasts. The men in grey decided it was too risky and they'd all end up in the papers - so they sent it to a corrupt country instead.

Qatar getting the 2022 tournament is equally astonishing. Media schedules for the 'mega buck' paying west of Europe will be in turmoil and it'll have a commercial impact. However, I wonder how much money Qatar has sent in the right direction? Hundreds of millions no doubt.

The only thing that comes out of this is the proof that FIFA are as corrupt as it gets. Forget all the rubbish about people saying we had a right to stage it - we didn't. However, only a fool would argue the bid wasn't immensely strong and no way in this world should it have gone out in the first round.

I can honestly say that I hope the press go on a witch hunt now. I really hope they bring down every single on of the executive committee. I think FIFA are in for a very, very rough ride.

Also confirmed now, from a committee member, that prior to the vote commencing Mr Blatter pulled all executive members into a room and gave them a 'pep talk in which he reminded them of recent media coverage that should not be dismissed when casting their vote'.

Laughable, absolutely laughable.